• Register Today It's free!

2002 4x4 issues

Ddgrass

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer Eddie bauer
Hello, I have a 2002 explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0l and the 4 wheel drive doesn't work. All the lights work properly. They don't blink. I can hear the module click. If I put it 4 low, the gear ratio changes as it should. But no power is transferred to the front wheels. I have read a lot of the threads on this site and can't find one that has this problem. Thanks in advance for the help. This is a great site!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have this exact problem with my 2003 4.6. Haven't figured it out yet. I suspect the electromagnetic clutch in the transfer case is dead but haven't been able to look into it.

Hello, I have a 2002 explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0l and the 4 wheel drive doesn't work. All the lights work properly. They don't blink. I can hear the module click. If I put it 4 low, the gear ratio changes as it should. But no power is transferred to the front wheels. I have read a lot of the threads on this site and can't find one that has this problem. Thanks in advance for the help. This is a great site!
@Ddgrass
Is no power transmitted to the front wheels in either 4X4 HIGH or 4X4 LOW? Both depend on transmission of torque by the electronic clutch to the front driveshaft.

I would check for the presence of 12 volts on the brown wire entering the back of the transfer case, with 4X4 HIGH button depressed. If NO VOLTAGE, look for trouble in wiring, connectors, etc. Check fuses. The shift motor operates ONLY to shift into and out of 4X4 LOW, nothing else. If voltage is present to feed the clutch, and no torque is transmitted, the clutch is likely defective. Could be it's coil is open-circuited, or the clutch mechanically inoperative. imp

What you're describing is what I'm experiencing. Thanks for the tips.

I get no power to the front wheels in either hi or low. I will test the brown wire this weekend. Thank you for the advise.

Back