M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 63 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah, that power level and the weight, maybe wheel hop, that high load did it in.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

v4mV817.gif

Sorry bro...

If you can fit an astro in i'd agree that would be your best option. It would handle the power and you'd not have to dink around with trans tuning. You might not want straight gears though. Nice going down the track but kinda sucks when you want to cruise to the burger joint, or anywhere else. Using a clutch pedal is work. Needing to double clutch to get into gear is twice the work. And then there is the noise..

I've know guys with stock T-5's that lasted many years behind 500hp supercharged 5.0's. I blew 2 up in my stocker. They really only blow out on high rpm missed shifts, mostly 3rd gear of coarse.

An astro with their beefier heli-gears would be a great match, imo.

What about the shifter location?

v4mV817.gif

Sorry bro...

If you can fit an astro in i'd agree that would be your best option. It would handle the power and you'd not have to dink around with trans tuning. You might not want straight gears though. Nice going down the track but kinda sucks when you want to cruise to the burger joint, or anywhere else. Using a clutch pedal is work. Needing to double clutch to get into gear is twice the work. And then there is the noise..

I've know guys with stock T-5's that lasted many years behind 500hp supercharged 5.0's. I blew 2 up in my stocker. They really only blow out on high rpm missed shifts, mostly 3rd gear of coarse.

An astro with their beefier heli-gears would be a great match, imo.

What about the shifter location?
I run a 06 4.0 sohc t5 with the zpec tailshaft and gear set right now..its the traditional fox body shifter and location. ..

I didnt miss a shift or anything like that,i was in 2nd and just punched it...the trans are rated in torque not hp..my hp and tq are not all the way up right now,my tuner has it pulling all timing past 3k and over 130* to save my motor,i was having problems going lean..he wanted me to fix the issue but be able to make a pull to make sure my issues was fixed before i came back...

but i definitely was wayy over the limit for this trans at 3k.. i had my friend that is like 300 lbs plus a full tank and 2 5gallon jugs in the bed,we just went on base to fill up...he told me to hit it when i pulled out and was in 2nd..lol the extra weight plus the wheel hop probably did it...

I've got 2 M5s in the shop still, both HD versions. One from a 03 sport and one from an 02 4dr.

I've got 2 M5s in the shop still, both HD versions. One from a 03 sport and one from an 02 4dr.
If i get desperate and just need the thing to move,i might throw one in it..but honestly im over this truck so its probably gonna sit for awile

I'm pretty sure I have the clutches and flywheels from the trucks they came out if too so it would be a direct swap. I'd trade barter ect..........

I'd like to see you try the 4dr m5, it looks way more stout than the regular hd m5

20170901_163652.jpg

That sounds promising. You don't want to have to go with much more expensive, high end aftermarket transmissions.

Well finding a 4dr 3rd gen explorer with a 5 speed is almost as hard as coming up with the money to buy a bunch of performance parts. It's a 2002 only thing and not many were made so finding replacement parts other than your normal synchros will be fun. You never know, it was actually ment to be put in a heavy suv with 245hp stock so it might last in a juiced ranger that's 1000lbs lighter.

Well? Any updates?
Nope .have haven't had time to even mess with it..did try to start it the other day and it would bot start at all..

It has about 20 gallons of ethanol in it so its all probably bad..going to probably need to drain tank,clean filters and pull injectors to be cleaned..pulling injectors is a HUGE PIA!!!

Ya its a chore that's for sure. I'm curious to see what kind off numbers that setup with make. I'm going back together with a similar 4.0l hooked to a 700r4.

I see that you ended up going with bronze valve guides. Where did you get new guides from?

I see that you ended up going with bronze valve guides. Where did you get new guides from?
They were for a different application in machine to fit

Man the exploding transmission issue reminds me of when I blew mine up in my Z71 right after I installed a freshly built motor. My Chevy is a 5 speed, and I killed three 1/2 ton transmissions. The 1/2 ton was rated at 300 ft lbs of torque, and I probably have around 375 - 400. I blew up the original one, blew the 1-2 gears and shift rail on the 2nd one, and forced the 3rd one to last eight months before I blew up the 10 bolt rear end. I finally gave up and bought and installed a 1 ton transmission (NV4500) and used a ceramic clutch after replacing my 10 bolt 1/2 ton rear for a light duty 3/4 ton rear (14 bolt). I blew the first locker and limped it along until I got the detroit trutrac locker.

So I understand your frustrations.

Back