Interior Door panel issue / separation | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Interior Door panel issue / separation

I just got my letter stating this was now going to be covered. I had called the ford house where this vehicle was purchased 4x! I also went up there once with the promise I would get a call back with some type of information. No one ever called me back. The only answer I got on one of the phone calls was, we are sorry you are upset, but it’s not covered under warranty. I have never had more crappy vehicle in my life, nor worse customer service from a car dealership where you actually purchased the car from. Should have stuck with the Chevy.

83A2E4B8-57EF-4E37-A13C-88181EC122E6.jpeg

AE5D3F8B-03D3-492B-A405-7F9674C9E4AA.jpeg

E5EE5ABF-C33C-4E0E-A64F-CF4B623BAFB3.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got my letter stating this was now going to be covered. I had called the ford house where this vehicle was purchased 4x! I also went up there once with the promise I would get a call back with some type of information. No one ever called me back. The only answer I got on one of the phone calls was, we are sorry you are upset, but it’s not covered under warranty. I have never had more crappy vehicle in my life, nor worse customer service from a car dealership where you actually purchased the car from. Should have stuck with the Chevy.
Your experiences with the dealership and with the Explorer seem to be the exact opposite of my experiences. If there are other Ford/Lincoln dealers around why not go to them? I certainly would consider doing so if I was in that situation.
Also, please complete your registration by adding the 'Required' "Trim Level" (Base, XLT, etc.) to your profile so it appears in the margin. That can be useful info to have at times. Thank you and good luck.

Peter

I had my Exploder in for service yesterday, and the dealership said it's now a recall and they'll be fixing it as soon as some specialized tool they are waiting on arrives from Ford.

wow, the photos above are disgusting. between that and the armrest splitting (mine has split twice, the original one and the warranty one as well) , these door panels are pure JUNK!

I've noticed in the last couple months that my arm rests are splitting at the fake seam, too. 5 yrs, 70k miles.

My 2015 Ex is at the dealer now getting this issue serviced. Will post back once complete. Also getting the carbon monoxide FSA done.

Showed the service writer the letter I received - guess he is informed now.

I haven't received any letters for this or the CO issue, but I've moved since I bought My explorer. I wonder if my letters are getting bounced back.

I haven't received any letters for this or the CO issue, but I've moved since I bought My explorer. I wonder if my letters are getting bounced back.
The letter is for the door panel separation and not for the armrest issue which has its own thread; Any way to repair armrest?

Peter

Anyone had theirs fixed? Do you still see "wrinkles" in the panel after fixing?

Not happy with recall repair

We found this forum looking for more information. My husband drives a 2014 Explorer XLT. We noticed last spring that the driver's side door panel near the window was loose. He took it into the dealer. The dealer said that there was nothing they could do, there was no repair from Ford. They could replace the door panel but it would cost us over $300. He came home and glued it himself. We recently got the recall notice for the door panel coming loose. He took it in and they "fixed" it. But now it all bumpy and looks terrible but the dealer says that it meets Ford's standards. The dealer had told him it was because he glued it, but it looked better before they "fixed" it. The paperwork says it's a one time repair. Does anyone know what our options are? We are not mad at the dealer but want a door that looks good.

Not happy with recall repair

We found this forum looking for more information. My husband drives a 2014 Explorer XLT. We noticed last spring that the driver's side door panel near the window was loose. He took it into the dealer. The dealer said that there was nothing they could do, there was no repair from Ford. They could replace the door panel but it would cost us over $300. He came home and glued it himself. We recently got the recall notice for the door panel coming loose. He took it in and they "fixed" it. But now it all bumpy and looks terrible but the dealer says that it meets Ford's standards. The dealer had told him it was because he glued it, but it looked better before they "fixed" it. The paperwork says it's a one time repair. Does anyone know what our options are? We are not mad at the dealer but want a door that looks good.

I had the same issue after "repair." My passenger side door panel was almost totally unglued. I was going to have my father-in-law fix it until I got the recall notice. I was glad when it came in because I THOUGHT they would fix it better than we could ourselves. Boy was I wrong. They told me they would staple it. After I picked it up and began looking at it, I was completely disappointed. There were wrinkles all over the panel still. I took it back a few weeks later and told the service rep that it looked like crap. He went and looked at it and agreed. He took pictures to send to Ford to ask if they would replace the door panel, in which they obliged. He was a bit surprised how quickly they agreed on fixing it. I now have a brand new door panel. I would push your service department for this. This is an manufacturing issue and they need to stand behind their work.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your experience gives us the push to take it back to the dealer. I will let you know what happens. Janet

My local dealership is waiting on the repair tool kit for the fix. Here is a youtube link to view the proposed corrective action by the dealership.

My local dealership is waiting on the repair tool kit for the fix. Here is a youtube link to view the proposed corrective action by the dealership.

Holy cow that's a lot of staples. That should solve the issue permanently.

That seems to clarify the issue. It is the trim separating from the panel, not the panel itself pulling away from the door.

Peter

So glad I found this forum. I was considering gluing it back down as someone said they did. I will take mine to a dealer and have them do it, although it doesn't seem that hard to do by myself if they give me an issue.

I received a letter from Ford about 3 months ago. They acknowledged panel problems and said they would fix them at no charge, no limaleg limit.

Thankfully the dealer Harold Ford fixed it for me about 2 months before getting that letter at no charge.

So glad I found this forum. I was considering gluing it back down as someone said they did. I will take mine to a dealer and have them do it, although it doesn't seem that hard to do by myself if they give me an issue.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

I received a letter from Ford about 3 months ago. They acknowledged panel problems and said they would fix them at no charge, no limaleg limit.
Spell check not working?:D

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

phone spell check is terrible :)

No mileage limit on door repair

Back