AA7KN

Reaction score
City, State
Livingston, Texas ( home)
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Explorer 4.0
Callsign
AA7KN
Hi, I have a 1996 ford explorer xlt 4.0l V6OHV engine. love the car, but I have this one issue. when the climate control switch is set to defrost or heater positions, ( turned to the right) I have noticed that my A/C compressor is also on. is this correct ? I would think that rotating the switch to the right would NOT turn on the A/C compressor. anyone see this before ? any ideas what I can do to fix this ? Thanks...Happy Exploring

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's normal. Ac is needed to remove moisture from windshield during defrost. The compressor will intermittently engage during normal operation to keep the seals in condition. All good.

It's normal. Ac is needed to remove moisture from windshield during defrost. The compressor will intermittently engage during normal operation to keep the seals in condition. All good.
Wow. OK. So even in the heater mode it comes on sometimes ? Thanks.

Wow. OK. So even in the heater mode it comes on sometimes ? Thanks.
Totally normal, over 40 degrees or so. Even older Fords did it.

So let me get this right. When in heater mode, defrost mode , I guess all mode except for vent. The a/c will cycle on and off ?

So let me get this right. When in heater mode, defrost mode , I guses all mode except for vent. The a/c will cycle on and off ?
gary-busey-thumbs-up.jpg

https://memegenerator.net/img/images/14841805/gary-busey-thumbs-up.jpg

I'm confused about what the OP is saying. Does he mean A or B?

Condition A:
Defrost ON
Temp set to heat

Condition B:
Vent ON
Temp set to heat

In Condition A, the A/C compressor should be ON. But in Condition B, the A/C compressor should remain OFF.

Thanks guys for the input. I guess I won't worry about it. all good.

Back