2001 Body Mount Bushings Replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Body Mount Bushings Replacement

hotdiverod

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4x4
I replaced 2001 Explorer Sport Track body mount bushings. The bushings had deteriorated to practically nothing. I replaced with polyurethane bushings that fit great. I recommend using an impact wrench. I purchased a Craftsman Impact Wrench, worked great. Probably would not have been able to get old bolts off without it. Also had to use pretreating oil as the bolts were rusted through.

prothane-6116-large-2.jpg

20161111_180752.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ Ditto

Looks just like mine, I have been putting it off for two years. I did my son's truck two years ago and have not wanted to do it again. Maybe a next winter project.

Yes, took me 2 full days. While under the truck, I also replaced sway bars and stabilizer bolts.

Yes, took me 2 full days. While under the truck, I also replaced sway bars and stabilizer bolts.

I did mine over 2 days also. The second side went much faster. I didn't bother replacing my "D" bushings, as they are made of a different material and were still in great shape. Changing the bushings made a HUGE difference in ride & control and made my doors align again. Replacing my upper/lower ball joints and sway bar end links hasn't hurt either. The ride before changing the body mount bushings was horrible to the point of being dangerous. One time, before replacing the BM bushings, I was driving on an extremely rough road, was rounding a curve and I got bounced into the oncoming lane. Fortunately there was not another vehicle in that lane.

Did you torque the bolts to the recommended settings? (41 ft lbs for the "A" bushings and 59 ft lbs for the others). That seemed awfully tight and was actually a bit hard to do, but if you don't you'll get clunking. I found the "A" bushing's metal washers were too thin and were bending under the touque, so I doubled them up with the original OE washers. I still need to go back and re-torque the bolts, as recommended in the instructions, but they seem fine.

Back