Upgrading 2016 Explorer to Sync 3 - FORScan questions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading 2016 Explorer to Sync 3 - FORScan questions

My neighbor works for the dealership where I bought my car. Their official stance is that you can't upgrade it but the techs were cheering me on unofficially. It was pretty easy as the 2016 and 2017 Explorers are practically the same car.

I just got a highly rated OBDII Bluetooth adapter off of Amazon and downloaded Forscan to program the APIM. You use a VIN for a 2017 model with the same specs as your 2016 for the programming. For mine, I didn't have to change anything.

Everything works with the exception of the reverse top down proximity overlay. Very minor.

Very easy upgrade.

Ford IDS uses the VIN for programming so it won't be able to program a Sync 3 APIM in a car that came with Sync 2 however Forscan works fine for this.

Flank Guard(proximity display) should work fine if programmed correctly. Check 7D0-02-02 xXxx xxxx xxxx, mine is set as 0300 8000 005E and this is working.

You can also improve the park assist display if you have this function by editing the PAM module to the same settings as a 2017

HMI Display type - 736-03-01: xxxx xxx8 xx (change from 0-Sync 2 to 8-Sync 3)

FORScan 2011-2018 Explorers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford IDS uses the VIN for programming so it won't be able to program a Sync 3 APIM in a car that came with Sync 2 however Forscan works fine for this.

Flank Guard(proximity display) should work fine if programmed correctly. Check 7D0-02-02 xXxx xxxx xxxx, mine is set as 0300 8000 005E and this is working.

You can also improve the park assist display if you have this function by editing the PAM module to the same settings as a 2017

HMI Display type - 736-03-01: xxxx xxx8 xx (change from 0-Sync 2 to 8-Sync 3)

Thank you for the information - very helpful.

Thank you!!!! Mine was set to 0200 0800 00E5. I changed it to 0300 8800 00E5 and I now have the overlay!! The list of codes and their meanings do not clearly call out these few variables for 7D0-02-02.

I have a 2016 explorer sport that I recently upgraded to a sync 3 spin from a 2017 edge platinum. Install went great. Added back the heat cooled seat icons via forscan. Also disabled beep beep when engine running, enabled double press panic and a few others.
I am still having one lingering issue...the front camera. I have a hard button just below the screen, but is does not work. I changed the values of APIM 7D0-01-02 xxxx_xxXx xxzz from 0 to 1 without effect. I even tried a value of F to and got the phev screen in the ford apps...but no front camera. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Got it sorted. I had to enable 360 view and split screen via forscan. I found this information on the f150 forum.

Wait, 360 works on your Sync 3? Or did flipping those bits just get you back to where you would have been before the upgrade?

360 plus split plus fc (front camera) edits to forscan got me back to where I was...front camera...push twice and it enables 180 split view. Definately not a top down 360 view.

Thanks for the link. One question, can I use APIM from any Ford with Sync 3? F150, Edge, ....

Thanks, M
Yes you can, as long as that APIM is a sync3 one. The display is also the same from vehicle to vehicle. The only difference is the mounting bracket. You may have to acquire them or make it yourself. The sync3 display is a little wider than the MFT display.

Yes you can, as long as that APIM is a sync3 one. The display is also the same from vehicle to vehicle. The only difference is the mounting bracket. You may have to acquire them or make it yourself. The sync3 display is a little wider than the MFT display.
FYI, the member was last active here on Feb. 2, 2018.

Peter

Back