Red flags when buying used 2013-14 Police Explorer / Utility | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Red flags when buying used 2013-14 Police Explorer / Utility

crownvic

Reaction score
City, State
Nunica
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 CVPI...2014 PIU
EDIT: sorry, this probably belongs in the PIU Sub-forum. I'd move it if I could

Hey all,
I'm moving up from a Crown Vic P71 to a Police Interceptor Utility. I'm looking for some things to watch out for. So far my list is:

1. Bubbling paint on hood
2. Water marks in spare tire well or leak marks on roof seam
3. Exterior window trim getting loose (seems easy to fix)
4. CO in cabin (Just going to use a household CO detector)

Anything else I should look for on 2013 or 2014 PIUs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Biggest concerns are going to be how it was maintained beyond basic oil changes. Probably going to need a trans flush and fill. Probably want to change ptu lube. Probably want to check how it was decommissioned as a lot of places just seem to pull lighting and cut wires and leave stuff unfinished.

Home CO detector isn't really useful - you'll want a CO monitor (basic one ~$150).

The hood corrosion issue is what it is.

The other big issue that people are worried about is the internal water pump, but all you can really do is check for low coolant and/or coolant in oil.

EDIT: sorry, this probably belongs in the PIU Sub-forum. I'd move it if I could

Hey all,
I'm moving up from a Crown Vic P71 to a Police Interceptor Utility. I'm looking for some things to watch out for. So far my list is:

1. Bubbling paint on hood
2. Water marks in spare tire well or leak marks on roof seam
3. Exterior window trim getting loose (seems easy to fix)
4. CO in cabin (Just going to use a household CO detector)

Anything else I should look for on 2013 or 2014 PIUs?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I've moved your thread to this sub forum since there may be issues unique to the PIU. Good luck.

Peter

I recently bought a 2013 off of the interwebs, just took a chance and put it in the driveway. From that experience, I can add to make sure that it has a spare tire. Mine was missing, new 18x8 rim and an Eagle RS-A $500.

I would also add that you'll want the center console metal "base". Without it the center is, well, exposed, with a wire jumble, between the cut out sections of the center mat. Mine came with the thing un-installed sitting in the back. But I quickly decided it needed to be put back.

So far so good on everything else. You'll like it.

The 75 mph rear crash rating is with the spare tire in place, but a lot of departments remove it to add a storage divider in it's place. I would assume they just put the spares into inventory and use them as needed, so they probably aren't around to be put back in the vehicle when it is eventually sold. Buyer beware - do your due diligence just like with any other used vehicle purchase. Inspect if you can. Test drive if you can. Review maintenance records/vehicle history if you can. Good luck.

Also # 3 was also recalled on mine. They stapled it together; no more glue. So that is not an issue.

Also # 3 was also recalled on mine. They stapled it together; no more glue. So that is not an issue.
#3 mentions Exterior window trim, not the interior door panel.

Peter

Thanks for all your replies. Wife now approves of a new "Blues Mobile." I'll post pics when I can.

Back