2002 Explorer with a broken servo piston in a 5R55W transmission. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer with a broken servo piston in a 5R55W transmission.

Toddh2000

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Ford Explorer
Hello all, I am working on my sons 02 Explorer 4.6l 5R55W transmission. It was having a shifting issue. I read online about the o/d and int. Servo pistons failing. I ordered a kit. When I pulled out the intermediate piston the tip was broke off and wedged in the case. The O/D went in perfect. Well not to be defeated I thought I would drill into the broken piece and pull it out. WRONG! Cannot find a bit that will penetrate the broken piece. Any suggestions?? Has anybody else experienced this issue?? Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Your thread was moved into the transmission section. Use a sheet metal screw to dig into it. You could pull it out this way much easier than if you make a hole then try to poke something into it. You don't want to get metallic dust into the transmission from drilling into it.

Welcome to this forum! Your thread was moved into the transmission section. Use a sheet metal screw to dig into it. You could pull it out this way much easier than if you make a hole then try to poke something into it. You don't want to get metallic dust into the transmission from drilling into it.

I will give it a try. Thank you!

I would suggest using a slap hammer with the screw but there isn't enough room to do this with the transmission in the vehicle. That method would probably remove it in one or two shots. A welding stud gun will work if you could get it to stick on the iron center (not the outer aluminum area). Then you wouldn't have to make any screw holes or dust.

You will need a carbide bit to drill into that hard metal. (not the carbide bits for concrete) Buy them at an industrial supply house, costs about $20 but last forever.

Im
Hello all, I am working on my sons 02 Explorer 4.6l 5R55W transmission. It was having a shifting issue. I read online about the o/d and int. Servo pistons failing. I ordered a kit. When I pulled out the intermediate piston the tip was broke off and wedged in the case. The O/D went in perfect. Well not to be defeated I thought I would drill into the broken piece and pull it out. WRONG! Cannot find a bit that will penetrate the broken piece. Any suggestions?? Has anybody else experienced this issue?? Thanks in advance!
In the same boat did u get it out and how please

Back