stephens sporty 94 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

stephens sporty 94

Hey, my names Stephen I live in Hamilton, MT and I've been lurking on this forum since I got my first X, it was a 1993 eddie baur that was kinda beat and only had 126k on it. but after discovering this forum I've regretted getting an auto after hearing how much of a pain they are, so not wanting to get invested in something that was bound to fail. That brings me to today! I found a clean 1994 sport, the man who was selling said it was his dads and he bought in 1996 for 11,000 and trading in his 1989 bronco XLT. I decided with how clean it was and some dickering I got it for $2100 with 123k miles on the 6 digit odometer. I'll get some more pictures tomorrow, but its the cleanest X I have seen in Montana.

bAAdo2E.jpg

9RNYhI6.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was looking through your thread and noticed your gear choices. When I was looking at gearing, I found out that no one makes a 4.88 gear set for the reverse rotation D35. It was several years ago so things might have changed. That would leave you stuck with 4.56 or 5.13. I went with 5.13's with my 35's and they are working out very well.

I never broke anything with my D35, the TTB just wasn't working for me. I got tired being tippy all the time, the on-highway death wobble, and the body roll.. I like the SAS because of how stable it is, on and off road.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

I was looking through your thread and noticed your gear choices. When I was looking at gearing, I found out that no one makes a 4.88 gear set for the reverse rotation D35. It was several years ago so things might have changed. That would leave you stuck with 4.56 or 5.13. I went with 5.13's with my 35's and they are working out very well.

I never broke anything with my D35, the TTB just wasn't working for me. I got tired being tippy all the time, the on-highway death wobble, and the body roll.. I like the SAS because of how stable it is, on and off road.
Yeah I'm pretty new to wheeling, and mostly we just do some trails with hills, not a crazy amount of rocks(not very large either), so I'm thinking I may end up being happy with TTB I am worried about being tippy. but everything is good so far, maybe I'll SAS one day, I'm hopefully getting duff buckets, f 250 towers, 5 1/2 coils and HD coil retainers used from someone, so I'll have some things for an SAS, but with this next year being my last year of college I've been busy and not really having a garage makes it a pain to run around to work on it. I do have two vehicles but we will see. hopefully I'll find time to make radius arms, Fabricate some shackles and eventually end up with 5 1/2 inches of lift, not certain if I will do this but its an idea.I hope I'm not getting to invested in TTB( I always worry this thing is a waste of money, that is why I always try to get deals. but I think It works for now and I hope it continues to work.)

anyone seen the 4WOR article about mitch's leaf sprung SAS 2nd gen, sometimes makes me think that would be a route for me. but I already have coil stuff comming.... hmmm:dunno:

If I were you and know what I know now about life in general, I wouldn't spend too much more money on the Explorer until you finish college. If it works for what you want to do with it, use it until you get out of school. Then decide.

If I were you and know what I know now about life in general, I wouldn't spend too much more money on the Explorer until you finish college. If it works for what you want to do with it, use it until you get out of school. Then decide.
That’s kinda what I’m learning. I’m still gonna pick up these few parts and leave it as is. Maybe gears but I think I’m overdoing compared to my buddies. It’s like people and gaming PCs I don’t know what I actually need just what I want

Bought some more stuff.... hahah got the stuff for my radius arms, barnes enduro joints and 2in 1/4 wall Dom. college semester ends in like 2 week!!!!(YAY) and got this really cool old 8274 with some jeep badge on it for 150$ no controller, but it still works guy had an 8274 on his ramcharger and plugged in his controller to show it works, came with a cool winch plate too!
5437sOw.jpg

In5qCCo.jpg

CQXvbDH.jpg

vU6l4Ey.jpg

P12SLQ5.jpg

Semesters over! Been intermittently working on a front bumper... I'm no fabricator so I'm sure it will continue to evolve, gonna make a rear one at some time probably with a tire carrier.

Oh, and I found these at a really good deal and couldn't say no :eek:

bumper got another facelift, this time with the addition of the 8274, I also made a controler, will post pics of that later.
gyicMR5.jpg

this is the wire i used to replace the cracked old wires of the 8274, it is "skyhigh car audio 1/0" previous explorer i was really into car audio before i got the 4x4 bug, so i had some extra wire i could put to use, just need to install my high output alternator and then i can forget about wiring for a little.
nHyHg4d.jpg

went wheeling this memorial day weekend, up to a lake, the trail had be washed out a bit and there was a lot of mud so it was interesting, if I remember I'll post more pics, but seeing as I was basically the photographer there was no action shots of the splody.
hVOVZyB.jpg

this picture doesn't do it justice but this rock is probably the most interesting part of the trail other than how tight it is. there is regular tree fall here so when going in you usually have to cut a few trees and push them off the trail, closer to the lake it gets super tight, like barely fit the comanche in some spots! but thankfully no major damage.
5StLNtR.jpg

Alright here is the gang,(from left to right) Green explorer (my old one, now owned by the guy who had the chevrolet from my snow wheeling pics), blue jeep(budy who pulled the ball joints out hasn't swapped in a new front axle so he borrowed his wifes), Me, and comanche( buddy in blue jeep on 35's, It's his 13 year old son's they built! he got to drive the trail this weekend and had a lot of fun, albeit his jeep overheated a bit oh and his dad let him borrow his tires..)
39Q1NXq.jpg

GS0qQvf.jpg

rDHNbeH.jpg

8F5lqHT.jpg

Looks like you all had fun. I need to get my build going but with work and graduation and what have (life) LOL can't get much done. I like your Bumper. Simple yet it works. Think I will have to get one very similar for my Ex.

I like the old school winch, but you have cut off most of your air flow to the radiator. I got a low profile winch so I could get it under the grille, but I don't think that monster will fit.

I like the old school winch, but you have cut off most of your air flow to the radiator. I got a low profile winch so I could get it under the grille, but I don't think that monster will fit.
surprisingly enough I've had no issues with cooling. stayed the coolest out of all the rigs in the group stock temp gauge never reached the "N" on "normal" and that includes the highway trek to the trail so until it gives me issues I'll keep it, plus can't really beat the vulnerable 8274 for 150$ spent 25$ making a controller(will do in cab soon). most my buddies suggested mounting it lower, but where it currently is at i barely lose any approach angle, like most things since i bought this explorer I'm sure it will change and evolve, when i was building the winch mount I was pretty annoyed with how awkward the winch is to mount but there is certainly an appeal to the 8274, on the way up to the lake, a couple of guys in an xj ended up behind us, and as they watched my old explorer catch air going through a particularly rocky section they asked me what the hell kind of winch I had. they were a lot different from my buddies more like me, their jeep had lower gears and a front locker and they just crawled their way through my friends like to bounce around in 2wd until they know they can't make it, that is probably why they break **** a lot.

started working on extended radius arms, each has about 2 degrees of caster, shortened barnes link mounts and added some angle to mount to fame, will get some more pictures tomorrow.
ZxnkPFX.jpg

uYue3qQ.jpg

its all gonna be blue :O ferd!
FPjgbe4.jpg

also my grandpa winch has sagged my front end a bit, not sure what to do yet, I don't think I have enough lift at the moment to switch to the FA600 pitman arm... maybe spacers?? or I could swap to taller springs, maybe get softer ones at the same time.

Get a set 1.5" coil spacers off a stock Bronco or F-150, can't remember the years that fit, but they are common. How much lift do you need?

Get a set 1.5" coil spacers off a stock Bronco or F-150, can't remember the years that fit, but they are common. How much lift do you need?
That is the issue I'm not quite sure how much I lost since the springs did not squat immediately maybe 1inch ish? I could get f150 spring seats, or the 1990s spring seats, or washers, or an actual spacer, I just don't wanna lift it too much because I'd like to still use the skyjacker monotubes I picked up for 4 inch lift. I just want flat steering :dunno:

Easy way to find out is to measure the height of something on the front of the Explorer, then remove the front bumper and winch, and measure again..

Easy way to find out is to measure the height of something on the front of the Explorer, then remove the front bumper and winch, and measure again..
Yeah! I was going to do that. But I removed my tupper wear and steps and it remedies my rubbing. Just curious about trimming the fenders for 35s one day. But I wanna stay at 4 inches of lift. I’m actually under the impression that the front was lifted more then 4 inches, as the rear is currently lower then the front by about 1/2” so I might have actually leveled it out with the winch. Debating some ruff stuff shackles though.

Back