2018 Explorer In Production Status | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2018 Explorer In Production Status

FordGuy76

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey folks - ordered my ‘18 XLT on April 2. On COTUS it said it went into production on May 23 but no updates since - how long does this stage typically take? It’s also giving me an expected delivery date of June 16 - is this still realistic?

Thanks everyone!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hard to say how long that 'production' stage may take. In production?
It will be easier to estimate delivery date once the Window Sticker is produced since it will have the build date on it. I'm guessing that the dealer should have the VIN available soon. June 16th seems like a reasonable delivery date. That all depends on when the vehicle is actually shipped out and how far it has to travel to get to its destination.

Peter

Thanks Peter. I’ve already got my VIN and have the window sticker. Where do I find the build date?

Thanks Peter. I’ve already got my VIN and have the window sticker. Where do I find the build date?
On my earlier 'stickers' it was at the bottom right. Looking at my 2017 Platinum and 2014 MKT 'stickers' it seems to be at the bottom just to the left of center in a space below the line that shows ITEM#;

Peter

Thank you. It shows 5/24, the day after the website said it went into production, which makes sense. If that’s the case though (I can’t imagine it takes more than a day to crank out the vehicle) I’d have thought it would have already moved into “Awaiting Shipment” status based on that build date

Fordguy, When I worked at ford (1964 to 1975) it took two eight hour shifts to come off final assembly line. This should give you a ball park time frame.

Thank you. It shows 5/24, the day after the website said it went into production, which makes sense. If that’s the case though (I can’t imagine it takes more than a day to crank out the vehicle) I’d have thought it would have already moved into “Awaiting Shipment” status based on that build date

So FYI I went to the dealer and they confirmed my actual build date got pushed to the week of May 28th (this week), so I guess the lesson is that when the website says it’s going into production on a certain day, it only gets updated once - if the factory pushes back the actual production start date, you likely won’t know about it

Fordguy, When I worked at ford (1964 to 1975) it took two eight hour shifts to come off final assembly line. This should give you a ball park time frame.
Thanks dkean - sounds about right! In those days, did the vehicles stay on the same line continuously for the two shifts or did they come off and back on the line depending on which options were ordered?

The only ones that I remember being built on a different line where the convertibles.
The assembly line was 11 miles long. Zig Zag.

Mine went “in production” May 18 with a delivery date of June 1. It’s now sitting in “waiting shipment” with no eta and ford customer service is unwilling to give me any more details. Sigh.

Mine went “in production” May 18 with a delivery date of June 1. It’s now sitting in “waiting shipment” with no eta and ford customer service is unwilling to give me any more details. Sigh.

That’s strange. Mine went into production June 3 with an original ETA of June 16. Then it got bumped to June 25 (bummer, I wanted it for the weekend) but it *has* gone into “In Transit” status at least so it should be on the way. Originally ordered it Apr 2...if they don’t change the ETA again on me I’ll be looking at almost 12.5 weeks from order to delivery

I hope they don't bump yours a second time. Mine was a dealer order placed in late Feb. I "bought" it 3 weeks ago but with no ETA in sight I'm heading out this weekend to shop other brands offerings. Mine is shipping to Canada.

I hope they don't bump yours a second time. Mine was a dealer order placed in late Feb. I "bought" it 3 weeks ago but with no ETA in sight I'm heading out this weekend to shop other brands offerings. Mine is shipping to Canada.
Your dealer should be able to provide you with the info you need. I ordered my 2011 through Dupuis Ford/Lincoln in Casselman and the salesman was able to provide all the details and also where it was when in transit. It went by railcar to just outside of Toronto where is was put on a transport for its trip to Casselman (Ottawa area).

Peter

My dealer is as frustrated as I am. They haven't been able to get an update from Ford since May 19.

Primary: In Production
Secondary: Origin Received - (Auto Warehousing )
Vehicle Location: Ramp 06, Chicago Asy, IL
Status Date / Time: May-19-2018, 08:06 CT
Start Date:
May-26-2018
End Date: Jun-01-2018
ETA Disposition: Pending Update

My dealer is as frustrated as I am. They haven't been able to get an update from Ford since May 19.

Primary: In Production
Secondary: Origin Received - (Auto Warehousing )
Vehicle Location: Ramp 06, Chicago Asy, IL
Status Date / Time: May-19-2018, 08:06 CT
Start Date:
May-26-2018
End Date: Jun-01-2018
ETA Disposition: Pending Update
I think that when it is in 'Waiting Shipment' status the next step depends upon the availability of rail cars required to ship out the vehicles. I don't know how much control Ford has over that. It could also be that available rail cars at the time were going to other parts of the country. My 2011 was ordered in December 2010 just before the Christmas shut down of the plant. I picked it up from the dealership on March 16th, 2011. Good luck.

Peter

Dealer found me a reasonable enough alternate on someone else’s lot and was able to transfer the rebates over so it looks like I’ll be in a new Explorer in a few days. I did go drive a Traverse before he sent me the news - what a boat that is! I’m shocked it is rated better than the Explorer by much of the automotive press.

Glad to hear they worked something out for you. I ordered mine with 2nd row buckets, no 2nd-row centre console and no 4x4, which apparently is a rare combo so I'm pretty sure I'll be waiting for the one I ordered.....hopefully this is the last revision and the June 25th date is reasonably accurate. Other than size, how did the Traverse compare to the Explorer? I would have given it a longer look but leather seats are a must for me and you have to go to the True North edition to get them, which pushes the starting price to 50K! (I'm from Canada as well).

Live in Canada and skipping 4x4? ;) I'm buying a Limited model which is quite close to the True North in spec & price but with the 4K discount on the Explorer last month Ford wins the price battle. Traverse was quite nice inside, more space behind the 3rd row, and quiter/smoother on road. I'd give the win here to the Traverse. As far subjective exterior styling I'd give the win to Ford since I personally do not like the Traverse's grill. Ford wins in driving dynamics as the Traverse was much more disconnected and numb.

I don't think I'd ever get a new vehicle without the AWD after having had it on my last 6 vehicles. It is a great feature to have all year.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the feedback, makes me feel better about my choice :) I'm sure I'd have come to the same conclusion as you - especially with regard to styling...it may be a 7-8 year old shape but I like 'em more on the boxier side. As for skipping 4x4 - purely financial decision. I'm trading in a 2017 Santa Fe XL Limited and the depreciation hit is steep; couldn't find a used Explorer close in spec to what I wanted so had to go new, and 4x4 is another $3000 hit. If $$ was less of a concern I'd have probably gone Limited with 4x4 as well

Back