My rear brakes look like they are wearing funny. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My rear brakes look like they are wearing funny.

I was filling the Explorer up with fuel and killing time while waiting for the pump to finish just checking the vehicle over and noticed the rear brake rotors looked like they were wearing weird. The front rotors are clean and shiny like the brake pad has fully contacted it, however, the rear brake rotors look like the brake pad is only contacting the lower portion of the rotor. This is on a 2016 XLT. I posted pictures of each rear brake rotor below. Anyone have the same thing happen to them? It's still under warranty so I might just call and have Ford look at it.

MkgkQ9r.jpg

DvtDXpT.jpg

As quoted from your title "My rear brakes look like they are wearing funny/weird."
Can't say I've ever seen brake dust cause rotor marks like that. Definitely check yourself and get more opinions.
UPDATE:

First dealership said: Rotors are good, brake pads are good, calipers are good and it's just brake dust from the metallic brakes. It can be cleaned at the car wash or a brillow pad. I guess I'll be jacking the vehicle up and taking a look myself to verify.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As quoted from your title "My rear brakes liook like they are wearing funny."
Can't say I've ever seen brake dust cause rotor marks like that. Definitely check yourself and get more opinions.

Already talked with another dealership. Sent the service agent these pics and he's going to call me when he looks at them.

I just replaced the pads and rotors on my 16 PIU. Both rear calipers were bad and needed to be replaced. My rotors looked similar and I could hear the brakes sticking.

My 2013 inner rear brake pad is just recently eating the rotar. 61000 miles. No warning screech like I hoping would hear. The outside looks like yours where the rust is. The inside is probably dragging. The caliper is a POS on these trucks. Annual maintenance clean & lube moving surfaces is necessary. Car companies have been designing brakes for many years and this is what we get. May as well put cheap rotors and pads on cause the calipers are gonna toast em again.

My 2013 inner rear brake pad is just recently eating the rotar. 61000 miles. No warning screech like I hoping would hear. The outside looks like yours where the rust is. The inside is probably dragging. The caliper is a POS on these trucks. Annual maintenance clean & lube moving surfaces is necessary. Car companies have been designing brakes for many years and this is what we get. May as well put cheap rotors and pads on cause the calipers are gonna toast em again.

I disagree. My rear pads lasted 70k miles. I didn't touch them until I replaced them. Seem to be working fine to me. I just compressed the piston back in and slapped on new pads and rotors. Obviously YMMV.

It seems like everything else on the newer Explorers. Quirky and inconsistent.

Double post.

Back