Explorer Audio upgrade(s) | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Well, after reading this whole thread, I'm still uncertain how to proceed. All I want is the most basic improvement over the factory system. I don't want to get crazy with adding an amp, or sub. I just want to get the best result I can out of a simple speaker upgrade, at the lowest cost possible. I have the XLT 9 Speaker "premium" audio, that sounds worse than what was in my 2013.

Hey Jon M considering you don't want to add a amp and the price point of the speakers you are at I doubt you will hear much of a difference in sound quality. When I first started my system up grade I used a amp on the factory speakers and they sounded good (for a factory speaker) they just needed more power.

If it was me I would consider spending your money on a amp for the front stock speakers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Jon M considering you don't want to add a amp and the price point of the speakers you are at I doubt you will hear much of a difference in sound quality. When I first started my system up grade I used a amp on the factory speakers and they sounded good (for a factory speaker) they just needed more power.

If it was me I would consider spending your money on a amp for the front stock speakers.
An amp won't be a bad first step, but the sub woofer I had put under driver's seat made a world of difference in my 17 XLT. Of course changing the 2 speakers in each front door helped tremendously.

I purchased my new 17 Ex XLT in May of 17. Prior to that had a 15 Ex Limited w/Sony system. The XLT came w/what I would describe as a lack of Premium Sound System. I decided after reviewing all the options mentioned here to upgrade this system.

Back in the day I would have tackled this myself but now I mostly use people for the difficult stuff. Tunes n Tint in Lakeland FL removed the existing crappy speakers & installed Rockford Fosgate P165-si's in the front doors, Kenwood in rear doors, & added a Pioneer TX120A subwoofer under the driver's seat resulting in a 100% difference in sound quality & adding in just enough bass to feel young again, LOL

Even Sirius sounds much better since they muddle the sound so much to begin with!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what did the cost end up being overall for everything you had done?

Just read an interesting article this morning that actual speakers may become a thing of the past. Manufacturers are looking at using existing interior features to take their place. A mention that the roof liner could be used as a sub woofer. Door panels and even cup holders could come into play.
Car speakers are about to disappear

Peter

I bet those are the same people that think the internet is just a fad and wont be here that much longer.

I bet those are the same people that think the internet is just a fad and wont be here that much longer.
Could be but as the article mentioned, some 2013 Mercedes Benz vehicles already employed some of the technology. As has Bentley.

Peter

Wasn't the cheapest thing but worth it to me and as an added bonus, the wife is enjoying the sound so much more now she has quit asking me to turn the sound down.

I see you have the Explo Sport. I do not know if the Sport comes with a subwoofer or not. My XLT did not so that is the route I took & used Tunes & Tint in Lakeland, Florida for the job.

Replacing the front door speakers w/Rockford Fosgate Punch Components brought the sound alive. I'm sure these can be purchased online if you were to do this yourself but the ran me $199.The lower front door speaker will need an adaptor because the replacement speakers are round for better sound quality & better 6 x 9's wouldn't fit.. The rears were replaced also but unless you have chauffeur, you probably don't need to mess with rear door speakers, although the factory rears are pure crap.My rears were replaced at Best Buy but they could not do the fronts.

If you have the subwoofer already I don't think you need to mess with another unless you are a pure audiophile.

All my work came to $900, which I consider a bargain compared to another 10 grand or so buying a limited w/a subwoofer already in the package!!!
An, if you read the article Peter found, just wait a few years or buy a Mercedes now, LOL
If you don't mind me asking, what did the cost end up being overall for everything you had done?

Well, after talking this over with a buddy who used to do car audio for a living, I have decided to do a speaker swap with Infinity speakers. The front doors will be component speakers, with crossovers and tweeters. The 2nd row will be 3 ways, and the 3rd row will be 2 way. I plan on just leaving the center dash alone, because I don't think it's going to be worthwhile.

Crutchfield includes the mounting adapters and wiring adapters for the front and 2nd row, but they don't list any speakers as fitting the 3rd row, so...can someone who's done the non-Sony, "9 speaker premium audio" system tell me what the connectors for the 3rd row look like? Are the same as the 2nd? I just need to know if I need the same wiring adapters, or if I'm going to have to cut.

Well, after talking this over with a buddy who used to do car audio for a living, I have decided to do a speaker swap with Infinity speakers. The front doors will be component speakers, with crossovers and tweeters. The 2nd row will be 3 ways, and the 3rd row will be 2 way. I plan on just leaving the center dash alone, because I don't think it's going to be worthwhile.

Crutchfield includes the mounting adapters and wiring adapters for the front and 2nd row, but they don't list any speakers as fitting the 3rd row, so...can someone who's done the non-Sony, "9 speaker premium audio" system tell me what the connectors for the 3rd row look like? Are the same as the 2nd? I just need to know if I need the same wiring adapters, or if I'm going to have to cut.

You really don't have to cut. Just strip the coating off of the wires just before the connector and wrap your new speaker wires around that. That is what the guys at Best Buys did the first time I had new speakers installed in a car. I hate to sound like an advertisement for Crutchfield but after spending over $1k with them on this last build I am not afraid to ask them questions. They have pro installers on staff, ask them!

So, I replaced my front door speakers, and my third row speakers (2nd row speakers were wrong, new ones coming next week).

Usually, the Nav will reduce the volume of the radio, but I can still hear it, when it's either giving directions or the tone for a turn. Now, it mutes it completely, which I find very strange.

My front door OEM speakers were replaced with a component woofer/tweeter, using a crossover, so the OEM tweeter connector is not used.

I can definitely tell a difference, and I noticed it just from the front row. I'm looking forward to getting the back doors done. Then it's just a question of whether or not it's worth doing the center dash speaker.

I was surprised that Crutchfield's instructions for the third row are not just wrong, but way off. They list those speakers as being in the C pillars, instead of under the cup holder trays.

......................I was surprised that Crutchfield's instructions for the third row are not just wrong, but way off. They list those speakers as being in the C pillars, instead of under the cup holder trays.
Hi Jon. I've seen pictures posted in this forum that show speakers for the 3rd row installed in the pillars. Not sure if they replaced ones there or were installed there as a new location. See link in the following thread; Third row seat speakers

Peter

I've seen pictures posted in this forum that show speakers for the 3rd row in the pillars.

Peter

I think that must be the Sony system, with 12 speakers. Those C pillar speakers, plus the sub would be the extra 3. They don't show the ones by the 3rd row seats at all.

Here's what the 3rd row connectors look like.....
pmJ8r04wj
pmwSfrOjj

I actually just did my sound system upgrade yesterday. Rockford 6x9's in the front; 6.5's in the pass; 10" Rockford Sub. I disconnected the 3rd row speakers to tap signal for the 2 channel kenwood amp that's powering the sub. I opted to use the signal sense on the amp cause I was curious as to how it would function and I was pleasantly suprised. No signal pop. Disconnecting the 3rd row also upped the volume level on the remaining speakers. I assume that's due to the smaller ohm load.
potoC0Woj

Hey Jon, I have the same stock setup as yours on my 15 XLT and looking for upgrading the stock speakers as they are sounding very flat even when compared to my 11 Fusion. whats the model of the Infinity speakers you have got? Are these the one? I am just looking to little bit more bass to the existing system as somehow my 11 Fusion with stock speakers could vibrate the rear view mirror but the Explorer can't even reach that level.

I am just looking to little bit more bass to the existing system as somehow my 11 Fusion with stock speakers could vibrate the rear view mirror but the Explorer can't even reach that level.
I think you're going to be disappointed if you swap out the factory speakers without adding a 4ch amp to power the aftermarket speakers. With or without the amp the clarity of your system will definitely improve. However the factory head unit lacks the power to really drive any sort of aftermarket set up.

So basically, if you swap out the factory speakers for aftermarket speakers you will actually lose what little bass you have but gain clarity.

Hey Jon, I have the same stock setup as yours on my 15 XLT and looking for upgrading the stock speakers as they are sounding very flat even when compared to my 11 Fusion. whats the model of the Infinity speakers you have got? Are these the one? I am just looking to little bit more bass to the existing system as somehow my 11 Fusion with stock speakers could vibrate the rear view mirror but the Explorer can't even reach that level.

I got those for the front doors, and the 6512is for the rear doors.

I think you're going to be disappointed if you swap out the factory speakers without adding a 4ch amp to power the aftermarket speakers. With or without the amp the clarity of your system will definitely improve. However the factory head unit lacks the power to really drive any sort of aftermarket set up.

So basically, if you swap out the factory speakers for aftermarket speakers you will actually lose what little bass you have but gain clarity.

There is a definite improvement in clarity, and I've noticed no loss of bass. That said, I dropped it at the dealer a couple of days after the install, and it's been there for 10 days, so I haven't spent that much time in it with the new speakers.

I can spend couple of hundred dollars without wife getting mad :laugh:. Do you think I can get an amp installed within 200 and gain more sound quality? I also bought extended premium care warranty and doesn't want to loose it if there's going to be too much touching of electronics to add an amp.

I can spend couple of hundred dollars without wife getting mad :laugh:. Do you think I can get an amp installed within 200 and gain more sound quality? I also bought extended premium care warranty and doesn't want to loose it if there's going to be too much touching of electronics to add an amp.
You should be able to. You could get one of those 4ch power packs for around 100+. Install should be around 100 for parts + labor.

You should be able to. You could get one of those 4ch power packs for around 100+. Install should be around 100 for parts + labor.

I've taken my Explorer to a few audio shops and I'm not sure what it is but I've been quoted things from 1000+ worth of work (replace all speakers + install amp + install some sort of other converter) to another audio shop that said my option was to replace the entire head unit!

Anyone know of a reputable shop that they've worked with in the Phoenix area?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've taken my Explorer to a few audio shops and I'm not sure what it is but I've been quoted things from 1000+ worth of work (replace all speakers + install amp + install some sort of other converter) to another audio shop that said my option was to replace the entire head unit!

Anyone know of a reputable shop that they've worked with in the Phoenix area?

Soundwerks Audio

I've only dealt with their Scottsdale store (Scottsdale Road just north of McDowell).

They did excellent work on my '13 Explorer Sport.

Back