'99 Explorer LS Swap Finished - Was has anyone done it? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'99 Explorer LS Swap Finished - Was has anyone done it?

Go go gadget flame suit :D

Has anyone ever done a Chevrolet LS series motor swap in their 2nd gen explorer, or any gen explorer for that matter? I know it is a popular swap for fox body cars.

Links or pics would be appreciated. The google didn't yield much. I saw a thread with an 01 sport, but the project didn't appear to get anywhere. Thanks!

(Edit) - This turns into a build thread... Keep reading.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Was it a rear or front sump engine?

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Rear. The engine/trans came out of one of those Isuzu NPR delivery trucks apparently. I was told that It is basically the same as an 06 silverado 2500hd.

For the wiring did you make your own harness or get a custom one? And do you have any pics of the motor mounts? plan on putting a NA 5.3 in my 03 sport trac soon, trying to get a plan together first.

99sportx by any chance did you finish the project? im trying to swap my 99 mountaineer with a 6.0 ls too

did you had clearance issues? what motor mounts did you use? how much power are you pushing with 6.0
i have a 6.0 ls with the 4l80e trans that im planing to put in. what exhaust headers did you use? just trying to get as much info before i start mine

Sorry, guys. I haven't been real great about supplying info on this project. It is a large project but really wasn't that terrible. What made it terrible was me pulling the 5.0 out and having it on the track with the 6.0 in ~3 weeks. haha I did complete a good chunk of the fabrication and figuring about a month before that by using a 99 limited parts car I have but it was still a lot of work once the 5.0 came out.

If you are willing to ditch AC, you have the room to fit an LS. If I had the time, I would have had a custom radiator made. The rad needs to be pushed as far forward as possible. I ended up buying an aluminum radiator and modifying the fill neck, port sizes, added mounts, and a drain ****. I am no expert tig welder and it therefore leaked but JB weld is your friend. LOL I plan to redo this at some point. I ended up going to a 160 deg thermostat.

Mounts were pretty easy. I attached pics. Trans crossmember is just a hack and mod of the factory unit. For the accessories, I used a kit from SSD Billet. The factory 5.0 power steering hoses worked perfect for me, I just had to trim the return line a little. Depending on where you mount the engine, the lines may or may not work. I had a terrible power steering whine and I couldn't figure the cause. This spring I determined that the reman pump I bought was defective from day 1. The camaro pump plays nice with the ford rack.

I did a turbo, so the hot side was all a custom job. Drivers side started from a "up and forward" ebay turbo header with one of the primaries rerouted to go around the steering shaft. Drivers manifold is a vette C5 header with the flange cut and flipped to have the exhaust shoot straight up and route over to the turbo. If I were to do it all again with improved welding skills, I would try harder to figure out a log setup. I just wanted to start from the most complete parts and work from there because of time and my limited welding skill. I would venture to say that headers for a NA setup will be far more of a challenge.

Turbo is VS Racing 7875 Billet and I am running their wastegate and BOV as well. Intercooler is just an ebay special, sized to squeeze between the rails.

Stock Gen IV 6.0 with only a jegs cam, PAC 1218 springs, and opened up gap on the piston rings.

Fuel system is a walbro 450, AN lines up to a regulator in the engine bay. I have a flex fuel sensor plumbed into the return line, but it isn't wired yet. 210lb bosch injectors, not needed at the moment but looking to go big down the road on E85 with a second fuel pump. LOL

Torque converter made by jakes performance to their recommended specs based on my setup. 4L80E with transgo HD2 shift kit, custom driveshaft with 1350 size joints. 3.73LS 8.8 rear, standard issue.

Engine management is a MS3 goldbox from EFI Source including a complete plug and play wiring harness. I am still working on making my factory cluster work, just haven't had time to mess with it.

I'm slowly working on tuning it and getting more power out of the setup. It is fun to mess around with, that's for sure. Maybe one day I will hit a dyno to see what it makes. My only real goal right now is to get it to around 550 rwhp

I am a ford fan, but for me learning turbos and tuning, I wanted a setup that had minimal money into the motor itself. There is no thousands of dollars in fancy machine work and internals to get flushed down the drain if something unfortunate happens. Its a stock motor out of salvage with some minor mods. The rest of the money went to auxiliary components that aren't likely to get damaged from engine failure. A stock 302 just wouldn't take this same abuse from a turbo and a n00b like me, though I would like to try someday.

4.JPG

5.JPG

24.JPG

25.JPG

12.JPG

It's a shame how nicely that fits in there width wise. I just can't do the ford to chevy swap. Very nice job in a short amount of time. All builds have bugs to work out and I'm sure you'll get over the 500hp mark.

I'm in the middle of swapping a 5.4 in a Ranger and it's a wide monster that really can't compete with an LS in Stock form. My goal is 400 with a procharger but I'll be glad to just drive it at this point. It's not much deeper than a 4.0 sohc but it's a foot wider. I've got probably 10 hours into just getting it to steer.

Thanks. I hear you on the ford vs. chevy thing. It was hard to come to that decision. It makes me a little sad but then I floor it and the sadness goes away. :D

That sounds like a cool build but very challenging. I know many have talked about doing a 4.6 over the years but I don't believe I have seen a successful mod engine installed in anything 2nd gen explorer or ranger based. I don't get out much, though so maybe by now someone has done it? I think a coyote swap would be cool.

The modular Ford engines are all too big, Ford made the blocks too tall, and the heads too wide. Chevy did what Ford could have, revamped the OHV heads and intake, and then integrated variable valve timing. That made the OHV engines viable for another couple of decades, Ford gave up on the OHV's.

The 302 is a great platform, but the needed upgrade aftermarket parts put them in a similar price territory as building a hot modular Ford.

The fuel and brake lines are the biggest hurdle to a decent exhaust in these 2nd gen trucks. Those I hope can be rerouted inside the frame a little farther, and come up through the top of the frame.

There has been a few 4.6 2v, 3v and 4v swaps but only ford svt completed a 1 off ranger with the 5.4 2v lightning engine. I have yet to find a successful running and driving 5.4 swap in a street truck (Truck without a 3" body). Now I am talking about a 2wd coil sprung ranger chassis, the explorer / ranger torsion bar frame is about 4" skinnier and doesn't have the room to go modular.

The only easy part of my swap is the braking/steering pump. A mustang hydroboost setup bolts in and stock lines go right into to the rack.

There has been a few 4.6 2v, 3v and 4v swaps but only ford svt completed a 1 off ranger with the 5.4 2v lightning engine. I have yet to find a successful running and driving 5.4 swap in a street truck (Truck without a 3" body). Now I am talking about a 2wd coil sprung ranger chassis, the explorer / ranger torsion bar frame is about 4" skinnier and doesn't have the room to go modular.

The only easy part of my swap is the braking/steering pump. A mustang hydroboost setup bolts in and stock lines go right into to the rack.

Hmm, so cut(swap) the frame front half from a coil spring Ranger, and voila. I jest of course, but it is interesting how they differ.

The fuel and brake lines are the biggest hurdle to a decent exhaust in these 2nd gen trucks. Those I hope can be rerouted inside the frame a little farther, and come up through the top of the frame.
Just bring them into the cab right off the bat, like Subaru does, and every other manufacturer should do.

Just bring them into the cab right off the bat, like Subaru does, and every other manufacturer should do.

I'm not sure about in this swap but in my own I like pulling the cab for easy access. Running fuel and brake lines in there would take the ease out of pulling the cab. In my 5.4 ranger swap I bet I've pulled the cab off by 20x now, granted I haven't put the cab bolts back in yet since the first time I pulled them. If I didn't have a lift I wouldn't of even of tried the swap.

Yeah, I never consider yanking the cab since I don’t have the headroom.

It's a nice thought, but the flex of the body won't let us do that well. The Subaru with no frame has a rigid monocoque chassis, the lines can be mounted firmly. We'd have to use flexible lines through the body, and also protect them inside. I like the frame routing, other than that short area where they pass by the exhaust.

In my 99, I ran my external air compressor power wire through an existing hole in the frame below the MC. That's where I have in mind to cut the hole bigger, and run the metal lines. It's a relatively safe area, I might add a metal wall to the outside of the hole(wreck protection). There have been OEM issues with fuel lines, damage in wrecks due to routing choices. It's an important consideration to building a vehicle.

On the Subaru they route into the cab on flexible hose, and exit the same. Practically ensures you never have an issue with them for the life of the car.

Hey 99SportX is there anyway to contact you in private like an email or something. I have some quetions to ask for you. Please

Bump anymore updates ?

Nothing really new to update. It’s cold and snowy right now so all the car projects are hibernating. I will be doing dyno tuning in the spring to get it running better. It runs pretty poorly right now. I am also battling some cooling system issues but that could partially be related to the tune. I have some cleanup work to do on wiring and hose routing from things that I rushed the first time I slapped it together.

I love this build. if you ever have time to work on the truck and update us please do so.

Back