Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confirmed: Some Exhaust in Cabin when Acceleration issue is From the Front

I am sure that members appreciate the work you have done and are still doing. What you have proven is that there is an air leak from the engine compartment into the cabin. You have, however, not proven the exhaust is originating from a leak in the engine compartment. You yourself said you are still working on that. So at this point the actual source is 'unknown'.
Also, when you post in a public/open forum, you are leaving yourself open to comments from any forum members, whether or not they agree with you or your findings. That is the way it works. You really can not just restrict posts/opinions to those that agree with you.
I, for one, am a skeptic about the leak being in the engine and therefore would be very interested in what you find out in your continued work to find the actual source of the exhaust. Good luck.

Peter

Thank you for your kind reply Peter.

Since i sealed the front hood rubber and i'm not facing smell exhaust in cabin issue anymore, i didn't focus on finding where the exact leak, i thought that's enough, but if members here insist to find it, then i will give it a try and i have an idea how to find it i just need time.

what also makes me want to find it, i found a drain water hole in the middle of the fresh air intake that you can't see it only by putting a mirror to reflect the location, that hole exactly in the center. that hole also may cause the fresh air intake to suck some emissions form the engine bay.
but i can't cover it because this is a rain drain hole, you will be able to see it when you wash your car or after a heavy rain.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has this been confirmed with a CO detector? Is it exhaust smell or smell from the coolant overflow bottle etc? Either way its good that the smell is gone but just curious if its confirmed what it actually is

Has this been confirmed with a CO detector? Is it exhaust smell or smell from the coolant overflow bottle etc? Either way its good that the smell is gone but just curious if its confirmed what it actually is

Yes by using this brand and it's showing 0 while acceleration, and the smell is the exhaust inside cabin while acceleration.

s-l1600.jpg

What was the reading in the cabin before the fix? What’s the CO detector say in the engine compartment?

Keeping an eye on this since I've had the TSB done without much improvement. Just received the recall letter but guessing it's the same repair I've had done without much improvement. Still shutting off re-circulatory and opening windows after a hard throttle, doesn't even need to be WOT.

What was the reading in the cabin before the fix? What’s the CO detector say in the engine compartment?

not much actually . 2 ppm

and i didn't test the CO in the engine bay.

but it think it's not accurate detector, when i had the reading was 2 ppm the smell was terrible.

i have seen videos an explorer detecting about 14 ppm in the cabin.

Keeping an eye on this since I've had the TSB done without much improvement. Just received the recall letter but guessing it's the same repair I've had done without much improvement. Still shutting off re-circulatory and opening windows after a hard throttle, doesn't even need to be WOT.

cover your fresh air intake with duct tape just for test, then give it a try. can you do it ?

I have brand new 2017 XLT with 3.5. Less than 1000 miles. I definitely notice the smell. But notice it more OUTSIDE vehicle! I remote start it and then when walking out to it I notice smell as approach from front walking to driver door. Also noticed it when stopped at redlight. I had read this so instead of taping, I just put HVAC on recirculation. Haven't noticed smell when on recirculation. The smell doesn't smell like typical exhaust to me. Smells more like something burning-like when you burn hair.

I find that new vehicles tend to have a burnt smell before they're burned-in. Not necessarily an indication that you have this problem. Then again, mine has 3900 miles on it and has this exhaust-in-cabin problem, and I would say that the smell isn't exactly what I traditionally think of as engine exhaust, so perhaps you're right.

Also, have you pulled the manifolds yet?

Is it exhaust smell or smell from the coolant overflow bottle etc?

Is this one of the causes of the smell? The smell I'm getting doesn't smell exactly like what I traditionally think of as exhaust.

I still need to do the recall but I haven't noticed any smells in my 17 2.3L.

Also, have you pulled the manifolds yet?
No , had an accident with my Explorer that cost me about 6000$ also time for fixing it

Sorry it’s been a while but it’s not with my hand

Anyway I went to a exhaust work shop to check the manifolds and the guy there said there is no leaks , but that checking without dropping them.

But I’m still considering dropping them for checking.

It's amusing to read about searching for the source of an exaust smell, and using a CO detector because of the conviction it's a CO leak from the manifolds. Heh heh.

You can't smell CO peeps.

It's also interesting to see how cyclical this stuff is stumbling on it later. It makes the news, people get all over it online, much hand wringing and chasing about ensues, and 6 months later it's all gone quiet.

Like a tiny example of the non-existent Toyota throttle applying for no reason hysteria. Except in the case it's not all of the sudden everyone noticing a lot of old people die by smashing the wrong pedal... Nobody is dying.

Fascinating stuff, sociologically speaking:
The Windshield-Pitting Mystery Of 1954

It's amusing to read about searching for the source of an exaust smell, and using a CO detector because of the conviction it's a CO leak from the manifolds. Heh heh.

You can't smell CO peeps.

It's also interesting to see how cyclical this stuff is stumbling on it later. It makes the news, people get all over it online, much hand wringing and chasing about ensues, and 6 months later it's all gone quiet.

Like a tiny example of the non-existent Toyota throttle applying for no reason hysteria. Except in the case it's not all of the sudden everyone noticing a lot of old people die by smashing the wrong pedal... Nobody is dying.

Fascinating stuff, sociologically speaking:
The Windshield-Pitting Mystery Of 1954
You can smell a ton of other stuff in the exhaust....... you are aware that it’s not ONLY CO coming out of the motor, right? Using a CO meter to find the source is entirely valid. This is a real issue, regardless of your belief in it.

Oh, for the 2,700 or so people that filed complaints to the NHTSA out of 1,500,000 or so Explorers sold in this deacade, I am sure they felt it was an issue.

Especially last year when it was in the news. It's interesting that this year it's apparently not an issue anymore though, despite the fact that there was never a recall. It would seem that the problem resolved itself and just... went away.
Again... fascinating.

RE: the meter.... The folks on here that used it reported they had the smell and no CO detected.
Well, to be fair... when the smell this thread is discussing was the worst, they got 2 ppm. OSHA specifies no more than 50 ppm. Three plus hours exposure at 400 ppm can be fatal.
Just saying using the wrong tool to chase a smell, and the results the tool were providing soundly confirmed that.

Just interesting to see these occaisional panic cycles bubble up and then evaporate in the business, since I've been in it for 2 decades now.

Oh, for the 2,700 or so people that filed complaints to the NHTSA out of 1,500,000 or so Explorers sold in this deacade, I am sure they felt it was an issue.

Especially last year when it was in the news. It's interesting that this year it's apparently not an issue anymore though, despite the fact that there was never a recall. It would seem that the problem resolved itself and just... went away.
Again... fascinating.

RE: the meter.... The folks on here that used it reported they had the smell and no CO detected.
Well, to be fair... when the smell this thread is discussing was the worst, they got 2 ppm. OSHA specifies no more than 50 ppm. Three plus hours exposure at 400 ppm can be fatal.
Just saying using the wrong tool to chase a smell, and the results the tool were providing soundly confirmed that.

Just interesting to see these occaisional panic cycles bubble up and then evaporate in the business, since I've been in it for 2 decades now.

That's the wonderful media these days.. Grasp on to anything they can twist or blow out of proportion.. once that runs its course, grab onto the next one. Cant stand the media and cant stand social media any more.

If anyone is still looking for info on exhaust smell in cabin, I have a 2018 3.5L Limited Explorer that developed the smell in the cabin on hard acceleration after the dealer did some engine repairs. I found the oil level was too high, when I lowered the oil level to normal, the smell went away. FYI (maybe its already been discussed).

OIL3539.jpg

B20E27E2-754F-4480-A855-B13CB77D2830.jpeg
If anyone is still looking for info on exhaust smell in cabin, I have a 2018 3.5L Limited Explorer that developed the smell in the cabin on hard acceleration after the dealer did some engine repairs. I found the oil level was too high, when I lowered the oil level to normal, the smell went away. FYI (maybe its already been discussed).

View attachment 172824

I have the same issue on my Ford Explorer limited 2018. I just checked my oil level after Ford Worthington in CA did my oil change, and found out it was 1 cm more than the maximum level marker ‍♂️
I called the dealership and they said they will get back to me.
I hope after getting an oil change and proper oil level will remove my exhaust fume in the cabin problem during high acceleration.

I’ll post an update after oil change and test drive.

Welcome to the Forum Ryan.:wave:
I hope that cures the issue.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

View attachment 173548

I have the same issue on my Ford Explorer limited 2018. I just checked my oil level after Ford Worthington in CA did my oil change, and found out it was 1 cm more than the maximum level marker ‍♂️
I called the dealership and they said they will get back to me.
I hope after getting an oil change and proper oil level will remove my exhaust fume in the cabin problem during high acceleration.

I’ll post an update after oil change and test drive.
Are you sure? That would be about a quart over if 1cm above the max. Personally, I wouldn't drive it until that was resolved.

Back