Thoughts On "FORD PROTECT" Extended Service Plan? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thoughts On "FORD PROTECT" Extended Service Plan?

Atomikk

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Hello everyone..
Buying a 2015 Explorer Limited next week. It has about 45000 miles. I keep cars for a long time, and I'm considering buying Ford's "Protect Extended Service Plan". I'd love to get some feedback from anyone who has done this. Pros, Cons, etc.... And if you did get the plan, which version did you buy? "Base", "Extra", or "Premium" and why? Suggestions/tips from anyone would be appreciated!

Excited to be a Ford Explorer owner next week!!!
Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that a specific ESP for pre owned Ford vehicles? Usually they are referred to as Certified Pre Owned (CPO) warranties. The regular Ford ESP's such as PremiumCARE are for new vehicles.

Peter

Hello everyone..
Buying a 2015 Explorer Limited next week. It has about 45000 miles. I keep cars for a long time, and I'm considering buying Ford's "Protect Extended Service Plan". I'd love to get some feedback from anyone who has done this. Pros, Cons, etc.... And if you did get the plan, which version did you buy? "Base", "Extra", or "Premium" and why? Suggestions/tips from anyone would be appreciated!

Excited to be a Ford Explorer owner next week!!!
Thanks.

IMHO

Its very simple, if you keep your vehicle for only 3 years while under bumper to bumper then dont do it.

If you keep it longer then get it, nowadays a single electronics issue can cost almost as much as the entire extra warranty fee.

Think about how many modules are in a new vehicle now.

Its very cheap insurance if your keeping the vehicle.

For the money I would only choose Premium Plan, coverage is worth the extra cost.

He has 45k miles so no bumper to bumper any more. I wasn't aware that a CPO had different types of warranties.

Peter

Wasn't there a particular dealer that was selling the extended warranty at a discount in the lower 48?

IMHO

Its very simple, if you keep your vehicle for only 3 years while under bumper to bumper then dont do it.

If you keep it longer then get it, nowadays a single electronics issue can cost almost as much as the entire extra warranty fee.

Think about how many modules are in a new vehicle now.

Its very cheap insurance if your keeping the vehicle.

For the money I would only choose Premium Plan, coverage is worth the extra cost.

Except us folks in the Great White North have to pay upwards of $5000 for the premiun care plan.

Except us folks in the Great White North have to pay upwards of $5000 for the premiun care plan.
We do seem to get shortchanged on the prices. I believe in part it is because of higher prices for parts and labour compared to the U.S. market. Since I don't intend on keeping mine longer than the 48 month lease, I just took the ESP to cover that for $1500 from my dealer. Also this thread is not on the normal ESP. I don't know what that ESP is that the OP refers to. Never replied to my previous post on it.

Peter

At 45k, you will need to buy Used ESP from Ford which also requires a 1 page inspection and needs to pass that inspection. Once passed, it will have a 30 day period before it becomes effective.

The plans are $200- $400 more on average then if it was under the bumper to bumper as it would then be a new vehicle esp.

I still highly recommend them since there are a ton of electronics. Do your research on what they Do NOT cover (pads, rotors, seals, gaskets, paint, water leaks etc) so there are no surprises

We do seem to get shortchanged on the prices. I believe in part it is because of higher prices for parts and labour compared to the U.S. market. Since I don't intend on keeping mine longer than the 48 month lease, I just took the ESP to cover that for $1500 from my dealer. Also this thread is not on the normal ESP. I don't know what that ESP is that the OP refers to. Never replied to my previous post on it.

Peter

Closer to the end of your 48 month term, I'm following you to the dealership and going to buy your Platinum.LOL

I never ever buy warranties mostly because I'm cheap but also because the short time I worked at Best Buy I realized that is where their profit is and employees are forced to do everything possible to sell them. That being said my extended warranty on my old 02 was the best money ever spent. It rolled off the lot with 30,000 miles and back in less than a month later for a new trans some exhaust work and worn suspension components. I was dropped off at a car rental place and had a brand new car to drive for the week. I would have had to cut my losses and return it back to dealership or have it repoed if it wasn't or warranty. Dealers are crooks especially when it comes to used vehicles. They buy them at auction with problems and have their porter boy wash them down to look pretty.

Closer to the end of your 48 month term, I'm following you to the dealership and going to buy your Platinum.LOL
I expect that the dealer will likely be calling after the end of the 3rd year like they did with the 2011 I had.:D

It will have a whole 3000kms on it and likely have the factory plastic seat covers still on!

Thanks Pete will contact Joel.

Joel can't sell you a used vehicle esp because it needs to be inspected at the selling dealer.

So if I bought my 2013 XLT from a used car dealer (not a Ford Dealer) then I can't get the used ESP plan?

You can get the ESP but you have to buy it from a dealer that can inspect the car in person. You can't do an online/phone sale.

So if I bought my 2013 XLT from a used car dealer (not a Ford Dealer) then I can't get the used ESP plan?

Needs to be inspected at a Ford dealer, report filled out and submitted, then if everything passes, 30 day grace period before it kicks in. Coverage is in 12mo/12k in regents and not all plans are available (based on current mileage).

Needs to be inspected at a Ford dealer, report filled out and submitted, then if everything passes, 30 day grace period before it kicks in. Coverage is in 12mo/12k in regents and not all plans are available (based on current mileage).

When I bought mine from him on the '13, with 57k on it, I didn't have to have it inspected. I don't know if that's because I had an aftermarket extended warranty on it or not, or if it was a mileage thing. There was no mention of a 30 day grace period either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I bought mine from him on the '13, with 57k on it, I didn't have to have it inspected. I don't know if that's because I had an aftermarket extended warranty on it or not, or if it was a mileage thing. There was no mention of a 30 day grace period either.

You bought the used ESP from the same dealer you bought the car from?

Back