Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

Specifics would be helpful so everyone is clear. Did you pick up an oe piu center console? An aftermarket center console? A le specific center console? A retail explorer center console?

I haven't seen any oe piu center consoles on eBay in a while, unless they were listed incorrectly/wrong category/misspelled title/etc...

I was assuming we were talking about the OEM non-PIU center consoles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was assuming we were talking about the OEM non-PIU center consoles.
Since the thread was started in the PIU sub forum, it is likely that the OP is looking for a PIU console, not the OEM retail console.

Peter

I am looking for either. I don’t care if it is the OEM retail console.

car-part.com
pick it up in person to get the two brackets that are required to fit it. there is a third bracket in the dash as well that needs to be switched, but the console was fitted tight without it.

Does Anyone have the stl file for the console. If any can help please let me know, Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum Tim.:wave:

Peter

Me three, just bought an XLT console and would very much like/need to get my hands on a pocket filler

Tailgate holes. As you can see, odd location unless it was some sort of strobe for when hatch was open.
That's correct, typically you'll see Whelen IONs mounted there. We have them installed on a rocker switch on the FPIU at my volunteer EMS, we can turn them on if we want greater visibility when the open hatch obscures the lightbar. Some departments have them come on automatically as soon as it opens, for instance we have a CVPI which does that as soon as you pop the trunk.

That is the OEM console offered as a factory installed option on the PI. Its basically a retail console with a different face plate that does not have the shiftier hole.
Hey.. I'm looking for an exact console like the one you're talking about.. for my 2014 Explorer PIU

For those wanting more info on OEM PIU center consoles and install.
These are the two current OEM PIU center consoles. (top 2016-18, bottom 2013-15)
VryVWmv.png

7UqlldA.png

These are the trim pieces you will need to complete the install.
XAaGavZ.png

This is the mounting area without the metal mounting plate. Front and rear mounts for center console should be on floor as they are used to secure the metal plate (if you have it). Front mount is bolted to floor - rear is part of floor. Center mount should be purchased and added. You can see the longer wire for the 12V powerpoint - I extended an existing one and wrapped it in electrical tape.
u2oOvdq.png

The center mount is a tight fit near RCM. I did not want to remove RCM or mess with the wiring, so I cut the center mount in half and installed it as 2 pieces. You can just see the cut I made.
l0vNDw1.png

Once you have everything ready, the center console just drops into place - line it up, plug in your wires (mine had aux, USB and 2 powerpoints), then put the bolts in and tighten. I sourced auto style trim bolts from a local Ace hardware. You can leave the seats in - just slide them forward or back to access each bolt - there are 8 bolts if you add the center floor mount - 6 for the floor and 2 into the dash area.
BT3mqdk.png

Attach the side trim panels and you're done - they are a little tight if you leave the seats in, but it can be done.
UJssQZK.png

Total install time should be 30-60 minutes.

ETA: I didn't cover removing the small panels at the bottom of the dash that the PIU normally comes with as I had previously removed those when I installed the 2013-15 center console when I purchased my 17 PIU. I recently picked up a matching 2016-18 console, so I took these pics when I removed that console to replace it with the new one.

Update on my 2015 PIU with pictures. So a couple of these are not console related, but I posted earlier about some of the holes I needed to fill after my PIU was taken out of commission.
+ First picture shows a normal console converted to work with PIU.
+ 2nd photo shows where the rear seat heater controls have been converted to extra power ports and task lights.
+ 3rd photo shows how I filled the large hole in the overhead and added a pair of reading lights and a Homelink garage door opener.
+ 4th photo just shows how I converted the empty "Ready for the Road" rear lights into functioning turn/brake lights.

PIU Console.jpg

PIU Power Ports.jpg

PIU Overhead HomeLink.jpg

PIU lights.jpg

For those wanting more info on OEM PIU center consoles and install.
These are the two current OEM PIU center consoles. (top 2016-18, bottom 2013-15)
VryVWmv.png

7UqlldA.png

These are the trim pieces you will need to complete the install.
XAaGavZ.png

This is the mounting area without the metal mounting plate. Front and rear mounts for center console should be on floor as they are used to secure the metal plate (if you have it). Front mount is bolted to floor - rear is part of floor. Center mount should be purchased and added. You can see the longer wire for the 12V powerpoint - I extended an existing one and wrapped it in electrical tape.
u2oOvdq.png

The center mount is a tight fit near RCM. I did not want to remove RCM or mess with the wiring, so I cut the center mount in half and installed it as 2 pieces. You can just see the cut I made.
l0vNDw1.png

Once you have everything ready, the center console just drops into place - line it up, plug in your wires (mine had aux, USB and 2 powerpoints), then put the bolts in and tighten. I sourced auto style trim bolts from a local Ace hardware. You can leave the seats in - just slide them forward or back to access each bolt - there are 8 bolts if you add the center floor mount - 6 for the floor and 2 into the dash area.
BT3mqdk.png

Attach the side trim panels and you're done - they are a little tight if you leave the seats in, but it can be done.
UJssQZK.png

Total install time should be 30-60 minutes.

ETA: I didn't cover removing the small panels at the bottom of the dash that the PIU normally comes with as I had previously removed those when I installed the 2013-15 center console when I purchased my 17 PIU. I recently picked up a matching 2016-18 console, so I took these pics when I removed that console to replace it with the new one.

Hi There,
where did you buy this consoles? I am looking one for my 2013 PIU

Update on my 2015 PIU with pictures. So a couple of these are not console related, but I posted earlier about some of the holes I needed to fill after my PIU was taken out of commission.
+ First picture shows a normal console converted to work with PIU.
+ 2nd photo shows where the rear seat heater controls have been converted to extra power ports and task lights.
+ 3rd photo shows how I filled the large hole in the overhead and added a pair of reading lights and a Homelink garage door opener.
+ 4th photo just shows how I converted the empty "Ready for the Road" rear lights into functioning turn/brake lights.

View attachment 160239

View attachment 160240

View attachment 160241

View attachment 160242

Looks nice I put a home link in my piu also I mounted mine under the headlight switch on that pabel.. looks factory there. And I like the power for the rear heated seats. Very clever spot to put them . I need to figure a spot where I can mount mine. I wired my rear HVAC control up to work for the kids in the back but the leather is way too cold in the winter Back there

Looks nice I put a home link in my piu also I mounted mine under the headlight switch on that pabel.. looks factory there. And I like the power for the rear heated seats. Very clever spot to put them . I need to figure a spot where I can mount mine. I wired my rear HVAC control up to work for the kids in the back but the leather is way too cold in the winter Back there
Are all PIU set up for rear HVAC? I've got 2 vents in the headliner but nothing ever comes out of them...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are all PIU set up for rear HVAC? I've got 2 vents in the headliner but nothing ever comes out of them...
Only if your front radio bezel shows rear HVAC. I did a comple conversion on mine I had a 2014 xlt flood car I bought for parts and used the leather interior and removed the rear HVAC unit from the quarter panel. Installed it all into mine. And wired it all in.. took quite a bit of research and time to get it figured out but now that Its done it wasn't really "too hard" just time consuming...

Back