3.5L EcoBoost Turbo Oil Leak

LIVIO

Reaction score
City, State
York Region, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Ford Explorer Platinum
Hey everyone.

Is anyone having issues with oil leaks from the 3.5L EcoBoost Turbo's?

I had a 2014 Explorer Sport that had an oil leak from the rearmost turbo and now my 2017 Explorer Platinum with only 35,000kms has the exact same issue.

My Ford dealer says it's not a common problem and maybe it isn't but I have had two Explorers with the same engine and the same problem.

I'll keep it for the length of my lease and the warranty duration but not after that.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got ~67K miles on my Sport with no leaks(knock on wood).

I'd be curious to know where's it coming from. Usually turbo "leaks" go into the turbo and burn off in the exhaust side. If you have leaks on the outside, it might not be the turbo, but the lines running to it or the fitting on the turbo. Just a thought.

On both my 2014 and 2017 I could smell oil burning from both the inside and outside of the vehicle.

On my 2014 the Ford dealer told me that they had to replace the rearmost turbo and it was perfect after that.

My 2017 is going in next week so hopefully all goes well and my Explorer is back to perfect again.

Over 60K on our Platinum and no oil leaks. Knock on wood.

72K on my 2014 Sport with no oil leaks.

65k on my 2014 and just starting burning oil (bad). Turns out from the turbo as well, dripping onto the cat. Dealer quotes 6 hours of labor to fix. Time to find a different dealer...

65k on my 2014 and just starting burning oil (bad). Turns out from the turbo as well, dripping onto the cat. Dealer quotes 6 hours of labor to fix. Time to find a different dealer...
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If you are having it repaired at a Ford dealer then they are likely quoting you what their book says as far as labour goes. If that is the case, all dealers will likely be the same.
Too bad that you are 5k over the warranty. Good luck.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
If you are having it repaired at a Ford dealer then they are likely quoting you what their book says as far as labour goes. If that is the case, all dealers will likely be the same.
Too bad that you are 5k over the warranty. Good luck.

Peter
Thanks and I appreciate the point re dealer quote

However, the TSB for what appears to be the same issue recalled by ford in newer models calls it a half day job. I’m optimistic a different dealer with both (1) help me fight with ford and (2) do it for the same hours as recall was performed under

Thanks and I appreciate the point re dealer quote

However, the TSB for what appears to be the same issue recalled by ford in newer models calls it a half day job. I’m optimistic a different dealer with both (1) help me fight with ford and (2) do it for the same hours as recall was performed under

Doubtful on #2. The TSB is what Ford will reimburse the dealer for, not necessarily a proper amount of time. It is well known that manufacturers do not pay what they should for warranty repairs.

same with my 2015 explorer sport, leaking oil destroyed one of the turbos, needs to be replaced. oil corroded the turbo

mine has 57k reading and the warranty here in the philippines is just till 50k

Same problem with my 2014 explorer sport 69K it's leaking oil from the turbos..............Its sad no recall is issued for 2014's but for the 2016 they have a recall for the same problem!!!!!!!!!!.......THAT'S TOTAL BS FORD!!!!
$1000 to fix it's at the dealer now...........

Been a FORD guy my whole life!!! My dad retired from ford. My family has bought over 30 vehicles over the years all ford's. I think it's time to switch from FORD.

Hey everyone.

Is anyone having issues with oil leaks from the 3.5L EcoBoost Turbo's?

I had a 2014 Explorer Sport that had an oil leak from the rearmost turbo and now my 2017 Explorer Platinum with only 35,000kms has the exact same issue.

My Ford dealer says it's not a common problem and maybe it isn't but I have had two Explorers with the same engine and the same problem.

I'll keep it for the length of my lease and the warranty duration but not after that.

Thoughts?

I have a 2015 explorer sport. Took it in for an oil change. That same day came home and started smelling oil. I figured maybe they spilled some, no biggie it happens and will burn off. Well, 140 miles later i still smell it BAD inside and outside of the car. I finally called them and said something isnt right. Maybe the filter isnt on right or something. And there was oil all around the drain plug area. They looked at it and said it had nothing to do with them changing my oil. So they wouldnt cover it. However, the issue is the hose where the turbo is. Its leaking, it could be at the o-ring they arent sure. But $1,788 it could be fixed. $900 in parts alone which is a bunch of o-rings, washers bolts etx....

Im glad im not the only one with this issue, but seems that a lot of us are having this problem.

Maybe it should be a recall!!

^^ Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
A Recall is only issued for Safety related issues. BTW, there are only 5 members here who have posted about the issue. It is not a common one.

Peter

A Recall is only issued for Safety related issues. BTW, there are only 5 members here who have posted about the issue. It is not a common one.

Peter
I noticed oil burning smell a few weeks ago, took my 2016 Explorer Sport to my mechanic for an oil change, He called me and stated there is oil leaking from the rear turbo. I just bought the car July 2020 with 72,000 miles on it. No warranty. :(

I noticed oil burning smell a few weeks ago, took my 2016 Explorer Sport to my mechanic for an oil change, He called me and stated there is oil leaking from the rear turbo. I just bought the car July 2020 with 72,000 miles on it. No warranty. :(
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There are a few expensive repairs that members have run into That is one of them. Here is another; Water pump failure leads to dead engine
You may want to consider a Ford ESP if you plan to keep it a while. Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members
Have you checked the front lip of the hood? Hood Paint bubble issue only

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There are a few expensive repairs that members have run into That is one of them. Here is another; Water pump failure leads to dead engine
You may want to consider a Ford ESP if you plan to keep it a while. Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members
Have you checked the front lip of the hood? Hood Paint bubble issue only

Peter
Peter, Thanks for the response. I just found out about this turbo leaking this morning and haven't followed up with my mechanic anymore as he is doing the oil change and rear brakes today. He did state the turbo intercooler pipe was coming off and he was going to get that put back on, then look to see if the oil leak was external or internal so we could discuses options on how to proceed going forward. In the mean time I've been googling to see if this is a common issues and that's how I found this forum. I guess I'm looking for some clarification from anyone on here regarding the actual issue at hand. Does the turbo it self need to be replaced or is the oil leaking from a line, bad O ring or something? Just trying to get in idea of what I'm dealing with along with wanting to let my mechanic know what I've found. What is the typical life expectancy for the water pump on these? I was aware of the hood bubbling prior to buying, I have a body shop friend that used to complain about the issue a few years ago. My car spent most of its life in TX and has only been in WI for just less than 2 years. I do have 1 small bubble currently. Thanks for the help -Tom

Understood Tom. BTW, the bubbling has nothing to do with climate. It because of the way the aluminum hood was prepared at the factory.

Peter

Peter, Thanks for the response. I just found out about this turbo leaking this morning and haven't followed up with my mechanic anymore as he is doing the oil change and rear brakes today. He did state the turbo intercooler pipe was coming off and he was going to get that put back on, then look to see if the oil leak was external or internal so we could discuses options on how to proceed going forward. In the mean time I've been googling to see if this is a common issues and that's how I found this forum. I guess I'm looking for some clarification from anyone on here regarding the actual issue at hand. Does the turbo it self need to be replaced or is the oil leaking from a line, bad O ring or something? Just trying to get in idea of what I'm dealing with along with wanting to let my mechanic know what I've found. What is the typical life expectancy for the water pump on these? I was aware of the hood bubbling prior to buying, I have a body shop friend that used to complain about the issue a few years ago. My car spent most of its life in TX and has only been in WI for just less than 2 years. I do have 1 small bubble currently. Thanks for the help -Tom
Water pump might fail at 100k or might not fail in the useful life of the vehicle. Something else might doit it first, who knows. I have 150k on a non turbo. No issues with water pump.
Change fluids and oil as required in manual.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter
An oil leak is a major safety issue. Any oil leak in an engine can cause a fire! There are more than 5 Ford owners that have this problem or Ford would not have issued TSBs regarding turbo oil supply line leaking. The Ford F-150s with the turbocharged ecoboost engines have this problem as well.

Back