Ford TracLoc Clutch Set, Short Ears? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford TracLoc Clutch Set, Short Ears?

BobWiersema

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Burbs, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt 4.0L SOHC 4x4
Hi all,
I'm looking at Rock auto for a differential clutch set. I see two choices, one of them says "short ears".
How do I know which one to order? Without taking it apart first.
98 Explorer, Axel code D4

Thanks in advance,
Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also would 2nd a Ford racing rebuild. They also make a standard replacement option and they are Ford parts. I'd go ford parts way before multi vehicle fit aftermarket stuff.

That's zero help. I didn't ask what Mustang performance parts would you buy?

The internals are 100% interchangeable to a mustang. Why not get the best. I actually installed the whole trac lok carrier from the site. Like boomin said the factory ford one is available on the site too. That is what you would get from the dealer. This is a part under very high stress, you want something very heavy duty!

Ford Performance Mustang Traction - LOK Rebuild Kit - 8.8 in. M-4700-B (86-04 V8) - Free Shipping

I also would 2nd a Ford racing rebuild. They also make a standard replacement option and they are Ford parts. I'd go ford parts way before multi vehicle fit aftermarket stuff.

So don't use multi vehicle parts, use mustang parts. Great idea, do I use the Cobra, GT or V6 kit? Mustang uses 1 less clutch on each side so should I order two kits?
Also, Ford does not make these parts. They are made by USA Standard Gear. Same parts are sold by Rock Auto for half the price.

If you are unfamiliar with rebuilding these differentials, please don't respond. "Buy Mustang parts" is not helpful in anyway.

This is what I've learned so far.

1. The clutch plate next to the gear looks like it is worn out. Normal condition.
2. The clutch pack Ears are square from 1983 (and before) through at least 1989.
3. The clutch pack Ears are rounded from before 1995 to at least 2001.
4. The Differential Case has square slots from 1983 (and before) through at least 1995.
5. The 2001 Differential Case has drilled holes in the end for Short Rounded Ears clutch packs and will not take square Ear clutch packs or Rounded Ears clutch packs from 1995.

So I think they are the round ones.
If you have rebuilt one of these, let me know.

If you are unfamiliar with rebuilding these differentials, please don't respond. "Buy Mustang parts" is not helpful in anyway.

So I think they are the round ones.

Factory for 98 8.8 Rear End does have Round Ears.

M-4700-B is the factory replacement kit.

I used M-4700-C Kit Which is Carbon Fiber Clutch Material.

You must use the friction modifier or your rear end will grab really hard in turns.

Friction Modifier actually lets the clutches slide past each other in turns.

Once rebuilt it would be best course of action to take your truck to an empty parking lot and drive a few figure 8 turns to work the clutches in.

New one will be few noisy for the first few miles.

From reading your post I would suggest the M-4700-B kit for your application.

During install PLEASE wear safety glasses. The "S Spring" is under a lot of load and may pop out and whack you in the face.

While the truck is down it may not be a bad idea to change out you rear axle shaft seals.

It's an 8.8 diff, same as Mustang GT. The V8 mustang's, Explorer and F150 use the same 8.8.

I'm just as sour with rock auto from a bad experience as you are with your replies. How are you so sure the USA gear clutches are the exact same as the Ford. Also I've never seen 4 clutch packs on either side of a factory diff, it's always 3 with 2 plates back to back in one spot. Some people add the 4th between those for extra preload.

I've pulled apart at least 50 8.8 rear diffs, please don't be a dick to people trying to help. Oh and yes you need the rounded ears since your axle is 95+ (94 and before were square)

It's an 8.8 diff, same as Mustang GT. The V8 mustang's, Explorer and F150 use the same 8.8.

I'm just as sour with rock auto from a bad experience as you are with your replies. How are you so sure the USA gear clutches are the exact same as the Ford. Also I've never seen 4 clutch packs on either side of a factory diff, it's always 3 with 2 plates back to back in one spot. Some people add the 4th between those for extra preload.

I've pulled apart at least 50 8.8 rear diffs, please don't be a dick to people trying to help. Oh and yes you need the rounded ears since your axle is 95+ (94 and before were square)
I looked on Rockauto and I don't see the savings he is talking about! I paid less for an ENTIRE carrier what the Carbon Fiber ones cost. I would hope they are the Ford ones at that price, they are probably good quality as well.

You are also putting $50 of synthetic fluid in...Any savings would be lost there unless you pump it out. I drive on dirt roads up hills and that CF setup is excellent.

Back