2.3 EcoBoost Waterpump Replaced at 26,000 miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.3 EcoBoost Waterpump Replaced at 26,000 miles

whimsey

Reaction score
City, State
sparta, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 XLT
While on vacation with our 2017 Explorer I did my usual inspections to make sure to make sure everything at least looked ok. I noticed the coolant level was below the minimum cold fill mark on the tank. Upon return it was taken to the dealer because the driver door keypad came loose for the second time. My wife also asked them about the low coolant level. They looked at it and determined the water pump was "cracked" because it's "plastic". Is the water pump body plastic or the impeller? They didn't tell my wife which one was cracked. If the impeller was cracked I'd think it would not leak but not cool as well. There was no problem with cooling. It's disheartening if the water pump body is made of plastic or something not metal. Hopefully this is not an on going problem due to a design fault.

Whimsey

While on vacation with our 2017 Explorer I did my usual inspections to make sure to make sure everything at least looked ok. I noticed the coolant level was below the minimum cold fill mark on the tank. Upon return it was taken to the dealer because the driver door keypad came loose for the second time. My wife also asked them about the low coolant level. They looked at it and determined the water pump was "cracked" because it's "plastic". Is the water pump body plastic or the impeller? They didn't tell my wife which one was cracked. If the impeller was cracked I'd think it would not leak but not cool as well. There was no problem with cooling. It's disheartening if the water pump body is made of plastic or something not metal. Hopefully this is not an on going problem due to a design fault.

Whimsey

This is embarrassing, but I just was finally able to look and the water pump body appears to be metal. So I don't know what the "plastic" is they are talking about that caused the external leak.

Whimsey

Probably the thermostat housing/assembly. Look and see if your paperwork shows a part number, housing would be FR3Z-8575-A.

Back