4.0 SOHC Timing Noise | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Took a better vid

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I personally don't think that sound is abnormal, I've never heard a SOHC truck any quieter.

Thanks I'm just happy other people that own these engines think it's normal

I was all excited getting a new engine ...never had a new any engine ..... thinking the new one will be quiet
Boy I was wrong

Took a better vid

It sounds just like mine. Below is a video of from today with a cold start to normal idle and I put the RPMs at 1100 at the 5 minute mark.

I think the noise is from the timing tensioners and chains not being Ford brand, but don't have anything to back this up with. When I first started mine after the rebuild it was dead quite for the first 15 minutes of idling and the first drive, then it developed the noise it has today.

I used a decibel meter and it was 77 db from the start and I drove it 55 miles in the city (Memphis, TN) and it was still 77 db after driving it and all the temps were normal with a laser gun.

It sounds just like mine. Below is a video of from today with a cold start to normal idle and I put the RPMs at 1100 at the 5 minute mark.

I think the noise is from the timing tensioners and chains not being Ford brand, but don't have anything to back this up with. When I first started mine after the rebuild it was dead quite for the first 15 minutes of idling and the first drive, then it developed the noise it has today.

I used a decibel meter and it was 77 db from the start and I drove it 55 miles in the city (Memphis, TN) and it was still 77 db after driving it and all the temps were normal with a laser gun.

Yep I think it's a normal sounds
However others said they will post a vid
We'll see what they sound like
Dead quiet for first ride just enough time to wash away assembly lube

Your latest video sounds fine, not disimilar to mine. Also the sound on video seems to pick up too much white noise.

I'm not much at filming!
OK, tried to upload video but did not work, so I posted on YouTube under the heading "Quiet Sport Trac" 1&2.

Your latest video sounds fine, not disimilar to mine. Also the sound on video seems to pick up too much white noise.

I'm not much at filming!
OK, tried to upload video but did not work, so I posted on YouTube under the heading "Quiet Sport Trac" 1&2.
Here ya go

Thanks donalds, I live in Philippines (Brit) the internet is crap here and it took 2 to 3 hours to upload to YouTube!

Thanks donalds, I live in Philippines (Brit) the internet is crap here and it took 2 to 3 hours to upload to YouTube!
Yours sounds healthy
Enjoy it
Don't beat the crap out of it
It will last if you change oil every 3000 miles 4800 km

Following^

New in 1997, my original SOHC always made noise.

At about 90,000 miles, Ford replaced the engine under warranty because of timing chain issues not related to drivability, just mild clatter.

I thought the engine settled down after an additional 100,000 miles, and was relatively quiet.

At 430,000 miles, with increasing clatter and rattle (especially at cold start), got a rebuilt engine.... the rebuilt engine makes clatter and rattle similar to most of the above videos!

Took it to Ford last week, and tech could hear the rattle but could not diagnose it. Just said it was internal to engine. At least Ford did not charge me for that.

Dang, guess we just live with it.

Following^

New in 1997, my original SOHC always made noise.

At about 90,000 miles, Ford replaced the engine under warranty because of timing chain issues not related to drivability, just mild clatter.

I thought the engine settled down after an additional 100,000 miles, and was relatively quiet.

At 430,000 miles, with increasing clatter and rattle (especially at cold start), got a rebuilt engine.... the rebuilt engine makes clatter and rattle similar to most of the above videos!

Took it to Ford last week, and tech could hear the rattle but could not diagnose it. Just said it was internal to engine. At least Ford did not charge me for that.

Dang, guess we just live with it.
It must be normal
After all these vids of brand new engines
They all sound the same
Mine sounds super loud in my first vid
But the second vid is more like what it actually sounds like

If I have the chance I'm going to have my neighbor look at mine tomorrow and see what he says. He has extensive experience with these 4.0 sohc at one of the local dealerships. I've worked on a lot of these and yes they tend to run loud, but I have never heard one like my rebuild or the ones in the videos posted. Is it out of the question that it could be an internal part outside of the timing?

For the record, there are many types of engines, some high-end, that have a similar SOHC timing setup and they tend to be reliable and quiet. It's just disappointing that it's not as quiet as I thought it would be after all the hard work I've put into it.

donalds, did you use conventional oil for the first 1500 miles? My rebuild shop bored mine to .020 and suggested conventional 5w 30 oil for the first 1500 miles and for the additional 3000 to ensure proper wear, and then whatever 5w 30 I wanted to use after that.

Mine just being rebuilt, today was my first test drive and I've opted for a "hard breakin". Up to 4000 rpm but not flat to the floor and it's tricky with an automatic it sort of controls you?

My true feelings are that it has more potential power after rebuild, it's responsive on the accelerator and went like a bird, I was really chuffed. The roads here in the Philippines are not so flat, country type but not potholes. Well onwards and upwards to the next 41000k.

If I have the chance I'm going to have my neighbor look at mine tomorrow and see what he says. He has extensive experience with these 4.0 sohc at one of the local dealerships. I've worked on a lot of these and yes they tend to run loud, but I have never heard one like my rebuild or the ones in the videos posted. Is it out of the question that it could be an internal part outside of the timing?

For the record, there are many types of engines, some high-end, that have a similar SOHC timing setup and they tend to be reliable and quiet. It's just disappointing that it's not as quiet as I thought it would be after all the hard work I've put into it.

donalds, did you use conventional oil for the first 1500 miles? My rebuild shop bored mine to .020 and suggested conventional 5w 30 oil for the first 1500 miles and for the additional 3000 to ensure proper wear, and then whatever 5w 30 I wanted to use after that.
Dino up to 5000 mi

Likewise sir likewise

I should have a special youtube video posted tonight on this very topic!

So I bought a 2000 Explorer with the 4.0 SOHC (2wd) today because I'm just going to do an engine swap and sell the one that I just bought with my noisy rebuilt engine. Listen how quiet this 4.0 SOHC runs. It needs a few oddball stuff but I got it for an absolute steal on facebook market and for how smooth that engine runs and sounds it was worth it.

The new timing noise is the metal backed guides
That engine probably has the all plastic ones
Less noisy
It was driving me insane so I went to ford
And compared they sound the same also the ones that idle slower are louder I looked at three
Got under them
The mechanic asked me why I was looking he waits until I was done and then he told me this is a common question
Then told me the new metal reinforcement makes them noisy
Don't sell your new engine

Best part is I got charged nothing that guy was a good ole country boy
Let me look at used cars 2009s 2010s actually talked to me
It was cool .Usually they r dicks at the dealership

It's the metal backed guides making the extra noise, my old 2001 XLT, 4.0 2WD was slightly above silent like your 99, and the guy still drives it. I have an extra SOHC sitting here though, a 99 Sport, ford reman from the EARLY 2000s out a truck that didn't break 136K miles that's DEAD silent, like ZERO rattle. Gotta buy a truck eventually for that, thinking a mid 2000s Ranger.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At like 900 1000 rpm the sound disappears
Mine idles at 650
It's just the sound of the chains being pulled over the guides

Back