• Register Today It's free!

Replace water pump?

curlywurly

Reaction score
City, State
OKLAHOMA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
Car runs great and have zero issues, but I've read horror stories about catastrophic water pump failure, I've read so many things on this my head is spinning, but I'm aware that my mileage is getting up there and I may be entering the 'water pump' danger zone.

A local shop recommended doing a BG coolant flush (I think a coolant flush is a service item at a 100k), and with that comes with a warranty, so if the pump did fail it might be covered by BGs warranty, now this sounds to good to be true, what do you think?

My other option is to have the water pump replaced, which around $1500, so certainly not the cheapest option, but how common is the issue?

I'm also considering having the transmission flushed/drained refilled,it is a service item at 150k but have read mixed things on things, some people swear by Fords service schedule, others say no way transmission fluid will last that long and Ford (well the bean counters) consider the car EOL after 150k anyway, so you need to get it done early, what are the best options?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I doubt that the pump would be covered by the warranty that comes with the coolant flush unless it specifically says that it will be covered. And then it would likely only cover the water pump and not the engine that it took out when it went bad.

As for replacing the pump, how would you feel if the new one went out in 5,000 miles where the original might of lasted the life of the vehicle? I have had a replaced water pump fail in 500 miles.

It's a crap shoot whatever you do..

I would change coolant per manual or sooner. Otherwise keep close eye on coolant level. I think your odds are slim of failure. My 11 has 94k on it with original pump and coolant level has not changed in two years that I noticed.

We had 2 Explorers, a 2004, and a 2013, it's the 2013 that I'm concerned about.

I've updated my profile, sorry for the confusion.

Thanks Keith, I'll get the coolant done, schedule is 100k, so just doing a little bit early. Dealer wants $172 inc Tax, which I didn't think was terrible.

The local shop, which does have a very good reputation, quoted $130 for a BG coolant flush, thing is, I've just looked on the Ford dealer site for service coupons and the such like, and they have a 'Service Special' which has a 'BG Engines for life' which makes me think they are using the same equipment and cleaners as the local shop.

From what I have read the problem with the water pump failing is when it fails and coolant enters the oil system to take out the engine with no external leaking.

What I plan on doing is a oil analysis to see what is in the oil and perhaps head it off that way. But the analysis doesn't just tell you if there is coolant in the oil it will give you a good breakdown of how the engine is wearing internally along with how the oil itself is doing.

Unfortunately all knowledgeable owners will come to this same decision point vs the vast majority of owners who have no idea this potential and inevitable problem exist. To me it's all about how you plan on using your Explorer in high mileage. If you plan on taking long road trips, with or without family, then I would recommend changing out the water pump, but if you plan on using it for short trips or as a commuter, I would just keep on eye on the coolant level in the overflow tank.

It's terrible design that Ford should take responsibility of if any engine seizes before 150,000 miles provided the coolant was changed as required at 100,000 miles.

I have no experience with the water pump issue at all but I can tell you this about the transmission fluid. No matter what kind of awesome sauce Ford thinks they have in their transmission fluid there is no way I'm leaving any fluid in a vehicle for 150000 miles. No way. It'll get 75000 max.

As soon as the odometer on mine ticks over 50000 I'll probably swap the PTU oil out as well. There will probably also be a coolant flush with waterless coolant going in.

I changed radiator fluid and transmission fluid at 75k. I am not waiting until 150k either.

I'm at 98770 miles on the clock. I had my transmission flush at 56K and coolant flush at 80K.

I could not find someone to service my PTU and that failed at 97K with the original fluid. Cost $1900 tax included to replace at a Ford dealer. I hope the water pump will last.

I have 2012 explorer
260.000km
Do i need change the water pump ?

Assuming you've driven your car for six years, that's about 27,000 miles per year. I also assume that is a lot of highway mileage vs city mileage. I also noticed where it says "City, State" you have "N y", is that for New York or a Canadian Province, since you put your mileage in kilometers?

Assuming you've driven your car for six years, that's about 27,000 miles per year. I also assume that is a lot of highway mileage vs city mileage. I also noticed where it says "City, State" you have "N y", is that for New York or a Canadian Province, since you put your mileage in kilometers?
We don't have a N.y province unless we annexed NY state. I was also somewhat confused by that since I took it to mean NY and the mileage was reported in KM.:dunno:

Peter

In fact, it is not New York and not Canada , I am living in Saudi Arabia. and traveling 1600 km every week. My friend has explorer 2014 and see his car below :thumbsup:

IMG_20180810_235700.jpg

In fact, it is not New York and not Canada , I am living in Saudi Arabia. and traveling 1600 km every week. My friend has explorer 2014 and see his car below :thumbsup:

Ah, that explains it, thanks. Almost a 1,000 miles a week is a lot, but back to your original question about whether or not to change your water pump proactively. It's all about the risk, reward profile that you or your friend is comfortable with. When the water pump fails in this particular engine, coolant will either leak externally to where you can see the coolant on the ground and this should also increase the engine temperature giving you or your friend a warning. Or, it could leak coolant internally into the engine oil potentially causing catastrophic damage to the engine, sometimes without warning. The thread below has a few owner experiences in it, some with the mileage that the water pump failed at, in addition to a lot of information on the topic:

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Best of luck with your decision.

Ah, that explains it, thanks. Almost a 1,000 miles a week is a lot, but back to your original question about whether or not to change your water pump proactively. It's all about the risk, reward profile that you or your friend is comfortable with. When the water pump fails in this particular engine, coolant will either leak externally to where you can see the coolant on the ground and this should also increase the engine temperature giving you or your friend a warning. Or, it could leak coolant internally into the engine oil potentially causing catastrophic damage to the engine, sometimes without warning. The thread below has a few owner experiences in it, some with the mileage that the water pump failed at, in addition to a lot of information on the topic:

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

Best of luck with your decision.

Thank you for reply , I decided to replace the water pump before 300.000 km :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the BG coolant flush done ($140) and all seems ok, and few days later I got the transmission flushed at a reputable transmission shop, not a BG flush though, it was also $140. I told the guy at the transmission that I have no issue with the transmission, and his advice was that just get a regular flush, he did say that if I was having issues with it then a BG Flush might be worth it, but was not a cure-all.

Car drives the same after all the flushes, temp gauge in the same spot. shifts nice and smooth, which is a good thing.

He also commented that he had 2 Nissan's in the shop (CVT) both with transmissions that had gone out and both had less than 60k on them, I asked him if changing fluid would have help prevent that or was it just bad luck, his comment was flushing wouldn't have prevented it, some of it is bad luck, but in his experience the way people drive is the most damaging, if you drive like it's stolen all the time it it's very hard on the transmission, obvious when you think about it.

Regarding the water pump, all I can do is check levels etc and hope for the best, preventive wise, I think I've done my bit.

We now have a second car so the mileage on the Explorer will go down now, probably only 6k year, so all things considered I think I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed, and hope the pump doesn't fail catastrophically, or catch in time.

Back