massacre

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
‘94 Explorer
‘19 Nautilus
So I bought a Haynes manual and it says that if the timing cover is removed, the oil pan had to be removed also and that requires pulling the engine.
Of course I read this after pulling the cover, and I don’t have time to pull engine & reinstall.
After looking at it, can I clean everything up really well and use RTV in addition to the gasket to seal it?
I watched a video where they used red RTV to seal up a timing cover without pulling engine.

My question is can I seal the cover & reinstall, will it leak, and what type is sealant should I use?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welp I can’t wait around any longer so i’m going to get some red RTV and see if I can’t get this timing cover back on. I’ll just be generous with it without being messy hopefully it works.

Is it easy to center the timing cover? Balancer is off

Is it easy to center the timing cover? Balancer is off
@massacre
Loosen slightly the first few oil pan bolts behind where the timing cover meets the block. If pan gasket is damaged, clean absolutely with solvent, no oiliness present, use RTV silicone sealant thick enough to form new gasket, especially at corners where cover meets pan. Slip cover in place start several bolts, don't tighten anything yet. Slip harmonic balancer onto crankshaft far enough to engage in oil seal. This will locate the cover without use of a tool. Snug down cover bolts first, not too tight, then snug pan bolts. Tighten cover bolts, then pan bolts, draw balancer all the way on using the big bolt. Let silicone set for at least 24 hours, or more if possible, or you may get leakage. Good luck. imp

Thanks
I used permatex ultra grey
Everything is hand tight now
I’ll throw the balancer on real quick

When I said it was off, I meant it was off the vehicle, not off-centered.
Timing cover looks ok as does water pump and balancer.
Thanks for the help everyone

Back