5r55w blown out OD servo cover Please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5r55w blown out OD servo cover Please help

saewoody

Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT (RIP)
2003 XLT
Haven’t been on the forum much since my 97 was totaled several years ago, but I bought an 03 this past winter that drove very nice. But at the end of June it blew out the OD servo cover. At this point I’m at a crossroads and hoping you guys with more experience can help me out. I will apologize for the long post ahead of time. I just want to be as informative as possible. Thanks.

Order of events: My wife said the OD light came on and I told her to turn off the car and see if it came back on. It didn’t come back on, but later in the day while stopped at a drive thru for coffee the servo cover blew for the first time. Had it towed it home. The cover was about half way out, still being held on partly by the snap ring.

I did a lot of reading on the topic. Based on the reading I did it seemed that some people just pushed the cover back in and had no further problems. So I gave that a shot. It lasted about two weeks before it happened again. This time I happened to be right behind my wife and saw the smoke from the fluid on the exhaust and towed her home with a tow strap. I did pull the codes after the first break down.

Some of the other things I read seemed to point me in the direction of AJ1E servo kits with the o rings on the shaft. I emailed them and the response I got said that this probably is not my issue, but that most likely it’s a stuck pressure relief valve, and it might be possible that changing the fluid could help. Fluid looked clean when I bought the truck, and I probably replace about 5 quarts when I refilled it after the first blowout. I just pulled the cover the other day and found the inner o ring broken. I don’t think that was the cause of the problem, but I suppose it could have happened when I pushed the cover back in the first time.

So ultimately my question is do I just put the cover back in with new o rings, which again will come with another several quarts of new fluid and hope it frees up a possibly stuck pressure relief valve. Or order one of the AJ1E OD servos since I’m working in there already. I really don’t want to spend any extra money I don’t want to.

As far as the codes go, I really have no way of knowing if they were set when the OD light came on (I guess at least one of them caused to go off), or if they are a result of the cover blowing. Again, I apologize for the long post; just trying to be as detailed as possible. Thanks again!

F6ECE3DE-7EFC-4EA5-9026-C5ED7D961BB0.jpeg

20E056BB-C4F2-4CCB-96CD-5120C1321DAF.jpeg

861472ED-69AA-4CF3-AE9E-CD86AFF244C7.jpeg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it’s helpful, I also have some short videos I can post of pressures and such as I shift through the gears. I don’t really know what the pressures should be or if that information would be helpful or not.

There are two test ports for pressure. One is for the EPC solenoid, and the other is for main pressure. Each gear range should change the pressure reading on the test gauge.
Thanks for the response. This pressure information in these videos doesn’t really mean much to me, but maybe to someone else. The longer video was too large to upload. But hopefully this info will help. The pics and video were taken after the the servo cover had been reinstalled after the first blowout. Thanks. Grr- neither video would load. I’ll try again tomorrow. Time for bed.

CDCED635-7888-46F9-BBA2-9682F1898181.jpeg

C7AAE751-D8FC-49F2-A248-B8D8600D7CA6.jpeg

These PDFs should have everything that you need to get this job done. They contain diagrams, charts, photos, etc.

Attachments

• 5R55W complete.pdf
    6.4 MB · Views: 470
  • 5R55W O ring servo instructions..pdf
    151.4 KB · Views: 297

Most likely the case is damaged around where the snap ring seats. This is a very common issue as the unit ages is corrodes the aluminum and the ring can no longer do its job. If you live in an area that has snow and treated roads this is going to be your issue. Case replacement or used transmission is about the only options. Good luck.
31A8A925-F886-4A69-8742-D5BC158408FF.jpeg

Most likely the case is damaged around where the snap ring seats. This is a very common issue as the unit ages is corrodes the aluminum and the ring can no longer do its job. If you live in an area that has snow and treated roads this is going to be your issue. Case replacement or used transmission is about the only options. Good luck.
View attachment 162751
Thanks for the response. I do live in that type of area. I’m in CT. But I have looked closely at the case, and it appears to be ok. It I will look again. Any harm in a dab of JB Weld, if that is the case?

JB weld will never hold the servo cover in. Take a good look at the area the snap ring seats in.

I have another PDF but it was too large to attach to a post. I could send it to your email if you like.
That would be awesome. The other PDFs were quite informative. I couldn’t find a private message feature to send you my email. Haven’t used the site too much in recent history. If there is a way you can PM me, I’ll get you the email address. Thanks!

Got a little time after work today to look at the truck. There’s been a lot of rain lately. I loosened up the OD band and pulled out the servo. The area where the snap ring inserts looks fine. I went around it with a pic and cleaned it out the best I could.

When I pulled out the servo I did notice a slight split in the o-ring gasket on it. I imagine this should be replaced. Is there any chance this is what has been causing my problem?

I also noticed the other day that the servo cover is a bit deformed. Probably from popping out of the case. It seems like I may need to replace that as well. I was toying with the idea of positioning that spot of the cover at the open part of the snap ring. Or maybe it would be better at the middle portion of the ring. Any input?

Thanks again
4281BE76-C2A8-404D-81AD-F0A3F3E03EB2.jpeg
83492822-EF2E-41FF-B4B0-E6E68EC4561F.jpeg
1E2EDB6E-9CE2-4599-9E26-94915F7B1BD4.jpeg

8411774E-FCA6-4B0C-86B6-69E29BCF8462.jpeg

4CDD323A-D1EE-4A15-8317-EA8DA4CD265C.jpeg

3A0D63DF-B8E6-4347-AB72-F450BFE862BA.jpeg

5F7D71CB-3682-49FD-B91E-7C752E3F6AAB.jpeg

Back