2001 Sport Trac Body Mount Bushings w/ Hardware | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2001 Sport Trac Body Mount Bushings w/ Hardware

2001-03 two door Sports used all MCF foam mounts except for the radiator supports. Not sure about other Sports. If black color they are rubber, orange is foam. Physically look at yours. DO NOT use OE replacement foam mounts whatever you do. I got a "great" deal in 2014 for a fraction of the stupid expensive Ford prices that are now showing signs of dry rot.

Frame Components for 2004 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

PBKruTm.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

T
2001-03 two door Sports used all MCF foam mounts except for the radiator supports. Not sure about the 2002-05 Sports. If black color they are rubber, orange is foam. Physically look at yours. DO NOT use OE replacement foam mounts whatever you do. I got a "great" deal in 2014 for a fraction of the stupid expensive Ford prices that are now showing signs of dry rot.

Frame Components for 2004 Ford Explorer | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake

PBKruTm.jpg
8Td9WeK.jpg
Thanks for the heads up. Yea. Only the foam mounts on mine are gone. The rubber ones are fine. It took me a while to make a decision, mostly because E-4 pay in the Navy isn't enough to casually buy parts whenever I want. However, after a lot of thinking, I've decided to get a Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift instead. It's $265 on Auto anything dot com and replacement Prothane bushings cost over $100 already. I figured it's better to get the lift for $165 since I have to replace the bushings anyway. I've never done a body lift so this will be a new experience. Wish me luck!

How many miles till these bushings go bad?
Its more dependent on time and the environment where you live. The foam bushings just rot away. The first ST I owned was 7 years old and had 54k miles and the foam was rotted away. Now I bought a 17 year old ST with 127k miles.

Only the foam mounts on mine are gone. The rubber ones are fine.

I've decided to get a Performance Accessories 3" Body Lift instead. It's $265 on Auto anything dot com and replacement Prothane bushings cost over $100 already. I figured it's better to get the lift for $165 since I have to replace the bushings anyway. I've never done a body lift so this will be a new experience. Wish me luck!

The Performance Accessories 3" lift pucks are installed on top of the existing body mounts. See pics in link below.

Body Mount Bushings

Those body lift kits are just hard plastic spacers and longer bolts. You're still going to need to replace your body mount bushings if they missing/destroyed.

What if just the foam is missing? I can't believe lifts would get installed on top of a just foam

Why not? The body was supported by just the OE foam. You still need the OE metal parts and either OE foam or neoprene bushings.

8Td9WeK.jpg

What if just the foam is missing? I can't believe lifts would get installed on top of a just foam
Why not? The body was supported by just the OE foam. You still need the OE metal parts and either OE foam or neoprene bushings.

8Td9WeK.jpg
I guess I just didn't expect the foam to support that much weight. Ok. Well I guess I'll have to get the Prothane kit after all. I'll just stick with the TT and Shackles for now.

You need something to keep the body straight and to provide a little cushioning and flex. You'll be amazed at how much better the truck's ride will feel with new bushings. Before I replaced mine my doors didn't close right and the ride felt horrible.

You need something to keep the body straight and to provide a little cushioning and flex. You'll be amazed at how much better the truck's ride will feel with new bushings. Before I replaced mine my doors didn't close right and the ride felt horrible.
Thanks for the help koda

Thanks for the help koda

No problem. There are some good write-ups on replacing the body mount bushings, but if have a question just ask.

What I noticed is that the rear-most mounts (location "D") are made of a different material than the other 3 locations. This material seems to hold up fine, so I just replaced the "A", "B" and "C" bushings. This also makes the job much easier, as you can loosen/remove the A-C bushings on both sides w/out having to worry about the body shifting on you.

No problem. There are some good write-ups on replacing the body mount bushings, but if have a question just ask.

What I noticed is that the rear-most mounts (location "D") are made of a different material than the other 3 locations. This material seems to hold up fine, so I just replaced the "A", "B" and "C" bushings. This also makes the job much easier, as you can loosen/remove the A-C bushings on both sides w/out having to worry about the body shifting on you.

Things needed to make the job easier:
An impact wrench
Hand-held torch
Pipe wrench and/or fairly large vice grips
Floor jack and some scrap wood
Safety stands
1/2" torque wrench
WD40 (or something like it)
Anti-seize

Thanks Koda. As of now, I am fighting the valve cover gasket issue. Once done, I'll continue with the mounts. Unfortunately the gasket I purchase was a crush gasket and, in an attempt to tighten the valve cover volts, I ended up cracking the plastic cover. One project at a time for me :/

Back