How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? | Page 42 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Post number 869 has been selected as best answered.

246k on my 99 xlt 4.0 sohc. And it still has plenty left. Funny thing tho, this truck seems to like having its ass whipped. The harder you drive it, the better it performs! Honestly, it runs better for a while after you put your foot down hard and let it stretch its legs. I just keep the oil fresh and drive it everywhere! Also, speaking of oil, it doesn't leak or burn a drop between changes! Happy truck!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting to see your repairs. I bought my '95 new, and it has 280k now. Have had the rusted brake line, control arms, tie rods, ball joints, 7 tranny flushes, an inside door handle, 2 window motors. But I have original exhaust, although last hangar is broken, so a little wiggle on end of exhaust, replaced front wheel bearings, 2 or 3 axle seals, but no problems with a/c, alternator, radiator. Had trouble with a module on the info center, which caused left headlight to not come on, replace U-joint. Had to replace turn signal multi-function switch. Had to replace tensioner on serp belt a couple times. Had to replace seat belt stub, as seat belt wouldn't stay latched. Had to replace sub-woofer. I have check engine light on now for last 6k. Diagnostic showed emission control stuff, and they suggested replacing a pressure control valve. For now, haven't pursued that. May just use the black tape method on the dash. Had to replace CD changer, and now the replacement is acting up some. I have a small spot of rust that has showed up in the last year under the right rear door. I am on my 4th set of tires, but the first I have paid for thanks to the 2 Firestone recalls. Got 135k on the Michelins I got with the 2nd recall, so when it was about time to replace them, I bought another set of Michelins. I don't use or leak oil.

2000 Mountaineer 5.0L 2WD, purchased in Fall of 2012 for $2300 with 179K on it. Sold to my daughter for $1. Now has 260,000 + and still going strong.

Cost of ownership to-date - Just under $1,500
Replaced fuel pump in Fall of 2012 $60
Replaced front sway bar end links in Fall 2012 $20
Replace A/C clutch assembly in Spring of 2013 $120
Replaced radiator in Summer 2013 $120
Replace serpentine belt (twice 2012 & 2017) $50
Repaired driver's window (pulled out of regulator) twice $0
Repaired short in driver's door window wiring $0
Replaced gauge illumination bulbs $15
Replaced EATC module with used one $40
Lubed chirping cam synchronizer Fall 2014 $0
Fixed timing cover coolant leak w/K-Seal (4-5 years ago) $14
Replaced w/p bypass hose $10
Replaced idler pulley & tensioner w/pulley $83
Replaced upper/lower ball joints last year $100
Replaced front rotors and bearings last year $75
Replaced front brake pads 3X $59 (w/free replacements AZ)
Replaced rear brake pads once summer 2018 $20
Replace spark plugs & plug wires Spring 2018 $65
Replaced pinion seal last week $6
Rear diff oil change last week $20
Several sets of Michelin tires replaced w/take offs $250
Needs a new EATC blend door actuator $56
Replaced door striker bushings with 1/2 PEX $1.84
6 Mobil 1 EP oil changes w/EP oil filters $240
2 Gallons antifreeze $20
2-3 fuel filters $45

This just happened today. 2000 xls 4dr 4x4. Original engine and trans.

20181008_122944.jpg

Looks like all the original dirt too, damn. I’ve never seen a dirtier cluster.

LOL, yeah living on a dirt road has that effect.

Or driving with the windows down all day. My 98 I got three years ago I hit 207k recently, it's a good match with my 206k Mercury, and 99 with 152k. I'm driving about 125 miles a day now for just work, miles add up quick like that.

Wow Braden Tuman that is great news; Hope my 96 XLT 4x4 OHV 4.0L goes that far, everything still original on it, keep the maintenance up on it very well, and at 183,400 miles I guess it is just getting broke in------HAHAHA
95-96 OHV trucks seem to have a good chance at high mileage. All my repairs were mainly rust related(just about anything that can rust, did), and being in AZ that is not an issue. The only major thing you may run into are the heads cracking, and if my truck was rust free I would repair it the right way. The repair is relatively inexpensive and not really major like on an SOHC.

95-96 OHV trucks seem to have a good chance at high mileage. All my repairs were mainly rust related(just about anything that can rust, did), and being in AZ that is not an issue. The only major thing you may run into are the heads cracking, and if my truck was rust free I would repair it the right way. The repair is relatively inexpensive and not really major like on an SOHC.

It's not just the 95-96 OHV, my '94 had 337K when I traded it in. I thought the dealer would send it straight to the crusher, but I saw it driving around 5 years later. My '00 (OHV V6) is definately down on power at 300K, but still burns no oil. Seems ike it will continue to run for as long as I care to drive it.

1999 Mountaineer 5.0
248,000 miles
(original engine and transmission...and most everything else!)

Built in July 1999. Turning 20 years old in one month. Hoping to hit a quarter million on her birthday month!

I sold my '95 Explorer Limited last month with 284,794 miles on it. Still rolling.

I plan on getting 400,000 like these guys: (Take that Toyota!)
The first one is same engine I have -- 4.0 OHV and the second one must be the 5.0 ....being it was being used by him in law enforcement / police chases as he states....could only catch a 4 cylinder in the 4.0 OHV....:)

Just past 100K.

Just turned over 312,000 this week. 1999 Eddie Bauer. I put about 500 a week on this ole boy. Synthetic oil always. Just had the front end rebuilt. Love my Explorer!

186,860 today.

My 2000 Sport (Mr Blue), has about 167 K on it now. I recently had to replace the
cam synchronizer after it became noisy. Previous oil changes were with Castrol
10W-30 conventional oil. I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic now, and hoping that will cure
the syncro from wearing out prematurely...

My 2000 Sport (Mr Blue), has about 167 K on it now. I recently had to replace the
10W-30 conventional oil. I'm using Mobil 1 synthetic now, and hoping that will cure

Well done, those OHV 4.0's will last for ages with good care. The transmission though you need to give extra attention to, a VB kit etc, and best fluid you can get, plus a cooler.

We need to get you to the JYd's, to save a couple of the 302 Explorers, bring them home and swap the drivetrains into your Sport's.

10w30 isn’t any better for anything. It’s the same warm viscosity as 5w30, it just doesn’t flow as good in the cold, so it will actually just add wear.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These things last near forever, my 2000 V8 has 286,562, my 01 Eddie Bauer is a baby in comparison, V8 donor sat at 131,062 miles and I haven't drove it yet. I sold a 01 XLT V6 with near 240K a few years ago and last I heard of it, it had near 300K miles, though I think it died finally recently, was a rag mop vehicle. My parts truck, 99 5.0 AWD, only has 124K on it, it's a new truck almost, sat ten years almost. I wish daily I could find one young to replace my 2000, beginning to look nearly impossible where I'm at though.

Side note but 5w30 and 10w30 has no noticeable differences much if you're in somewhere like Florida, but 5w30 is what the book calls for.

Back