5R55S harsh shifting; bump engaging reverse; | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55S harsh shifting; bump engaging reverse;

You really need to put a pressure gauge on and verify that the pressure is truly elevated which would be an input issue from the PCM. Or you could have excessive clutch pack clearance in the direct drum. So many engine sensors and even ABS system issues will affect the drive ability of the transmission. The piece of green o ring sounds like it is from the modified servo piston. Good luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You really need to put a pressure gauge on and verify that the pressure is truly elevated which would be an input issue from the PCM. Or you could have excessive clutch pack clearance in the direct drum. So many engine sensors and even ABS system issues will affect the drive ability of the transmission. The piece of green o ring sounds like it is from the modified servo piston. Good luck.
Thanks for the info, I'll need to track down a pressure gauge and try it to see what comes up. As far as the modified servo piston goes I'm unfamiliar with that one. I changed out my IM as well as OD servos and those are the only two I am familiar with. Do you know where that servo is placed and is it accessible with the tranny still in the car?

I find if I'm real easy on my ex for the first 4 or 5 shifts it's not as noticeable and then virtually disappears once it's heated up. If it stays like this I can live with it my only real concern now is the manual shift from drive to reverse. I really don't like how hard it engages but I don't shift from D to R very often.

The replacement upgraded servos use a green o ring. These are what I was referring to.
1B0356D2-A440-40C2-AE1B-29B3FE54603C.png

The replacement upgraded servos use a green o ring. These are what I was referring to.
View attachment 163652
Lol, gotcha, you meant the "modified" servos. Okay, another stupid question... where do the o-rings go? I don't recall seeing them on the servos themselves when I installed them, maybe I need to pull them out and see which one was sheared off. I remember reading in the install instructions that you have to get the servo in right the first time or you risk damaging an o-ring. I assumed they meant the larger diameter black o-ring that goes around the servo cap.

C11F2352-D5C2-484D-BD44-E89E5C8112A5.jpeg
Here you go.

Back