Roof Rack / Rail Removal | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Roof Rack / Rail Removal

I was taking off my rails on my 2017 XLT and noticed the bolt sticking out of the roof like you mentioned. Do you still have it up there, and cut half way? Or did you find a way to remove it all together? I wouldn't be able to stand having the look of a bolt sticking out of my roof. Any help would be appreciated.

I cut them halfway “just in case” I needed the roof rails back on..but I also painted them to color of my car after the post I did..you couldn’t see them before I painted them unless you were above the car (car wash)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cut them halfway “just in case” I needed the roof rails back on..but I also painted them to color of my car after the post I did..you couldn’t see them before I painted them unless you were above the car (car wash)

Do you know how to fully remove that bolt? Is the bolt head accessible under the headliner? Is headliner easily removed from that side or will it cause damage? Heard it’s only held on with clips and magnets?

Any one ever remove the roof rails on their EX? Are the bolts that hold them on go thru the roof or are there threaded inserts on top of the roof?

Any one ever remove the roof rails on their EX? Are the bolts that hold them on go thru the roof or are there threaded inserts on top of the roof?
'Search' and ye shall find. Your post has been merged with this existing one.

Peter

FYI, on my 2018, that pesky center bolt/stud sticking out from the roof also had a male Torx head on it.

I simply put a female Torx socket on top of it and unscrewed it (counterclockwise), and it came out just fine, without any cutting or damage. Instead, it left a threaded hole (6mm x 16), same as all the other threaded holes in the roof rail area... so, no need to cut it; just unscrew it... then close it off with another 6mm x 16 button cap screw (like I did all the others on mine), and you're good to go!

So since im planning on getting a new explorer likely a 2018 or 2019 model I need to know if these parts for my 2015 will work with the newer models? If not does anyone know the part numbers for the newer model explorer?

Thanks!

Complete! Very easy! With shipping and tax for all 4 parts it came to $163.
The parts used:
DB5Z-7851729-AA
DB5Z-7851728-AA
FB5Z-7850002-A (REPLACES PART# DBZ5-7850002-B)
DB5Z-7850002-A

6mR976i.png

I don't know the answer but the 2016 - 2018 roof rails are different. They don't have the open spaces under the rails. They are flush to the roof. I believe the 2019 went back to the initial style similar to the 2015. 2016 / 18 Explorer Roof Racks - Totally Different

Peter

I don't know the answer but the 2016 - 2018 roof rails are different. They don't have the open spaces under the rails. They are flush to the roof. I believe the 2019 went back to the initial style similar to the 2015. 2016 / 18 Explorer Roof Racks - Totally Different

Peter

Yeah the rails them selves are different but im wondering if the slot for the molding at the front of the vehicle near the windshield will allow the parts listed above to fit.

I Purchased set screws to plug the holes and silicon sealer to cover the hole and threads as screw will not seat on anything. Then I plan to get some side trim to fill the slot. I will do a YouTube on the process once I do it. Cold weather is not the best time to do this.

Dumb question but who is going to get on a ladder to see the small imperfections?
That price is better than paying $148 from Ford IMHO!
I am missing the passenger side (R) and I don't like how the driver's side (L) is glued down.
I plan on finding some of that inexpensive trim and doing both sides using Permatex black silicone adhesive sealant [Part Number: 81158]

Back