2016 Explorer Remote Start Climate Behavior | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I got to thinking about this change with the 16+ remote start/climate control... and if it is POSSIBLY due to the emissions issues with the rear of the vehicle and preventing the system from drawing CO2 from the rear.... food for thought.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I tried today using the "Last setting" vs. "Automatic" in the left side vehicle controls and the front AND the rear were full blast as I had left them hours earlier. .... so there's hope.

When I use the remote start, it does not activate the A/C until I get in car and press the ignition. Is there a way to tell it to turn on the A/C too?

What is your setting in the left information display? It should be set to 'Auto'. That is covered in the Owner's Manual.
The heating and cooling work the same way. They come on at a low volume and don't turn on full until you get in and hit the 'Start' button. No way around that using the settings available.

Peter

When I use the remote start, it does not activate the A/C until I get in car and press the ignition. Is there a way to tell it to turn on the A/C too?
Your thread was merged with this one.

What is your setting in the left information display? It should be set to 'Auto'. That is covered in the Owner's Manual.
The heating and cooling work the same way. They come on at a low volume and don't turn on full until you get in and hit the 'Start' button. No way around that using the settings available.

Peter
OK thank you. But what good is remote start if you can't adjust the temp inside the car?

^ The other option is that you can set the vehicle to use the last settings that were in place before the car was turned off.

I tried the "last setting" option, set it to max a/c before I turned off car, and it worked! Sounds like a software bug to me.

I tried the "last setting" option, set it to max a/c before I turned off car, and it worked! Sounds like a software bug to me.
Just remember that using "Last Setting" will not however activate the following as indicated on page 136 of your Manual;
• Heated seats.
• Cooled seats.
• Heated steering wheel.
• Heated mirrors.
• Heated rear window.

Peter

Just remember that using "Last Setting" will not however activate the following as indicated on page 136 of your Manual;
• Heated seats.
• Cooled seats.
• Heated steering wheel.
• Heated mirrors.
• Heated rear window.

Peter
Here in Phoenix, we don't need any help with "heated" anything.... :) LOL but yeah once out of summer i would probably switch back to Auto
I also wait a few minutes after driving to turn on cooled seats.

How do you change to last setting option

I recently purchased a 2016 XLT and love it BUT I am experiencing the same situation and its driving me NUTS. Its getting cold here in Canada. Wether I leave the setting to Auto or to the Last setting when I get in my car that was remote started the vent speed is at its lowest and starts right up when I push the ignition.
Is this a known bug? If I bring it to the dealer can this be fixed?
thanks

I recently purchased a 2016 XLT and love it BUT I am experiencing the same situation and its driving me NUTS. Its getting cold here in Canada. Wether I leave the setting to Auto or to the Last setting when I get in my car that was remote started the vent speed is at its lowest and starts right up when I push the ignition.
thanks
That is normal in the 'Auto' setting,

Peter

thanks

LMAO, when I first got my EX around winter time and getting used to things, I initially though I was shutting the car off accidentally, as it goes from full blown hurricane speeds to whisper quiet.

Seriously I NEED HEAT!

Before you think it, I have read the owners manual twice but am still frustrated by the heat controls in my 16 EX. And to complicate matters, how it works with the remote start... I typically use the "auto" settings but have found that the defrost does not work when I need heat! I know Detroit is in a cold climate, why can't I have both operational? We have times when you need the defroster running while also trying to not freeze your you know what off. All I can get to happen is the defog on at the same time as the floor setting. What am I not getting (besides HEAT!)?? Also, when I use the remote start there is air blowing but it rarely actually defrosts the front window and when I get in and actually start it, none of my previous settings are on? wth? I have even changed the settings on the dash to "last setting" but it doesn't do anything different. Also, on a side note, what does "system" mean in the settings for the remote start? Mine is "checked".... Help I am freezing to death!

It has always been defrost only or defrost and floor. You have never been able to do defrost and face.

When set to Auto, it does what it needs to do to warm the vehicle up to the desired temp you ha e set.. it doesnt say "ill just defrost the window for a bit and then switch to whatever I want".

If you want it on defrost, put the defrost setting on before you shut the Ex off and when you remote start, it will do the last setting that was chosen.

And yes, when you get in from a remote start and "start" the vehicle essentially disabling/overriding the remote start, the HVAC system reboots itself esentially turning on from a key/fob start. It has been this way since 2011MY and all Ford vehicles with MFT/sync.

I agree the system is really not ideal. When you remote start the car and the car realizes its cold, it should put defrost to MAX. Regardless. I believe it does this but even after running for five minutes, when I get in, the fans are running very slowly. What good is that? It's not! So I have to sit there even longer after turning it to full blast to finally defrost the windows.

I think the problem is the car is just trying to warm up to say 74 degrees or so. A middle comfortable temperature. Is there a way to change this set temperature? I always get out with it around 80 or so but its not set to that when I get in after remote starting. I guess I could set it to perform last setting but with if I have it on my face and feet before getting out of the vehicle. Having it on the face and feet when I remote start in the morning is pointless and will not defrost any window.

The defrost and floor setting should provide heat. Don't forget that the fan will only come on full once the coolant/engine has warmed up. My vehicles have always been on defrost and floor and rarely if ever on the vents above the screen. I believe that I've read that if you leave it on 'Last Settings' that you will get the fan to run faster with remote start but then the other features that come on with the 'Auto' setting won't work. Remote start with the 'Auto' setting will engage more features but the fan will only pick up speed once you hit the Start/Stop button in Explorers that have that or turning the ignition ON.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seriously I NEED HEAT!
Your thread was moved to this one covering the same issue. See some of the earlier posts on this page. There are other threads about this issue as well that you can try and find with the Forum's 'Search' feature.

Peter

Back