Rear stabilizer bar bushings (19mm -> 23mm) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear stabilizer bar bushings (19mm -> 23mm)

Hacra

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nurmijärvi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 Eddie Bauer
Hey, i have encountered a bit of problem with bushing sizes, i am trying to find correct size bushings for rear stabilizer bar, i measured the stabilizer bar width (23mm or 0.90 in) and cannot find correct bushings from anywhere.

Any idea where i could source them from, picture below?

swaybar-bushing.jpg

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Unless you have replaced with an aftermarket or larger rear sway bar your 1997 should be 19mm (3/4"). How did you measure? Without a dial caliper a good method recommended by the linked Suspension.com site is using an adjustable crescent wrench or open ended spanner. Replacement polyurethane bushings will be much more durable than the OE thermoplastic rubber and improve handling, but will feel slightly firmer and have the tendency to squeak if not lubricated.

Rear Sway Bar-Endlink Bushings - 19 mm | Ford Explorer

Ford Explorer 4wd 1997 Suspension Parts

I used dial caliper (really cheap one), should be relatively accurate. But i'll take your word for it, since it _looks_ to be OEM, or atleast really old. Also if it doesn't fit, i could allways drill bigger hole to the bushing my self as long as the bushing fits otherwise well (this might be bad idea though).

Does RWD have same type bushings? for rockauto seems to have similar set available.

4_5153G_v1_20110912__ra_p.jpg

Your pic appears to be a stock rear sway bar and bushings. 19mm vs. 23mm is a big difference. Don't take MY word for it. If needed get under there and measure again with another device and method. No sense having to modify bushings when they are usually available in the correct size. Keep posted.

I use an expensive digital caliper (Harbor Freight $10), but a crescent wrench and a ruler is good enough for your purposes.

Went under the car to measure again, picture below

22-9.jpg

Edit: didn't have my other tools nearby, perhaps tomorrow morning i'll go and see if i can measure with other methods.

The car used to be auto leveling one, until i figured out the prices for new shocks, it quickly became load assist shock one (As you can see on the pictures).

Was going to suggest these, but 3-5/8" max bolt spacing is not long enough. Stock bracket bolt spacing is over 4 inches.
Universal Sway Bar Bushings 23mm (0.90 inch)

Afaik, i have couple options now, buy the 19mm kit, drill it to 23mm OR buy the universal set and say hello to trusty old MIG welder.

Edit: and once again thanks for all the help.

I'd say bore the 4.5153 polyurethane frame bushings to 23mm if you have the proper tools. Problem with these bushings is their shape and low profile. If you look at the entire catalog, no other bushings have the same profile. From past experience the stock brackets are MUCH heavier gauge and stronger than the universal brackets. Poly was tricky to work with when I milled my front end link bushings. Someone said to freeze them first, but I was afraid they would be too brittle and fracture. Keep us posted with your progress. Good luck.

Parts ordered, now to wait few days for them to fly over here, meanwhile, in case someone is interested, found website for polyurethane machining , decided to try out the 19mm variant and drill it to match, might have to freeze the urethane as mentioned above.

Also found various other 23mm polyurethane bushing for other cars which might work, will try to remember keep you guys posted.

Subscribed

@Hacra ,

Thanks for the link to the website.

Interesting reading there.

Okay, small update, still not finished, but managed to pull out the bushing bracket with hand tools (didn't have power tools available), was serious pita, 153k miles with road salt had done its magic on that most retarded washer thing ever invented in automotive history, also quite conveniently the shocks were on the way blocking proper access.

It's quite obvious the 19mm bushing is quite a bit smaller, but it's doable, width wise it works, might have to use few washers, also will definitely buy new bolts and remove that ford washer system.

Below some comparison pictures:

comparison1.jpg

comparison2.jpg

difference.jpg

Last image -> bracket with new bushing

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer Express had custom poly bushings for their 1-1/8" (28.5mm) "X-Spec" rear bar that fit the stock frame brackets.
Problem is they're long out of business to get info.
http://97vette.com/sporttrac/sway_bar/swaybar.html

Know what you mean about those extruded "u-nuts". Ditched them years ago with flange nuts and bolts with blue Loctite.
Still trying to find a solution for the rear end link upper bolts clipped to the frame with those easy to strip u-nuts @ 58 ft/lbs.

Front sway bar bushing brackets are even worse. They're four captured flag nuts inside the frame. Strip or break those and you're in for a real adventure. Really wonder how much time the factory is saving using those stupid fasteners. LOL

Back