My Explorer Sport Build | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer Sport Build

Nice video! For some reason there is no sound though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah I Made them with no sound. I think next time I will make with the sound. Sorry.

Well this morning we had snow here in Colorado Springs.
Snow 01.jpg

Yes I am up before the sun. My daughters Sport on the trailer right now and my Brother 75 Blazer behind my Sport. Was not a lot of snow but enough to have grass covered and some on the cars.

In your video I thought that might be a Dalmatian riding next to you but it was your fuzzy dice

In your video I thought that might be a Dalmatian riding next to you but it was your fuzzy dice

Yeah My Son bought them and he wanted them in my Explorer. So I have to have them in there. Oh Well its all good. I do not mind at all.

Been a while since I visited here, just got caught up....

When you do/if, go back to the 95 CAD axle, the 2 spade electrical connectors on the shift fork housing are for the 4wd hi/low dash lights. The stock wire harness goes back to the vac relays located behind the pass side headlight. The two vac line nipples are for the hard vac lines (do not use soft lines), that also go to the vac relays. The vac ball is inline with these. It keeps vac pressures a constant.

If you do want to lock it, do not weld them! Lock Rite makes a lunchbox locker for it. When doing this, another resource (besides Mgreens) is to follow JDrapers mod for the switch install. It works!

To wrap your head around this axle, and what makes it different, is it has an extra passenger side shaft (intermediate shaft) inside it. A simple splined collar slides and connects them together for 4wd. A fork sits around this collar, and it moves side to side about 1.5". When vac is applied to it, it moves the fork, and either connects, or disconnects those two shafts. Engine has to be running to create vacuum, for this to work.

There is one vac relay for each action. Each pull the fork one direction. So when switched on, the fork moves the collar outboard, and connects both splined ends together, creating one shaft from gears, to cv axles. When switched off, the fork moves the collar inboard, and the outer pass side shaft is free, and no power to the wheel. You must be stopped, and in N to engage this. Both inner & outer shafts have splines that slip into the splined collar. Stock has a safety feature, that makes you press the brake pedal for it to engage the shift fork. You don't want one side spinning faster then the other, trying to get them to connect together in the collar. This assures nothing is moving when they connect.

A 97+ live axle, there is no intermediate axle shaft, and there is always power to the front cv axles because of this. The 4405 t-case sends power when needed, by sensing slippage from the abs sensors. Power is increased in 10% increments, up to 50%. Sounds great right? Well, this action requires a magnet clutch set up, and these fail big time with age, and are generally weak sauce. Remember....Soccer Mom / Grocery getter was the intended buyer, not the off roader. 1354 manual case solves this with the 4.0L, and a 4406 for the 5.0L. Now you have true 2wd and true 4wd with these cases. With these cases, and the CAD, you will get increased MPG, the option of adding a locker, and full control of your vehicle. For anything else, I would only go as far to install a select-able LSD. Which, is actually great for light trails, and anything on the street. Not cheap tho.

Whatever you decide, just do not weld it. lol

Has anyone used these tires? Nankang Mud Star I just bought some for my explorer and it was a good price. Just wondering if anyone else has used them?

What I have done so far. Got 4 door leaf springs and installed them.

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport with the single leaf rear leaf spring. It sits low in the rear. How many leafs were in your new springs? Did it raise the rear end up to stock height or higher? How does it ride?
Thanks!
Dan-O

What I have done so far. Got 4 door leaf springs and installed them.

I have a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport with the single leaf rear leaf spring. It sits low in the rear. How many leafs were in your new springs? Did it raise the rear end up to stock height or higher? How does it ride?
Thanks!
Dan-O

It raised it about 1.75 to 2" give or take. When I got it she was not at stoke height. So honestly I can not say. It rides great. At first I just added the basted pack and it was to stiff. When I put the whole 4 door leaf pack in including main spring. The ride changed big time and it is much better. It rides As a normal sport but just a little taller. Hope this helped.

[QUOTE="Whatever you decide, just do not weld it. lol[/QUOTE]

Thanks Gmain for all the info and as for the Weld part I will not do it.

20181026_190348.jpg
Well got my tires mounted and put on my ex. With only a TT and a d
4 door leaf pack and no trimming got 32s under her.

My son said he had to be in the picture. Now to get them out on the trail to see how they are.

Explorer is looking good, Any other plans for it ?

At some point, give us an update on the tire performance. Those are the exact same tires that I have on my shopping list.
:burnout:

Explorer is looking good, Any other plans for it ?

As of right now now other plans. Got to get an oil leak fixed, rear bumper fixed and other minor things. Do not like spare tire in side rear compartment. As I go will post more pics.

As soon as I am able to get a report on the tires I will let you all know. Right now on the street they are pretty quiet not as loud as I thought they would be as aggressive as they are. They do tuck pretty good in the back though. I really can not wait to get her on the trailer. Here is a couple out side pics of her.
Non Flex shot
New  98 23.jpg

Here is a little bit of flexing. I know it is totally different on the trail.

New  98 22.jpg

New  98 21.jpg

The crazy thing up to 55 mph The Speedo is correct. I checked it with Ulysse Speedometer on my phone. So Yeah not sure what is going on there. I also measured the frame right at the Front rear Spring perch before and after install of the tires and I gained about 1.5 inches. So far I really like the look of my Ex.

Rig looks good man!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s really cool to see that Ex running and loved again! Good job!

Back