• Register Today It's free!

too much oil/ wrong dipstick ??

captainjack

Reaction score
City, State
Old Bridge, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Ltd. 4.0
I bought a used 2000 XLS with the OHV engine 2 years ago . According to the dipstick it was about 1 quart overfilled so I drained a little out and didn't give it another thought. I usually don't check the oil level because it is changed so often but after my last change at a chain shop I noticed it was overfilled again. The shop insists it got the correct amount-- 5 quarts with the filter but the stick reads high. The oil is very clean with no sign of contamination. The dipstick is marked F57E-6750-EB. I'm stumped and would appreciate any ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

it probably is a little overfilled.... the specs on most vehicles are for a dry engine, not one with remnant oil left in it..... so if the engine spec is 5 qts, and the shop added 5 quarts, you must figure there is now about 6 qts in the engine because not all the oil was drained out, the way the oil routes in the engine makes getting all that 5 qts out virtually impossible.....

I bought a used 2000 XLS with the OHV engine 2 years ago . According to the dipstick it was about 1 quart overfilled so I drained a little out and didn't give it another thought. I usually don't check the oil level because it is changed so often but after my last change at a chain shop I noticed it was overfilled again. The shop insists it got the correct amount-- 5 quarts with the filter but the stick reads high. The oil is very clean with no sign of contamination. The dipstick is marked F57E-6750-EB. I'm stumped and would appreciate any ideas.
I think I bought your 2000 Explorer in 09/17! It has the same dipstick and appears to have +2 qts. over the high-fill-mark from the selling dealer.

I'm stumped because Ford lists two different dipsticks: XL2Z-6750-CA & XL2Z-6750-DA for this model. Dorman sells their 917-368 (2000 XLS) which I've ordered and am waiting to use/register the level. From the Dorman product photos it appears I'll still be registering way higher than the high-fill-mark on the (old) current dipstick. It appears this was an old 1995 salvaged part...?

My only recourse is to drain the recent oil change, install a new filter, and refill it with 5 qts. of fresh oil, measuring very carefully! As jimbo74 replied to you earlier, this will probably be still overfilled due to the residual oil within the engine that can't be drained via the plug/pan.

I figure a slight overfill is still better than a gross overfill or a constant underfill. Hopefully the Dorman dipstick will at least put me in the "ball park" of where I should be?

Most likely the wrong dipstick. I had this situation on our first Explorer (01 SOHC XLT). Turned out someone stuck a V8 dipstick in the V6 engine. The first time I changed the oil I realized it was way overfilled. I refilled it with 5 qts and remarked the full line on the dipstick with a hammer and chisel.

Having too much oil in an engine is as dangerous as having too little.

Most likely the wrong dipstick. Turned out someone stuck a V8 dipstick in the V6 engine. The first time I changed the oil I realized it was way overfilled. I refilled it with 5 qts and remarked the full line on the dipstick with a hammer and chisel.

Having too much oil in an engine is as dangerous as having too little.
Indeed!

I came to the same conclusion. One of the prior 4-5 owners had the handle break off of the dipstick, they went to a junkyard and retrieved a 1995 6-cyl/4-liter Ford dipstick and the same has been present until my acquisition of the vehicle. Ford has TWO dipsticks that work in the 2000 Exp XLS; Dorman uses ONE for the same vehicles (makes sense!) The dipstick should arrive Fri. or Sat. and I'll see how much the oil level is high or low.

Question is: What practices the former owners used to gauge their oil? If they used the '95 levels, chances are the engine was starved for oil the whole time.

I believe the dealer I bought it from simply measured the oil pre-sales, resulting in the +2 qts. above "high" reading on the '95 dipstick.

just drain the oil next time and put four quarts in do not startengine pull the dipstick and mark for high start engine add one quart should read same

On the correct dip stick (after running the engine to fill the filter) 5 quarts should put the oil level right in the middle of the HI and LO marks.

Well, this is turning into a novel... The Dorman dipstick part arrived; flimsy construction. The Dorman dip is +3.875" LONGER than the old '95 dip. I have to force the Dorman into the oil tube to get it to bottom out at the collar. The Dorman registers 4-5 qts. above the HIGH mark! Back to Autozone for a refund on the Dorman.

I like koda2000's solution. As soon as my oil filter arrives (tomorrow?) i'll drain the oil, add 4.5 qts. and chisel the "FULL" mark on the old '95 dipstick. No more purchases of dipsticks from anyone!

Well, this is turning into a novel... The Dorman dipstick part arrived; flimsy construction. The Dorman dip is +3.875" LONGER than the old '95 dip. I have to force the Dorman into the oil tube to get it to bottom out at the collar. The Dorman registers 4-5 qts. above the HIGH mark! Back to Autozone for a refund on the Dorman.

I like koda2000's solution. As soon as my oil filter arrives (tomorrow?) i'll drain the oil, add 4.5 qts. and chisel the "FULL" mark on the old '95 dipstick. No more purchases of dipsticks from anyone!

Yeah, Dorman stuff is typically pretty crappy quality. I try to avoid them whenever I can. Get out the chisel.

I've found that after an oil change on mine the stick will read overfilled, drive it for awhile and check it again and it goes to the normal spot and stays there until next oil change, it mentioned this issue in the owner's manual. Also I found most accurate reading is when the "engine oil" can be read normally standing on the side and looking at the dip stick. it gets different readings if I don't put the stick in that way.

I've found that after an oil change on mine the stick will read overfilled, drive it for awhile and check it again and it goes to the normal spot and stays there until next oil change, it mentioned this issue in the owner's manual. Also I found most accurate reading is when the "engine oil" can be read normally standing on the side and looking at the dip stick. it gets different readings if I don't put the stick in that way.

There's really no reason to check your oil immediately after changing it. You know you drained it and put in the required 4.5-5 qts (I always put in the full 5 qt jug) how could it not be perfect? When I do check my oil I just do it on flat ground before starting the engine for the first time that day (no rag required). As long as it's between the HIGH and LOW marks good enough. If your oil reads slightly higher immediately after filling it, it's because your oil filter isn't filled yet. I check my oil levels about once a month.

Well...am I glad I was "tricked" into changing the oil "early"! Wrong (old) oil filter (leaking due to narrower/smaller gasket); mutilated drain plug (wrenches had chopped off/ rounded the hex); 5.5 qts. of swamp mud drained! I swear it didn't look that dirty on the dip stick! I've only put ~1.5k miles since buying it. I'm pretty sure the dealer told me they'd changed the oil/filter?

Is it possible for a 2000 Explorer XLS that runs "OK" to turn an oil change BLACK in 1.5k miles?

I added the 5 qt. jug of synthetic oil and the '95 dipstick registed a hair above the full mark (after a brief run to fill the new filter.) Much, much better.

No more drip leaks around the new filter/drain plug.

Changed the fuel filter too. Brown-colored residue dripped out the old filter when tipped. Probably never changed.

I managed to install one new spark plug/spark plug wire before darkness. I'm starting to feel like this vehicle might have some hope at 137k.

Make sure it isn't from a 2004.
I kept getting wrong parts by telling them I had a "2000 Ford". Somehow, this was translating as "2004 Ford".
I now say, "Ford, Explorer, 2000" and get the parts.
Weird, I know...

Oh, what prompted this comment was I got a replacement dipstick at the dealership, and he gave me one for 2004. It did not show the right oil level.

Make sure it isn't from a 2004.
I kept getting wrong parts by telling them I had a "2000 Ford". Somehow, this was translating as "2004 Ford".
I now say, "Ford, Explorer, 2000" and get the parts.
Weird, I know...

Oh, what prompted this comment was I got a replacement dipstick at the dealership, and he gave me one for 2004. It did not show the right oil level.

Ha. I've had the same problem at the auto parts store. I've learned to speak very clearly when having them look up parts, though with the internet I usually know the part number I want before I ever enter the store.

I know this thread is really old but I just noticed that the dipstick on my 2000 OHV is also marked f57e-6750-eb. I wonder if I’ve had the wrong amount of oil this whole time. I can’t find a reference to the original part anywhere.

95-01 Explorer all 3 engines
5.0 quarts with oil filter change
Use Motocraft filters

Who needs a dipstick at time of change? I only use the dipstick between changes!
There are numerous different dipsticks for our engines unfortunately. The 5.0L V8 had at least 3 different dipsticks 96-01

I just do like everyone else, get a good used dipstick, cut it and mark it to read properly doing a 5 quart oil change, Let engine run, let sit, then pull stick and adjust length and or mark oil levels
Lokar makes aftermarket dipsticks that work okay, better than Dorman. I prefer stock Ford when I can.......

95-01 Explorer all 3 engines
5.0 quarts with oil filter change
Use Motocraft filters

Who needs a dipstick at time of change? I only use the dipstick between changes!
There are numerous different dipsticks for our engines unfortunately. The 5.0L V8 had at least 3 different dipsticks 96-01

I just do like everyone else, get a good used dipstick, cut it and mark it to read properly doing a 5 quart oil change, Let engine run, let sit, then pull stick and adjust length and or mark oil levels
Lokar makes aftermarket dipsticks that work okay, better than Dorman. I prefer stock Ford when I can.......

I’ve always added 4.5 quarts after an oil change since there’s still oil in the engine after the drain. I’ll have to ask my mechanic if his Ford cds show an official part number for my truck.

They are designed to take the full 5 quarts, even with the minimal oil left after the change.

Agreed, 5 qts and that will show a 1/2 qt low on the correct dipstick (right in the center between the 2 holes). Our first Job 1 SOHC had the wrong dipstick. One from a V8 IIRC, and it would show 1 qt overfilled after adding 5 qts, so I just remarked the dipstick with a chisel. I prefer to add another 1/2 qt to bring the oil level to the max mark to allow for oil burning/leaking over the oil change interval. It doesn't hurt anything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run 5.5 in my BII because the oil filter is remote mounted.
Having 1/2 quart or so of extra oil is not going to hurt anything, these systems are designed for the masses
I always get my engine warm and let the oil drain for a long long time, hours not minutes....forget quick oil changes, I like to take my time

Back