Pre Oiler to save timing chain guides? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pre Oiler to save timing chain guides?

That's a less complicated (no piston) accumulator. One advantage is that the Schrader valve allows for draining the dirty oil in the accumulator during an oil change. But since that releases the pressure a "dry start" is required at every oil change. With a motorized pump there is no accumulator so all of the oil can be drained from the pan and then the system pressurized before engine start. Since the Insta-Lube accumulator has no piston, useable accumulated oil is reduced when the tank is not vertical. If the tank is horizontal only half of the capacity is available for pre-lubing. Also, since oil is basically incompressible, a portion of the tank must always contain compressible air or the system will not work. That further reduces the volume of oil that can be delivered to the engine prior to start.
Is it similar to your accusump system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it similar to your accusump system?
Yes. My accusump has a piston that separates the oil from the air in the tank which allows the tank to be mounted horizontally. There is a Schrader valve on the air side of the tank to adjust the air pressure without any oil pressure. I suspect that over the years some oil has seeped past the piston and accumulated in the air side. However, since installation I have not drained or recharged the air side and have noticed no significant difference in pre-lubing effectiveness. With my 3 quart volume tank it takes several minutes from key on/open solenoid for pressure to drop low enough to deactivate the 5 psi oil pressure switch that controls the oil pressure "gauge" on the instrument cluster. I do that when I want to perform a complete oil change.
Another thing I like about an electric pump pre-lube system is being able to pressurize the engine oil lubrication system prior to engine start after an engine rebuild. My DOHC V8 rebuild was started more than a year ago and won't be complete any time soon. But it will never be cranked before all rotating surfaces are fully lubricated under pressure. My marine engine pre-lube system has good flow at pressure. However, it is larger and draws more current than a smaller pump which should be adequate for timing chain/bearing pre-lube if a person is willing to wait a few more seconds for the oil pressure "gauge" to reflect oil pressure presence.

Yes. My accusump has a piston that separates the oil from the air in the tank which allows the tank to be mounted horizontally. There is a Schrader valve on the air side of the tank to adjust the air pressure without any oil pressure. I suspect that over the years some oil has seeped past the piston and accumulated in the air side. However, since installation I have not drained or recharged the air side and have noticed no significant difference in pre-lubing effectiveness. With my 3 quart volume tank it takes several minutes from key on/open solenoid for pressure to drop low enough to deactivate the 5 psi oil pressure switch that controls the oil pressure "gauge" on the instrument cluster. I do that when I want to perform a complete oil change.
Another thing I like about an electric pump pre-lube system is being able to pressurize the engine oil lubrication system prior to engine start after an engine rebuild. My DOHC V8 rebuild was started more than a year ago and won't be complete any time soon. But it will never be cranked before all rotating surfaces are fully lubricated under pressure. My marine engine pre-lube system has good flow at pressure. However, it is larger and draws more current than a smaller pump which should be adequate for timing chain/bearing pre-lube if a person is willing to wait a few more seconds for the oil pressure "gauge" to reflect oil pressure presence.
I get it now..i could of searched the web for hours and not gained a fraction of what you have explained. Im really trying to figure what system to install on a budget. I have a 05 sport trac and have drove it 90 miles since i bought it 4 months ago because of the start-up rattle..the insta lube seems cheap..accusump seems logical but expensive..ii wish i could find a electric motor type kit complete..Thanks streetrod

I did order the Derale D25770 but not from e-trailer where I linked to. After inspection of the sandwich I am 99% sure it does not flow filtered oil. What I am planning to do after oil changes is pull the fuse for the ignition and turn the motor over with the starter until pressure is built up and then reconnect the ignition. This isn't the best solution but will be much better than a dry start where the motor takes over before oil pressure is up.

FYI: You don't need to pull the fuse. Just press the accelerator pedal to the floor and hold it there while cranking, The engine will not start until you lift your foot. Flooring it turns of the injectors.

Hi there, here GP Argie.
I've just purchased a 100 thousand miles well kept 1999 XLT Limited with the SOHC engine but not rattle at all but wanted to add a pre-oiler kit as a preventive action.
Did anybody tried the Insta-lube kit...???
What kind of sandwich adapter did you used...???

If the Accusump is connected there the oil pressure gauge will immediately register even if the oil has not yet traveled to the cassette hydraulic tensioners. The best location for the Accusump connection is at the oil filter.

I have this system you can mount it in any position it comes with the fittings and a smaller hose to put inside the tank so it can be mounted in just about any position

I used the oil port worked fine my old engine rattled on startup every time on the back passenger side tensioner as soon as the gauge goes up ...2 sec start up with no rattles I have been using this for 4years without any problems
The air in the tank when you first install it is enough air no need to add any more

As far as the sandwich adaptor I bought one it's in the box

Ever seen a sprinkler system turn on
Does the sprinkler closest to the supply of water
Spray first ...no they all equally spray at the same time so when the gauge goes up there is pressure on the whole engine if some oil galleys are empty the air in it will be easily pushed out way be for the oil pressure sending unit can be overcome it's like 5-7 psi I have heard this theory before it's just that half the engine can't have pressure and not the other half the oil will just flow fill up all the galleys then pressurize

IMG_20180411_1118236_rewind.jpg

I have 60 psi build in the tank one quart

BTW - Some SOHC's have an SAE oil filter nipple and some have a metric nipple. If you engine takes a FLA1 filter it's SAE and if it uses an FL820S filter it's metric. This will make a difference on which sandwich adapter you use.

Birdy you are correct in the oil change intervals. Take a look at photo on page one. Engine is sludged. Most youtube videos also show sludged engines with timing chain issues. The hydraulic tensioners that screw into the engine have small oil feed holes that can plug rendering them usless. I change my oil and filter every 3,000 miles and looking inside oil fill cap it is super clean. I have 73,000 miles on my 2010 Mountaineer 4.0. Not saying this is all that is needed to keep chains alive but it sure does not hurt and I believe it most definitely helps. Still not one of Ford's better ideas.

I have this system you can mount it in any position it comes with the fittings and a smaller hose to put inside the tank so it can be mounted in just about any position

I used the oil port worked fine my old engine rattled on startup every time on the back passenger side tensioner as soon as the gauge goes up ...2 sec start up with no rattles I have been using this for 4years without any problems
The air in the tank when you first install it is enough air no need to add any more

As far as the sandwich adaptor I bought one it's in the box

Ever seen a sprinkler system turn on
Does the sprinkler closest to the supply of water
Spray first ...no they all equally spray at the same time so when the gauge goes up there is pressure on the whole engine if some oil galleys are empty the air in it will be easily pushed out way be for the oil pressure sending unit can be overcome it's like 5-7 psi I have heard this theory before it's just that half the engine can't have pressure and not the other half the oil will just flow fill up all the galleys then pressurize

View attachment 165043

I have 60 psi build in the tank one quart

Hi there Donald, thank you for your soon reply.
From the oicture you attached I'm assuming you installed the tank under the ABS system on the driver side using the oil sensor port to access the engine block... Is this correct...???
As I'm now in the subway heading to work, I've no access to my Explo right now.

Kind regards from the Southern Hemisphere...
Gabriel

Hi there Donald, thank you for your soon reply.
From the oicture you attached I'm assuming you installed the tank under the ABS system on the driver side using the oil sensor port to access the engine block... Is this correct...???
As I'm now in the subway heading to work, I've no access to my Explo right now.

Kind regards from the Southern Hemisphere...
Gabriel
Yep you nailed it set it up so when I turn the key it will activate takes 2 seconds for the gauge to go up then start the truck I put some convoluted tubing on the hose to protect it
But the kit came with everything to install it everything

Yep you nailed it set it up so when I turn the key it will activate takes 2 seconds for the gauge to go up then start the truck I put some convoluted tubing on the hose to protect it
But the kit came with everything to install it everything

One more question,
The Insta-Lube guys recommended the A-Kit will just work fine (My Explo has a V6 4.0 SOHC engine).

Which kit did you choose to install...???

Thanks for your support.

Cheers from the South Pole.

One more question,
The Insta-Lube guys recommended the A-Kit will just work fine (My Explo has a V6 4.0 SOHC engine).

Which kit did you choose to install...???

Thanks for your support.

Cheers from the South Pole.
Kit A is the one I bought

Any questions just ask any pics just ask

Here it is in action

Wow... Thanks for the video...
I've already purchased the Kit, ... just waiting the shipping to Argentina...
I'm planning to install it on next oil change.

Back