Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only) | Page 26 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Remote Start Facts (2011 - 2015 only)

As others have said, read the first post of this entire thread. Your 2014 EX more than likely already had the base system installed especially if you have the hood switch. I just did this to my 2013 XLT. Purchased an ELM327 ($17) USB corded device that I plugged into my Windows notebook and ran the program FORSCAN from forscan.org. changed a few settings and bang, Remote start is enabled on my 2013 EX. Bought two 5 button keys from Amazone for about $55. Had them cut at a local hardware store for $6.50 and then programed the two new keys myself (instructions in this thread and in the owners manual). You must, however, have two OEM keys for your truck. If not you need to go to the dealer and try to convince them to enable remote start on your truck via IDS. They will try to charge you $500 to install OEM remote start on your truck (don't ask me how I know), but if you have two OEM keys and you read through this thread, you should have no problem doing it. Mine works like a charm especially now that we are getting 6-8 inches of the white stuff here in NJ. Good luck.

do you have amazon link for keys? thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how do i know if i have power lift gate? i have 2013 xlt

how do i know if i have power lift gate? i have 2013 xlt
You would have a button on the dash, a key fob with the 2X button on it and an option in your left information display to turn it ON or OFF. Also, when the 'gate' is open, there would be a button on the left underside that will close it automatically.

Peter

I enabled remote start on my 2013xlt with no issues, using it with 4-button IKT. I want to extended range with antenna and one-way remote start, both remotes (4-button and one-way) will work, right?

thanks

T

Additional Information - North American FOBs operate on 315mhz and Export units operate on 433mhz. The TPM (Tire Pressure Monitoring) receiver is the receiver for the FOBs and in the Explorer is at the rear and bottom of the center console.

How can i find out, if i have a 315mhz or a 433mhz system?
I´m from Germany, but my Explorer isn´t a real export car, was first used in Texas.

How can i find out, if i have a 315mhz or a 433mhz system?
I´m from Germany, but my Explorer isn´t a real export car, was first used in Texas.
If it was built for the North America market it should be 315MHz. Not sure how can confirm it. This site should have the info but you would have to create an account to access. FordEtis home page

Peter

found it. 315mhz. Thank you
btw: not the topic for this thread, but fiund also in ETIS, what means that?:
  • (-) GVMT Service Administration
  • (-)"CDN"
  • (-) "Vanuatu"
  • (-)"GU"
  • (-)"BRN"
  • (-)"BZ"
  • (-) "AL"
  • (-)"ATG"
  • (-)"CHN"
  • (-)"AW"

HI,
it works great in Germany with the OEM 315Mhz Keys.... (since, I think, 1,5 years :))

With the "cheap" ones, it worked too.... but I got a error message at every "normal start" from the car (it worked, but the yellow info looks not good :))
So I recommend you to "take" the more money.... I think its worth it.....

thank you for replies ..
how do u install this antenna Ford Upgradable Remote Start Antenna Kit Bi-Directional DL3Z-15603-C Factory | eBay

ford explorer 2013 xlt, i enabled remote start but works like crap, figured i can have more range with this, got one way fob as well
Normal OEM remote start should have an approximate range of 300'. As for how to install the linked antenna, I'm guessing the instructions are included in the manual (shown in picture) that comes with it.

Peter

So I got a key from eBay (5 button key) and had ford cut it yesterday but try to program it and it won’t let me....doesn’t give me the option to create a mykey. Says the truck already has 3 mykeys. Should I delete them and start again? Or get a “real” key from ford....maybe because it’s an eBay key? Thanks for your help.

Jason,
Hoping you can help with yet another guy having remote start issues.

I just got around to trying to enable remote start on my wife's explorer.

I have three keys. All programmed to lock and unlock. One is the four button with the 2x, supposed genuine Ford key with Ford logo.

Using forscan with a elm327 wifi adapter, under both body control modules, there is no option for enabling remote start option.

I was just wondering if there was something I'm missing or if I truly have the first vehicle shipped without the option.

I had it at the dealer as well to verify I was wrong but they seemed reluctant to even check for me. After normal vehicle service, I inquired if they had checked for me and they assured me it wasn't an option for me.

Any help you could be would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance- Drew

IDS will enable remote start on your 11 XLT. The dealer just isn't knowledgeable.

Being a licensed holder of IDS I will not give support for program(s) developed in violation of it's copyright rules/agreement:

3. LIMITATION ON REVERSE ENGINEERING, DECOMPILATION, AND DISASSEMBLY.
YOU may not reverse engineer, decompile, attempt to derive the source code of,
modify, disassemble, or create derivative works using the Product or any update or
part thereof, except and only to the extent that it is expressly permitted by
applicable law not withstanding this limitation. Disassembly includes, but is not
limited to data mining and use of robots or other automated data gathering and
extraction techniques and methods.

8. COPYRIGHT.
The Product is protected by copyright and other intellectual property laws and
treaties.
FORD or its suppliers own the title, copyright, and other intellectual

Anyone in metro area Detroit have a dealer or someone enable this for them? East side would be nice...

Jason,
Hoping you can help with yet another guy having remote start issues.

I just got around to trying to enable remote start on my wife's explorer.

I have three keys. All programmed to lock and unlock. One is the four button with the 2x, supposed genuine Ford key with Ford logo.

Using forscan with a elm327 wifi adapter, under both body control modules, there is no option for enabling remote start option.

I was just wondering if there was something I'm missing or if I truly have the first vehicle shipped without the option.

I had it at the dealer as well to verify I was wrong but they seemed reluctant to even check for me. After normal vehicle service, I inquired if they had checked for me and they assured me it wasn't an option for me.

Any help you could be would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance- Drew

Drew, is this your first time using Forscan? If so go to forscan.org and go through the tutorial info. I couldn’t find it either at first. Just a thought

I am looking to buy a key and the place I found sells the 5 button key for the explorer and not the 4 button (they sell that for the F-150). My question is will the 5 button one work for the remote start if I don't have a remote tailgate lift and the remote has it or should it get the F-150 key? Or will either work?
Also, if I already have 4 keys programmed in the car, can I add a new one and it will delete one of the old.ones using the owners manual instructions? Or do I need to get all codes erased and then the dealer program 2 keys first? My wife has lost a couple keys and luckily I always had 3 so I still had 2 keys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I had the "dealer" enable the remote start today & cut the keys, overall it was a pretty smooth operation, money wise this has cost a fair bit of coin. I guess over the next few weeks, I will see if going with the "factory" option was the best? & most cost effective? A quick observation is that the range (300ft) is quite poor, it's about a 1/4 of that, or less. The actual activation seems clumsy and slow, meaning you have to activate the FOB buttons several times to get the vehicle to start. I also lost the activation of the lights flashing to let me know the vehicle is locked? kinda of a PIA , since you have to lock the vehicle before you attempt to start it?

Back