blinking red theft light in 1997 ford explorer - I thought PATS was 1998? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

blinking red theft light in 1997 ford explorer - I thought PATS was 1998?

ELeBlanc

Reaction score
City, State
brooklyn, ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer
The key is not a chip key or at least I say that because it is very thn.
When the car is off, the theft text in the dashboard is a normal slow red blink and is not preventing the car from starting. After the car sits for a while the theft text is off.
But nonetheless, I thought there was not PATS in Explorers until 1998 so WHAT IS THIS?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2nd gen Anti Theft started in 95.

It is not the same as PATS, as it is just an alarm. It is disabled by the key fob, entering the 4 digit code in the door, or turning the key in the ignition.

Thanks - both good news and bad.

Bad - I don't have the key fob or know the combination.
Good - let me go make many copies of the one key I have...

There is a thread here somewhere telling how to find the keypad combo in the dr side rear cargo behind the panel, if you want to have it.

I think I saw that one today or yesterday because I remember thinking that back by the rear hatch was a weird place. Now that's not saying I'll be able to find it again.

So if I find the keypad what can I do not knowing the number?

Oh.... Well if you don't see the keypad on the Dr door, then you just don't have one. Not all of them did. The number is what you find in the back, not the keypad.

I think you can go to a dealer and get a new keyfob using your VIN # showing them the title.

Oh.... Well if you don't see the keypad on the Dr door, then you just don't have one. Not all of them did. The number is what you find in the back, not the keypad.

I think you can go to a dealer and get a new keyfob using your VIN # showing them the title.

So are you saying the number I might find in the back is the door combination or some other number I could enter if, inside the vehicle, I find a numeric keypad somewhere in the vicinity of the driver door?

Oh - thanks for the help!

Sort of. Yes, the code for the keypad, is in the back on a sticker.

The keypads are on the outside of the door, and around 5" long with a series of digits on them. Can't miss them, plain as day.

door keypad.jpg

Sort of. Yes, the code for the keypad, is in the back on a sticker.

The keypads are on the outside of the door, and around 5" long with a series of digits on them. Can't miss them, plain as day.

View attachment 165854

I thought I was looking for a keypad on the interior. Got it.
So when I remove that plastic piece all the way in the driver's back I'm looking for some piece of paper in their with around for or 5 digits - right?

The code is on top of the RAP module. It's kinda difficult to see with the interior panel in the way, but you can maybe use an inspection mirror or pry the interior panel out some to read it.

index.php

Also check in your Owner's manual pack, mine had a card in it that had the keypad code on it... but it is a '98 with the keypad on the driver's door too.

No PATS in '97. Theft light blinking really doesn't mean anything. The '97 alarm (horn beeping) is controlled by hood and door switches. That's why you don't have/need RF chipped keys for a '97.

The door keypad and remotes are controlled through the RAP (vehicle personality) module, which is the box located in the front section in the cargo jack storage area. If there's a sticker with a 5 digit number on the RAP module, it's meaningless if you don't have the exterior key pad on the driver's door. You may be able to add key fob remotes if you have RAP module (the lowest trim level models don't even have a RAP module) but the '97 remote fobs are different from the 98-01 fobs and are not interchangeable, they are also harder to find and cost more. Programming key fobs does not require any information from the number on the RAP module. It is a procedure outlined in your owner's manual.

Search eBay for '97 Explorer remote key fob.

Back