Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford offers free repairs to 1.4 Million Explorers - Exhaust

Had an appointment dropped off at 700 am on tuesday, promised back by wed or thu, but got vehicle at Friday 1:00 PM. Was told 2 day delay was because of christmas rush. I understand about the loaner without ESP - talked to the salesperson (who had promised me the world at the time of purchase, including after sales service) - but unfortunately it was out of his hands he said, there were plenty of loaners available at this high volume dealer but apparently they do not want my future business, had to pay 150 for 3 days rental car from enterprise. Ford should have the decency to provide you with a free loaner for fixing a design flaw present since 2011. what a greedy company.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the question is....I have a june manufactured 2018. Have they addressed it already during manufacturing? Or is it something they only will do as an afterthought?

So the question is....I have a june manufactured 2018. Have they addressed it already during manufacturing? Or is it something they only will do as an afterthought?

The official Ford memo to dealers is that vehicles that were affected by this (and by extension, are covered to be repaired) are ones manufactured from 2011 Job 1 to 2017 Job Last in Ford's Chicago plant.

Any vehicle affected will be flagged in OASIS (which any dealer can check in about a minute or so) - you might even be able to check on owner.ford.com. This should also come up on a carfax report for your vehicle (it did for mine).

Yours should be fine, but doesn't hurt to check.

I had the rework done, and my hvac reprogrammed but now when I use my remote start my seats and rear defogger stays on even after I get in the car and press the on button, before they would turn off. ANY IDEA of a fix as took it back to ford and no luck yet.

I had the rework done, and my hvac reprogrammed but now when I use my remote start my seats and rear defogger stays on even after I get in the car and press the ON button, before they would turn OFF. ANY IDEA of a fix as took it back to ford and no luck yet.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Yours is the first such report I've seen regarding that issue.

Peter

I had the rework done, and my hvac reprogrammed but now when I use my remote start my seats and rear defogger stays on even after I get in the car and press the on button, before they would turn off. ANY IDEA of a fix as took it back to ford and no luck yet.
Yup, that's part of the HVAC reprogramming on 2016 and lower models, in which I opted not to have that feature enabled.

Saw this article in a news story in MSN, and now remember why I gave up on Ford fixing the exhaust odor in the cabin:

The worst inventions of all time

Ford Pinto
The Ford Pinto occupies a special place in the bad car design hall of infamy. The rear-mounted gas tanks of the 1971 to 1976 models were prone to leaking and exploding when struck from behind, even with weak force.
Rather than fix the problem, Ford did a cost-benefit analysis and decided it was cheaper to simply pay out severe injury claims.

Saw this article in a news story in MSN, and now remember why I gave up on Ford fixing the exhaust odor in the cabin:

The worst inventions of all time

Ford Pinto
The Ford Pinto occupies a special place in the bad car design hall of infamy. The rear-mounted gas tanks of the 1971 to 1976 models were prone to leaking and exploding when struck from behind, even with weak force.
Rather than fix the problem, Ford did a cost-benefit analysis and decided it was cheaper to simply pay out severe injury claims.
So its ONLY Ford that has issues correctly fixing problems??? EVERY Car manufacturer has issues fixing problems. Its not that easy sometimes.

Also, EVERY recall has a cost of recall vs payout analysis. That’s standard operating procedure.

The Pinto was a bad design. Ford should have known better.

The odor issue had been known about for some time, it should have been addressed.

So its ONLY Ford that has issues correctly fixing problems??? EVERY Car manufacturer has issues fixing problems. Its not that easy sometimes.
No, Ford is the only manufacture with similar quality problems across their entire fleet of vehicles...LOL

I just received another letter about the smell and possible CO in the cabin. I haven't smelled or noticed any issue so I am opting not to have them mess around with my EX.

Well CO can't be smelt or seen, so it certainly wouldn't hurt to have the recall done.

I am not having them reprogram my HVAC and pull the panels off my EX for an issue that I don't have.

I am not having them reprogram my HVAC and pull the panels off my EX for an issue that I don't have.
I'm not having mine done either.

Peter

If you're not complaining about the smell, they won't pull the panel nor re-program your HVAC.
When I had the EX in for a PTU replacement, the dealership went ahead and performed the basic TSB, which was adding aluminum tape to the underside of the bumper and replaced the drain hole plugs.

I had this 17N03 done at the dealer a few weeks ago. I told the service guy that I wanted it done even though I have never noticed any issues. He said most of the ones they've worked on with actual complaints were PIU's. He did say some civilian explorers had complaint/issues. They reprogrammed the HVAC module and did some other stuff to it. I saw something about valves on the ticket but didn't pay much attention. I'll have to check out the liftgate seal etc when the wife gets home.

If you're not complaining about the smell, they won't pull the panel nor re-program your HVAC.
When I had the EX in for a PTU replacement, the dealership went ahead and performed the basic TSB, which was adding aluminum tape to the underside of the bumper and replaced the drain hole plugs.

Must be a dealer thing. Mine did the re-program even though I told them I had no issues with it.

Could anyone suggest a reliable, accurate CO monitor I can place inside my 2014 Explorer Ltd?. I am skeptical about the issue but at the same time dont want to take any chances. Most important, i want to make sure the CO monitor device is not bull sh.. me and giving false results.

Being colorless and odorless, we cant rely on our senses such as "smell" to detect presence of CO. Just because we cant smell exhaust fumes doesnt mean it isnt there. This makes it all the more important that every one of us buy and install a CO detector to be absolutely sure. My vehicle has a 110V socket, I am wondering if it can power a standard 110V home CO detector. I think the 110V detectors are a bit more mature and more reliable. The one we stick into the cigarette lighter socket, am skeptical of them working right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back