Just put a deposit down on an 06 Eddie Bauer. What should I know? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just put a deposit down on an 06 Eddie Bauer. What should I know?

dhmnuts

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer AWD
For the most part growing up my family has always owned explorers. Just put a deposit down on an 06 Eddie Bauer with 130k miles on it. What should I be aware of before I pick up the vehicle Saturday?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well with a little reading all the common problems are on here. V8 is definately the better of the two engines just have to watch out for the sparkplugs. Wheel bearings very common and broken exhaust studs. There are other things but I cant think of them now.

Well with a little reading all the common problems are on here. V8 is definately the better of the two engines just have to watch out for the sparkplugs. Wheel bearings very common and broken exhaust studs. There are other things but I cant think of them now.
Are the wheel bearings you have to press out or can you just replace the whole wheel assembly?

Front is whole assembly, rears need to be pressed out of the knuckle.

Unless you live someplace where you get zero rust ever, the front wheelbearings are the hardest wheel bearing job you will ever do....I just did both of mine, after much cussing and hammering, I ended up pulling the knuckles off and bringing them into my work where I finally was able to remove the bearing/hub assembly with a 20 ton hydraulic press....

As for your truck, the V8 is definitely the way to go.

Another common problem is the Blend Door Actuator. I understand that replacing the front actuator is fairly easy, whereas I have the entire rear cargo area of my 07 Exp torn apart right now waiting for the rear actuator to come in.

Oh yeah, and don't forget resoldering the four diodes on the rear of the stereo faceplate when your display fades to invisibility over time.

All easy jobs, but they do surface some time during ownership.

Congratulations on your "new" EB.

Some of the most common issues with this year of Explorer have already been mentioned.
Exhaust manifold broken studs, #1 cylinder passenger side because of the shock tower.
Radiators are common to leak and are easy to check by checking underneath and looking for signs of white powder like substance. Third row passenger seat, mostly drivers side. Hopefully you will have a maintenance record or Carfax to determine service of the transmission. Messy job, but very doable if you are so inclined. Don't flush transmission. Updates to the GPS are expensive when buying at the dealer, but avoid buying an update on Ebay. They usually don't work. These are great cars, enjoy and good luck.

Back