• Register Today It's free!

Hood latch issue

The Rake

Reaction score
City, State
Vale, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer Base
Hello. I have a 98 mountaineer that the hood won’t shut. I found a new release cable easy enough on amazon and it’s on the way but having trouble finding a latch assembly. Any idea’s??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mark it take it off and clean the s$#t out of it re lube work it a few times then install
Or a junk yard

Yes I'd do as donalds suggested, but as far as I can tell the part # for that is F87Z-16700-AA which should allow you to find it on ebay or the various Ford parts sites. New it's close to $90.

If the hood latch is free/lubed and the spring is intact, it might be that the adjustable hood stops are screwed out to far (or broken).

If they're screwed out to far the hood will not latch or unlatch easily. If one is broken it can also prevent the hood from latching due to misalignment. These conditions can also put a lot of stress on the release cable, causing it to snap or bend the metal bracket under the dash, which prevents it from working.

Thank you all for the response and I will do as you suggest and take it off clean it up etc. I’m not gonna replace it for a new one that’s for sure. Bought this rig a year ago because it had under a 100,000 miles but since then I have put less then 3000 miles on it and have to spend over a grand in new little parts here and there. Has a great strong motor but the rest has become a money pit. Thanks again.
Hello. I have a 98 mountaineer that the hood won’t shut. I found a new release cable easy enough on amazon and it’s on the way but having trouble finding a latch assembly. Any idea’s??

put less then 3000 miles on it and have to spend over a grand in new little parts here and there. Has a great strong motor but the rest has become a money pit.
These trucks are 20+ years old it will take some up keep you have to love the truck to keep it up
Or just buy a Honda civic hahaha :)

I think I might have a 98+ latch I pulled from a junkyard along with the hood catch if you get desperate...

I agree with donalds... I am always fixing something. I still can't get my windshield wipers to work AND I bought a Honda Civic! haha

It's probably still a good investment. I got my truck for free and have about $1000 to $1200 in it. I met a guy a last week at AutoZone who bought his for $2000 SEVEN YEARS AGO! Sounds like a great investment to me! No car payment and just the occasional money thrown at an old truck to keep it on the road sounds really nice!

I'm down to 2 '01 Explorers and 1 '00 Mountaineer. It seems there is always something needing attention. Most things are fairly minor and easily addressed. I do 99% of my own repairs and I'm not opposed to using good used parts where it makes sense. I really enjoy the satisfaction I get out of fixing my own vehicles (and living on a fixed income saving money).

I find the V8 Gen II Explorers/Mountaineers to be great value, very reliable, generally easy to work on and parts are inexpensive. Though if I had to pay someone to work on them it wouldn't be worth it.

If a 20 + year old vehicle is your only form of transportation it really helps to have a spare as there will be downtime.

Back