List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 51 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Glad I found this site. I purchased a used 2011 Ford Explorer about 5 years ago. The Hood started peeling last summer and is pretty bad along the edge. Is this something that is still under warranty, I have about 82500 miles.

Not on a 7-8 year old vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[QUOTE="17 Sport, post: 3732613, member: 330182"
]
EC75F6B0-48F5-49CA-82E6-4AEC44341645_zpsjqpd7kla.jpg

Dealer replaced the hood and provided a loaner for the week with no hassle. I am satisfied

That was pretty quick to get it replaced in less than 3 weeks. Ford must be making more hoods to put in their inventory/distribution chain. On my 2015 it took Ford almost 4 weeks to get a new hood to my Dealer last January/February, then another week for the Dealer to paint/replace.

I had this issue with my 16. I had 38k miles and Ford covered the full replacement this summer. My service manager had to push hard, but they got it done.

I had this issue with my 16. I had 38k miles and Ford covered the full replacement this summer. My service manager had to push hard, but they got it done.
Not sure why it was so difficult. It is covered for 5 years, unlimited mileage. Glad it was fixed.

Peter

I know. I even scanned that passage from the warranty book to show them.

I have a 2013 Ford explorer xlt with 49,000 miles, so its no longer under warranty. I have the galvanic corrosion on the front hood, and have had it for a while but did not realize what was happening. I also have a leaking liftgate/roof that I am taking tomorrow for a third go at repair, luckily by a body shop that stands behind their work. Both of these are known issues (see above!) with the explorers from that period. I spoke to the ford "seal guy" at the dealership after my first leak in july 2018, and he told me that the weld was degrading, it was a known problem, and that I would have to have it repaired by a body shop. He also suggested I sell the car.

When I tried to open a case number with ford, I was treated like dirt by the regional rep and my case was closed immediately because my car was not at the dealership when I opened the case - it was shocking. I was referred by my body shop to the service manager at the ford dealership from whom I bought the car and where all of the service has been done. He was unhappy and apologetic about my complaint experience, said that the car did not need to be at the dealership, offered to help, and has done nothing despite many phone calls since October of 2018. He also confirmed, by the way, that ford does indeed score their customers.

I am getting ready to try to escalate my problems - to whom I don't know - but am wondering if its worth the effort? I am pretty shocked and disheartened by what I have read on the forum since discovering it this afternoon. Any suggestions would be welcome!

Welcome to the Forum:wave:
Your post was moved to this thread.
I'm not sure who would escalate the issue to other than Ford if the Regional Customer Service Manager will not help. In any case, I'm quite sure that you are out of luck getting Ford to cover any part of the hood repair. It seems the best way to get around this problem is with a new hood. A repaired and repainted hood may be good in the short term. The 2016+ Explorers now have 5 years unlimited mileage coverage for aluminum panels.
As for the water leak, please post any further issues in the Water Leak thread; Water Leak
Thank you and good luck.

Peter

I have a 2013 Ford explorer xlt with 49,000 miles, so its no longer under warranty. I have the galvanic corrosion on the front hood, and have had it for a while but did not realize what was happening. I also have a leaking liftgate/roof that I am taking tomorrow for a third go at repair, luckily by a body shop that stands behind their work. Both of these are known issues (see above!) with the explorers from that period. I spoke to the ford "seal guy" at the dealership after my first leak in july 2018, and he told me that the weld was degrading, it was a known problem, and that I would have to have it repaired by a body shop. He also suggested I sell the car.

When I tried to open a case number with ford, I was treated like dirt by the regional rep and my case was closed immediately because my car was not at the dealership when I opened the case - it was shocking. I was referred by my body shop to the service manager at the ford dealership from whom I bought the car and where all of the service has been done. He was unhappy and apologetic about my complaint experience, said that the car did not need to be at the dealership, offered to help, and has done nothing despite many phone calls since October of 2018. He also confirmed, by the way, that ford does indeed score their customers.

I am getting ready to try to escalate my problems - to whom I don't know - but am wondering if its worth the effort? I am pretty shocked and disheartened by what I have read on the forum since discovering it this afternoon. Any suggestions would be welcome!

The Regional CS Manager will not discuss the issue with a customer until it has been to the dealership and the Service Manager attempts to resolve the issue and/or communicates the issue with the CSM. Yes, your ticket will be closed if you try to escalate it yourself and speak to them. Ford always refers your vehicle to the dealership for diagnosis first.

Your only other course of action is to file with the BBB as this will escalate your issue to the higher level depts that handle CS complaints. However, I'm not sure on a 6 year old vehicle if they will make any exceptions for you.

The suggestion from the Ford "seal" guy to sell the EX is the best advise he gave you.
There's still demand for these in the used market (especially with the huge depreciation) and provided it's in somewhat good condition, you can sell it pretty quick!

The suggestion from the Ford "seal" guy to sell the EX is the best advise he gave you.
There's still demand for these in the used market (especially with the huge depreciation) and provided it's in somewhat good condition, you can sell it pretty quick!

So you are suggesting to sell someone else his problem? And not disclose the issue?

Just a question for all that have gotten a replacement hood.

When I had my hood replaced, I asked about the labels under the hood and they suggested I wait at least 4-6 weeks before having them replaced.... if I really wanted them. They said they never had anyone come back for them as it makes the look under the hood cleaner.... I said I would think about it and let them know when I was bringing it back for regular service... which is coming due....

So... when you got your hood replaced.... did you get new labels under the hood?
If not, and it was offered for free, would you do it?

I kind of like the look of not seeing yellow and white labels under the hood.... it does look neater but wonder if it is better to have them there on resale or such.... or is there another reason I should want them?

Thanks

I haven't had the hood replaced. There is only one sticker on the underside of mine. It is white and hardly detracts from the appearance. It is the Vehicle Emission Control Information sticker. I would replace it if it were mine, assuming you can even get it.

Peter

Just a question for all that have gotten a replacement hood.

When I had my hood replaced, I asked about the labels under the hood and they suggested I wait at least 4-6 weeks before having them replaced.... if I really wanted them. They said they never had anyone come back for them as it makes the look under the hood cleaner.... I said I would think about it and let them know when I was bringing it back for regular service... which is coming due....

So... when you got your hood replaced.... did you get new labels under the hood?
If not, and it was offered for free, would you do it?

I kind of like the look of not seeing yellow and white labels under the hood.... it does look neater but wonder if it is better to have them there on resale or such.... or is there another reason I should want them?

Thanks

When the dealer replaced my hood I had to ask them to replace the decal too...they eventually gave me one to put on, but it’s not worth it. The replacement decal has your VIN handwritten on it...I think to discourage fraud/EPA violations????

I probably missed it, but I figured I would ask here. I have a 2016, and my hood is all bubbled up. I spoke to the service guy at my Ford dealer, and he insisted that it has to be completely rust through for the warranty to fix this. Has anyone else encountered this?

Mark

I probably missed it, but I figured I would ask here. I have a 2016, and my hood is all bubbled up. I spoke to the service guy at my Ford dealer, and he insisted that it has to be completely rust through for the warranty to fix this. Has anyone else encountered this?

Mark
Your dealership is an idiot.

Mark
He is wrong. For one thing the hood is aluminum and won't "rust through". If you check your Warranty Guide you will see that aluminum panels are covered for corrosion for 5 years, unlimited mileage. Take it with you and show him.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not an idiot. Just not knowledgeable about this issue. Not uncommon.

Peter
Not knowledgeable=idiot in my book. Time for a new dealership.

Back