transmission fluid leaking from new radiator | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission fluid leaking from new radiator

drdoug

Reaction score
City, State
Grand Rapids, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT. Stock.
I put in a new radiator that came with the o- rings installed on the fitting. it's leaking from the transmission line at the lower part of the radiator and blowing all over my left front engine bay.

Does anyone know if the original fittings had rubber in em ?

Ill take it off in a few hours when I get home I just wante3d to post this question because it seems like such a prevalent issue. I believe it is leaking from the lower line. Is it possible I over tightened it ?

I actually installed a second radiator because I was certain the first one was defective as it had the same issue of leaking- only with that first replace I put the o-rings in as they came in a little baggie.

I think i'm the defective one now....

I know this is written on extensively but its so annoying to have this happen I had to rant. at least it isn't negative degrees any more.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There needs to be O-rings in the trans line ports. The fittings do not require much tightening to prevent a trans fluid leak. I've changed 4 or 5 of these rads to-date with no trans line leaks. All of my new rads came with the O-rings installed.

One sure way to mess up the trans line ports at the rad is to not use 2 wrenches when tightening, but will usually result in a coolant leak.

Remove the offending trans line fitting from the radiator and check to make sure there's an O-ring in the port and that it's fully seated and not damaged.

Also make sure the lines go in straight when screwing the lines in. Brass is soft and can easily cross thread and use two wrenches, as Koda mentioned. Snug fit is better than tight fit.

Also make sure the lines go in straight when screwing the lines in. Brass is soft and can easily cross thread and use two wrenches, as Koda mentioned. Snug fit is better than tight fit.
Well I screwed the pooch and kinked the line because I was on lunch and in a rush. I’m posting a video of the drip. There is an o ring in the male coupler. Guess the next question is can i take a line off another truck and replace this one ? I can’t upload video for some reason I’ll try and reply with it.

4F5A2108-AB95-44EF-BD78-30F69DE62395.jpeg

About the only thing automotive my father ever taught me was that fittings & lines must go in straight. If you can't screw it in all the way by hand it's cross threaded, ditto for spark plugs by the way. Come to think about it, I can't think of anything else he ever taught me about anything.

Yes you should be able to get a used replacement line at the salvage yard.

Back