Radio/Back up Camera stops working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radio/Back up Camera stops working

BrooklynTee

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
I have a 2016 Explorer XLT and twice, my radio has stopped working. Both times the fix has been to disconnect the battery for a few minutes and it comes back on. Has anyone ever experienced this? What could the problem be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it just the radio that stopes working or do you lose other functions on the MFT screen? When you say it "stops working" is that on start up only or when you are listening to it? Does the rearview camera also start working again after the battery disconnect or is it 'dead'?

Peter

Is it just the radio that stopes working or do you lose other functions on the MFT screen? When you say it "stops working" is that on start up only or when you are listening to it? Does the rearview camera also start working again after the battery disconnect or is it 'dead'?

Peter
The entire screen is blank. No radio, back up camera or nothing works. This is upon start up. It has never cut off while in use.

There was a TSB for No Audio Output After Startup for th 2013-14 Explorer but I believe that was just for audio and not for a 'dead' radio. The APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) is the 'brains' behind the MFT. A bad or failing APIM would result in what you described and renders all MFT functions inoperable. The thing with your issue is that you can resolve the issue with a battery disconnect so I'm not sure if there is something else failing. I'm guessing your out of warranty coverage.

Peter

There was a TSB for No Audio Output After Startup for th 2013-14 Explorer but I believe that was just for audio and not for a 'dead' radio. The APIM (Accessory Protocol Interface Module) is the 'brains' behind the MFT. A bad or failing APIM would result in what you described and renders all MFT functions inoperable. The thing with your issue is that you can resolve the issue with a battery disconnect so I'm not sure if there is something else failing. I'm guessing your out of warranty coverage.

Peter
Yes, my 3 year basic warranty is up. I took it in to the dealership the first time it happened and they service tech disconnected the battery and sent me on my way. So this time, I had a local mechanic do it for me and it worked as well. I'm just wondering what is causing it. Also it was over a year ago when it happened the first time.

Back