• Register Today It's free!

Windshield Visor Tint strip

Ree5e21

Reaction score
City, State
Huntersville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Ford Explorer XLT
I just bought a 2018 Ford Explorer XLT. I am interested in getting the visor strip tinted but was wondering if the tint would interfere with the camera and rain sensor underneath the rear view mirror? Has anyone had the visor strip tinted and did it cause any issues? Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The top part is already tinted so I'm guessing you just want to darken it. I don't recall anyone posting issues with the systems you mentioned but since both rely on 'light' to some degree it is possible. Perhaps the rain sensing wipers more so than the camera. How Windshield Wipers Work

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The top part is already tinted so I'm guessing you just want to darken it. I don't recall anyone posting issues with the systems you mentioned but since both rely on 'light' to some degree it is possible. Perhaps the rain sensing wipers more so than the camera. How Windshield Wipers Work

Peter

My car didn’t come with any tint at all on the visor, that’s why I wanted to get it done. Thanks for your response

My car didn’t come with any tint at all on the visor, that’s why I wanted to get it done. Thanks for your response
I don't think I've seen any vehicles lately that didn't have at least a light tint at the top of the windshield. Are we talking about the same thing? The whole windshield is actually tinted although it is very light below the top strip.

Peter

I don't think I've seen any vehicles lately that didn't have at least a light tint at the top of the windshield. Are we talking about the same thing? The whole windshield is actually tinted although it is very light below the top strip.

Peter

66D4BE1E-11C1-4E07-9C41-2C9BB0F63363.jpeg

Yes, we are talking about the same thing. I posted a picture of my car and as you can see it doesn’t have any visor tint. I also thought most vehicles came with it

^ Wow, Ford, really?

This is odd but not unheard of. I don't think either of our Focus or Escape fleet have the tint above the AS1 line either.

^ Wow, Ford, really?

This is odd but not unheard of. I don't think either of our Focus or Escape fleet have the tint above the AS1 line either.
Right! It also didn’t come with floor mats in the 3rd row which I find even weirder.

The brand new base-xlt courtesy-car in our garage doesn't have a "visor tint" either.

The tint can't go below the AS1 line, at least in most states, by law, so it wouldn't interfere with anything mirror mounted, and if there's anything on the windshield above the AS1 line, the tint would be cut around it.

As long as there aren't any cameras or sensors in the blue boxes, you should be able to apply tint to the inside of the windshield there. The area in the red box is typically where rain/light sensors are located and surrounded by frit/black band and you will not likely be able to, nor want to, apply tint to the inside of the windshield in that area. Every windshield is different, but any competent shop should be able to advise on what they can and cannot do with tint so it won't interfere with any sensors or cameras. As far as legality, check your local/state law, or don't...

eNAOHXS.jpg

I have one on my exp with no issues. it is black and I love it.. hides my ez-pass, radar detector and other essentials up on roof line edge

I have one on my exp with no issues. it is black and I love it.. hides my ez-pass, radar detector and other essentials up on roof line edge
Awesome, thank you!

Our 17' XLT does not have the blue tint either and I am considering have the tint done. My issue is with the sun visors not being long enough.

....... My issue is with the sun visors not being long enough.
I think that is why the windshield has that 'dotted' pattern around the mirror.

Peter

Be warned, some tint shops will not tint below the AS1 line. Some will, but will not tint any darker than legal. Some will do whatever. Some don't know how to apply tint over that dot matrix, so it will look like garbage, or will not even tint over it. See third and fourth pics.

I paid cash for mine, no receipt.

On my Explorer, I have 5% tint down to the top of the mirror mount.

On my Paseo, I have 30% tint down 18" on the sides.

upload_2019-3-7_10-16-34.png

upload_2019-3-7_10-15-47.png

images

upload_2019-3-7_10-24-33.jpeg

The solid and patterned black areas/bands on auto glass is called frit - its like a ceramic glaze that is baked into the glass.

There are known issues with tinting over frit and a multitude of options for how tint shops deal with it. Some apply black vinyl over it and butt seam the tint against the vinyl. Some sand the frit. Others try to fill it with clear epoxy or glue. There are also shops that paint over it to fill it in.

I think that is why the windshield has that 'dotted' pattern around the mirror.

Peter

That does help with direct sunlight, but not with the glare.

That does help with direct sunlight, but not with the glare.
I find glare is usually through the lower part of the windshield where not much can be done to avoid that. Ran into that several times and mainly from glare off of other car windows.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I find glare is usually through the lower part of the windshield where not much can be done to avoid that. Ran into that several times and mainly from glare off of other car windows.

Peter

Sunglasses usually help me ;)

Back