Transmission Exhaust Mount Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Exhaust Mount Question

Reaction score
City, State
Bonita Springs, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT, V6 OHV
I’m replacing all of the bushings and hangers on my exhaust and the only one I’m missing now is the one that bolts onto the transmission area. Does anyone know if you just remove the bolt and the bushing bracket comes off?

10B7EF3C-41B3-448B-B2AF-EC5B8227D5AB.jpeg

I plan on supporting the exhaust with a jack. I just want to be sure nothing falls on me when I remove that bolt. I’d like to post a thread with the parts I used since I’ve looked for aftermarket replacements that match the discontinued OEM parts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try loosening the bolt and see if the bracket becomes free from the mounting. It is hard to tell from the photo if there are other bolts holding it on.

If it's like the one on my 96, then it's the bolt just holding up the bracket and the transmission mount.

Yours has a more substantial bushing then my OEM one. I wonder if they are interchangeable. I suspect mine is contributing to my RPM related vibration issue...

Image courtesy of @94fourdoor
index.php

index.php

I’ll try loosening the bolt this weekend. It’s a large bushing but it’s rock solid at this point so it isn’t doing much to absorb vibration. Those universal replacements look like a good option. Only problem is finding one with the right dimensions.

I am guessing that the Wagner one is identical to this diagram :dunno:

index.php

It’s hard to find replacements with dimensions like that. My truck vibrates at idle too. But I noticed that the rpms fluctuate greatly while watching them with my blue driver. For example from 743 to 698 in just a second, than back to 728. No CEL either.

Mine vibrates as soon as you start it, and while driving. The only time I don't notice it is when I shift into neutral on the highway, or where the road is as smooth as glass.

Mine vibrates as soon as you start it, and while driving. The only time I don't notice it is when I shift into neutral on the highway, or where the road is as smooth as glass.
Have you tested for exhaust leaks with a shop vac yet?

I have a Gibson catback, I am pretty sure that I don't have any leaks along any part of it. No signs of leakage around the catalytic converter joint, and I used band clamps on any joints from there back.

Update: I purchased the Walker 36516 exhaust hanger. It’s a close match to mine, except for the 3/8(9.5 mm) insulator hole, when compared to the Ford 12 mm rod. I don't really mind as long as it goes on with some grease. The important part will be bolting it on and hoping it lines up with the exhaust rod. I’ll try and install it this weekend.

E8D56D90-E053-4F0A-800B-D22E6B62836F.jpeg

D6B88222-E88C-4B43-8002-91EAED7E09BC.jpeg

Looks like a pretty close match :thumbsup:

More progress today. Using a 3/4 wrench I was able to get the bolt for the hanger off. Only problem is you have to drop the exhaust since the hanger won’t clear the oil pan otherwise. Which is something I don’t have the tools or the time to do.

That and the hole on the walker hanger is too small for the transmission support bolt. I could widen it but that makes me question how strong it would be with such a small area on the side of the hole. Looks like I’ll have to wait until I start replacing my exhaust system. But I placed my floor jack under the last catalytic converter and the vibration went away, and it felt great. So that gives me a clue where to start looking.

07965D24-6D00-47ED-9F6B-3EA7E805D51C.jpeg

A78D5F24-26C2-4327-85FA-D00E67A92939.jpeg

@239, so the hole in the rubber of the new mount was just too small...?

@239, so the hole in the rubber of the new mount was just too small...?

The bolt hole was too. That and everything doesn’t line up correctly since the overall size is smaller. You could drill a larger hole and try to get it to line up. I imagine it would work better than your current hanger.

Back