Where to put a secondary transmission cooler? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where to put a secondary transmission cooler?

bronchole

Driveway flexing!
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Monsterneer
Callsign
KI6MCO
I have started doing allot of towing with my Monsterneer. The limiting factor for towing (heat wise) has started showing as the transmission. I have a pretty tired 5.0 (190K miles) in it now, but in the next year or so I am looking to put a hopped up 347 in it. That will really heat things up. The trans can easily get going north of 230°F climbing hills while towing my 4000 pound trailer. It has the factory towing package with the cooler in front of the radiator.

I also have a 9000 pound winch "hidden" in the bumper. I am looking for any other alternative auxiliary cooler mounting locations. What have you all been doing?

I have seen the posts by Aldive and the others that mounted a second trans cooler to the drivers side of the original one. That is what I am considering for now, but I would really like to mount a remote one with a fan on it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It’s really hard to beat the amount of free air that flows over the front of the rad/condenser.
72DFA59F-A06A-4C1C-B5D9-644ED2B58F81.jpeg

Something like this could be used to replace the factory for some extra cooling capacity. (Tru-cool)

They also make inline coolers that are meant to mount along side the frame rails. If you add a substantial amount of cooling I might consider pulling the radiator out of the loop.

I would double check flow from the radiator. If I remember right it should be 2 quarts a minute or 1/2 quart in 15 secs. Mine was way below that. After I replaced the radiator with one from oreilly’s my flow went to, 1/2 quart in 12 secs. Simple test with 2 people and empty oil jug. You can also check the stock cooler with the radiator (whole system)

4K is a bit of a tug but not excessive.

On my old mountaineer I used a 2nd factory one in line on the other side of the grill. Its a little funny to mount but with a little L bracket you can get it done.

It’s really hard to beat the amount of free air that flows over the front of the rad/condenser.
View attachment 167956

Something like this could be used to replace the factory for some extra cooling capacity. (Tru-cool)

They also make inline coolers that are meant to mount along side the frame rails. If you add a substantial amount of cooling I might consider pulling the radiator out of the loop.

By far the best results I achieved was the mod I first saw performed by @traveler, combined with bypassing the radiator all together because 195 degree coolant will not cool a 190 degree transmission well. I use a scangauge to monitor trans temps.

Use a ford super duty cooler mounted low on the condenser with 2 7" fans. Using 2 coolers will work but it doubles the amount of connections and clamps for leaks.

I found the engine fan alone, at idle, will suck a cigarette ash through the trans cooler fins. Your hidden winch location may interfere though, I am not sure

index.php

where the fans are located tucked behind bumper

index.php

I am towing pretty much the same weight you described (a travel trailer) with an Explorer/Mountaineer just as described (190K miles, 5.0, tow package) and the transmission rarely gets over 210 degrees (Scangauge II). I'm also towing in mountains between 1500 and 7500 ft. I have a two row all aluminum radiator, and the previously mentioned all aluminum F-350 Super Duty transmission cooler. (Thanks for the Kudos Jon!) Each does its job independently of the other. I do plan to move the cooler a little farther forward to make room for the fans to draw air through rather than push as they currently are. I also plan to move it higher to make room for a front receiver hitch.

I like the super duty cooler the best for its size, one cooler as said is better than one. I wonder if that long kind of cooler can be placed vertical, leaving the one side open that has the cooler side of the condenser, the outlet side. That would help the AC, and reduce the need for air flow down low, behind the bumper area. I'll work on that for my 99 truck this Spring.

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I'll look in to the flow without any cooler in line and then check with the factory cooler as a starting point. From your responses I'm thinking u will look in to that super duty cooler and see if I can add a fan to it also.

LoL ya know, I was just thinking the same thing about the vertical placement. I think I'll look into that as well. If it fits that would do wonders for my cooling, and space.

We have the benefit of a huge radiator. You off road guys should really appreciate that with the large bumpers you have to use that blocks the bottom section. The AC condenser is fairly big too, so the trick is to cool the trans etc, and have plenty left for the engine. I still need to change my thermostat out, it's getting old having a CEL come on most every time I drive. Temps in the 130's will do that I guess, as I said, huge radiator we have.

I'm surprised the Super Duty cooler fits on an Explorer. I installed one on my Expedition and it was tight.

There are multiple versions from various models. I didn't know about the long wide versions, until after I had bought two of the other sizes. Mine are close to the width of a radiator, but taller than most coolers. Those cannot fit behind the center support, but the very wide version can go in front, and lower as needed.

2 ea 4inch Spals for $10 a piece & a $20 Cooler on ebay is what I did - Pass Side Cooler was Stock of course - Fans only kick on when AC compressor kicks on to help my Electric Rad Fan setup - Powered via 40 Amp 4 Pin relay triggered by AC Clutch Power.

TRANS COOLERS.jpg

TRANS COOLER JUMPER.jpg

TRANS COOLER FANS.jpg

For Economy reasons - Im running 2 stock coolers - I swapped the bracket over and used 'nutserts' to mount to core support. Ill get larger cooler in the future.

index.php

Nutstert locations - (arrows)
index.php

Build Info: 1997 Ford Explorer - V8 - 5.0 - AWD

Spudhut IMO that's a perfectly good "forever" setup u have in place now.

I've often thought of going with a system similar to that. I've already got one cooler that is similar in size to the factory cooler only thicker (X2), if I can find a second one like it I'll go that way. Up high out of the way, easy to mount a fan to each of them, lots of airflow, and more room for aftermarket bumpers, hitches, hooks, winches, etc.

Spudhut IMO that's a perfectly good "forever" setup u have in place now.

Thank you! - the only 'cut' modification that has to be done is making a notch to clear added cooler

Back