410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

410 fortune - 5.0L EFI 4R70W drivertrain conversion

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just curious, did you check the date on the post your interested in?

Just curious, did you check the date on the post your interested in?

yep, Digging old stuff up, I know.... but this guy seems to have the best idea about this swap and I need some serious help. I cant find jack on PBB or over on TRS (my frequents)

I'm back on EF!

Still driving the BII, ever since going V8 in 2005 she makes a great daily driver.

I'm back on EF!

Still driving the BII, ever since going V8 in 2005 she makes a great daily driver.

love this thread! i read through the whole thing over the past few days, and youve filled my head with so many ideas! im going to hopefully do some swapping around of my own over the winter. ive got 2 1987 B2s, both 2.9 autos, one of them was my summer daily until the trans started to slip about a month ago. the other has running issues that i never really tried too hard to figure out because the other was running great anyways and i can only drive one truck at at time :p so, i plan on taking the trans out of the "sick" one and putting it in the driver, so i can keep it on the road while i do a more intensive swap on the donor. I also have a 1998 Ranger 4.0 auto that i have loved for years. it was my first truck and i retired it a year ago when i bought a brand new F150 2.7 ecoboost. I hate the thought that my ranger is sitting there neglected and since i have this second bronco 2 that isnt driveable, im going to swap the 4.0 into the bronco. itll be my first project of this scale but im a good planner and i think i can get this figured out. It will be a good learning process because eventually i want to swap something into the other one..not sure if ill go for a 5.0 or, ive really wanted a diesel, so maybe a VW TDI? idk. that one will be a long time away- one thing at a time :) just wanted to thank you for all the information youve shared through your swap!

You are welcome!
I have done several 4.0 and 5.0 conversions to date so I am sure I can help you with your projects.
The 4.0L is WELL SUITED to the BII.
I had to have an automatic and I was tired of the V6 autos so I finally went 302 to get the 4r70w. So glad I did, it is a great trans.
The BII has basically not needed any upgrades or re working since 2005 and the V8, I just drive it now and upgrade other things.
The 4.0 pushrod with a M5OD Hd using the SOHC clutch and a 1354 manual is the hot setup for the BII/Gen I Ranger
Otherwise you could use the old 4 speed C4/C5 automatic, anything to avoid the A4LD.
If you do go A4LD find a good builder and have it updated using 4r55e internals.

I am doing a 5.0 into a 01 Sport trac with the 4406 right now and another one into a 99 Ranger that one will be AWD, progress is slow on those since we moved to Idaho in 2018 I am still setting up the new shop/property. I am gearing up to do trucks full time though so there will be some serious build threads coming.
These forums are my daily motivation! EAT SLEEP OFFROAD repeat......

would you build a harness to swap an explorer 5.0 into my 1st gen sploder? How much would that cost?

You are welcome!
I have done several 4.0 and 5.0 conversions to date so I am sure I can help you with your projects.
The 4.0L is WELL SUITED to the BII.
I had to have an automatic and I was tired of the V6 autos so I finally went 302 to get the 4r70w. So glad I did, it is a great trans.
The BII has basically not needed any upgrades or re working since 2005 and the V8, I just drive it now and upgrade other things.
The 4.0 pushrod with a M5OD Hd using the SOHC clutch and a 1354 manual is the hot setup for the BII/Gen I Ranger
Otherwise you could use the old 4 speed C4/C5 automatic, anything to avoid the A4LD.
If you do go A4LD find a good builder and have it updated using 4r55e internals.

I am doing a 5.0 into a 01 Sport trac with the 4406 right now and another one into a 99 Ranger that one will be AWD, progress is slow on those since we moved to Idaho in 2018 I am still setting up the new shop/property. I am gearing up to do trucks full time though so there will be some serious build threads coming.
These forums are my daily motivation! EAT SLEEP OFFROAD repeat......

I do like my 4.0 1991 ranger with a M5OD and a SOHC clutch and a 1354. Especially with 5.13 gears and 35s- its peppy and reliable. I have considered asking 410 to put a V8 in it because I think it would be more peppy and still reliable- but I just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

@fordpickupman PM sent, I am sure we can work something out. I would really rather help you build your own harness, but I do have some "down time" during the winter months where I can put together harness' if given the correct parts.

@Kirby N. More peppy and more reliable is TRUTH!! The BII has not needed any real drivetrain anything since the V8 conversion. She does not care if it is 30 below or 103 out, she just fires up and runs. She runs so smoothly (stock ECM and cam, solid engine mounts) that somtimes at a stop I have to check and see if she is running..... I guess I get used to all these diesels and cammed Fords.
The BII moves pretty dang good for runnig 35's and 4.10 I wish I would have done 4.56 or even 4.88 but that is hindsight and I am sure she will get her chance (I am considering a D44ttb setup to get longer travel and finally go to coilovers)

@410Fortune What does a M5OD- HD get you over a M5OD?

@Kirby N. the M5OD was beefed up internally to handle the power of the SOHC 4.0
The HD-R1 units found in the late model rangers (97+ Explorer, 2001+ ranger) are awesome! They have a different 1-2 gear and better synchros
The old M5OD was good the HD units are better
The M5OD-R2 is a heavy duty version that was used in Full size broncos and F150 behind the 302, if I ever ditch my 4r70w it will be for that manual trans

@donalds We do off road every day now, in fact the mud on our road is so bad right now we are not sure we will make it in and out with our UTV's!! Everything was great until a neighbor from CA came yesterday and buried his 350 in the mud puddle and had to be recovered (there are 6 cabins back here, all of them are seasonal. hunter types come up here on vacation, we LIVE here)
He left us some HUGE holes.....the road has 1-2 more weeks of healing to do before I drive my trucks in and out (we park at the gate and use UTV to commute all winter) and now he has left us some HUGE frame grabbing sink holes, we may or may not get stuck today on Easter!

We have a 2018 Polaris Ranger 1000 crew with a lift and 30" mud tires, if this baby gets stuck then we will are walking until it heals...otherwise heavy equipment is needed to fix the road. Im in the market for a dozer right now actually :)

The grocery getter:
171_101233_150000000.jpg

All part of the adventure!! Dealing with a stubborn moose, some river otters and woodpeckers = its spring time!

hi bill i have a 2001 ford explorer sport trac that i put a 5.0 out of a mountaineer got it running.but speedo does not work. put transducer in v8 pcm v8 vss and v8 instement cluster.do u have other advise.

the M5OD was beefed up internally to handle the power of the SOHC 4.0
The HD-R1 units found in the late model rangers (97+ Explorer, 2001+ ranger) are awesome! They have a different 1-2 gear and better synchros
The old M5OD was good the HD units are better
The M5OD-R2 is a heavy duty version that was used in Full size broncos and F150 behind the 302, if I ever ditch my 4r70w it will be for that manual trans

Cool. I will have to look at the HD-R1 gear ratios. The local manual tranny place that I talked to about making my m50d into a hybrid with 4cylinder 1-3rd gears said there was not difference in the HD and the regular m5od. I though I had read there was some improvements though- had to be or they wouldn't change the name, right?

Your spring time sounds like a blast!

hi bill i have a 2001 ford explorer sport trac that i put a 5.0 out of a mountaineer got it running.but speedo does not work. put transducer in v8 pcm v8 vss and v8 instement cluster.do u have other advise.

Who is Bill? There are a few Sport trac drivetrain threads out there! I am doing a 2002 right now, but its on another forum. PM me and I can send you a link.
Yes I have some advice, in a 2001 Sport trac the old V6 PCM used to do the buffering of the VSS signal for the speedometer. When you removed the v6 computer you removed the device that does the VSS signal for the dash. You need to add in a new module to do the calculations... There are a few to choose from, one of them is Dakota Digital speedometer interface, about $100. I see now there are also GPS enabled speed sensor interfaces, basically no VSS is needed on the truck side of things anymore.........amazing day and age we live in.

Kirby, if you want a M5OD built right, you need to talk to Brett............... he is not far from you and he knows how to build all of these trans, auto and 5 speed (plus he probably has cores, shhhh don't tell him I told you that)

It is spring time here again in Idaho! 2020 Covid lock down spring time, but spring time again. Plum tree is in full blossom, grass is green, ducks and geese are having babies....it's friggin awesome here. I'm still building Rangers!! All is well

3ea, 5.0 trucks going on at once
171_271044_260000001.jpg

410Customs 2020!!

BII been getting some love! Still my daily driver and better than ever.

Last week I installed new Motorcraft platinum plugs and a new set of Taylor 8.8 wires, cleaned the Amsoil/Injen blue dry air filter and added a amsoil pre filter this time around. Also installed a new stereo head unit with backup camera, this time I used an ATOTO (android tablet) head unit, double din. with GPS antenna and google maps.........I love it!
171_042039_580000003.jpg

171_042039_580000002.jpg

171_042039_580000001.jpg

That shop cat, that's "Alex"
You want to hear the story about that cat?
Alex, she is awesome.

She is the last of her litter. Before my son was born some 12 years ago, we had a litter of 4 kittens. Alex, her sister sticky, and their brothers Darrel and Larry.
Darrel was cool, but his first day outside of our old house he never came back. He was 10 weeks old, our neighbors were having a party that day, I like to think somebody grabbed Darrel and gave him a good home.

Larry was the coolest boy cat I ever had...he would actually play fetch and bring the ball back! When he was a year old he started to get out and stay out later and later. One day he came home frothing at the mouth and totally freaked out. The next time he got out he never came back...
I think he was tangling with a fox or raccoon or something. I looked for that cat on craigslist for 2 years.
We moved homes in Colorado and I still looked to see if he was found.

Then we moved from CO to ID. It took us several trips with trucks and trailers to get all of our stuff from CO to ID
On one of the last trips North we wanted to get our cats moved, Alex and Sticky.
Alex was gone! She never showed up..... looked for days!
We sold our house, we moved out, we were now 100% in Idaho.
We only had sticky left.

My mother in law back in CO was in touch with the new owners of our old house and they were aware we lost our cat Alex.
Still no sign. she checked to see about Alex for a month.
45 days.................. yes 45 days later, I found her.
I went to storage to get some snow tracks out of our huge trailer full of stuff from the move. Guess who was in there? Alex!!!!!!!!!!!!

Skin and bones, scared to death... she had climbed into the trailer before we left CO and she made the move INSIDE the trailer..1800 miles going down the road in a dark trailer full of bouncing stuff!! .... We stopped overnight in Bozeman, Montana it was well below freezing that night.
She was inside the trailer, in a storage lot, for 45 days during December and January here in North Idaho. She stayed alive by drinking melt water that drained down inside the back door of the trailer.
That day we dug out the back door of the trailer (covered in snow) opened the trailer and saw something run inside there? What was that?Immediately we knew it was Alex! Took some effort to get her out of there with all that junk, but we snagged her up, brought her home, and nursed her back to health. She was now at her new home in Idaho with her sister Sticky! AS you can see she has gained all of her weight back, it took almost a year.
Well her sister Sticky only made it one year here. We found her half dead outside one morning, apparently she was pulled up into the air by a owl or other bird of prey and dropped onto a rock. Poor kitty, had to put her down that day. Poor thing her skull was crushed. She made the whole ride to the vets purring in my lap.... poor cat.

So Alex is still with us, she has been through ALOT!
She has a bad hip, shes definitely on her 9th life.
Her hip was bad well before we moved from CO she was bit by a fox on her hind quarter.
She is the last from her litter (unless Darrel is still out there) and so we give her a nice comfortable home for the remainder of her days.
Our shop kitty Alex! Still kicking, slow, shes not real mobile, but she is happy, warm, fed, and comfortable!! We also have two new cats now, so she has two other females to hang out with.
Alex is 13 years old now, shes a tough old cat for sure.
Good kitty, she makes it into alot of my pictures from the shop as her house is front and center.

That shop cat, that's "Alex"
You want to hear the story about that cat?
She is awesome.

She is the last of her litter. Before my son was born some 12 years ago we have a litter of 4 kittens. Alex, her sister sticky, their brothers Darrel and Larry.
Darrel was cool, but his first day outside of our old house when he was 10 weeks old he never came back. Our neighbors were having a party that day I like to think somebody grabbed him and gave him a good home.

Larry was the coolest boy cat I ever had...he would actually play fetch and bring the ball back! When he was a year old he started to get out and stay out later and later, until one day he came home frothing at the mouth and totally freaked out, the next time he got out he never came back...I think he was tangling with a fox or racoon or something. I looked for that cat on craiglist for 2 years. We moved and I still looked to see if he was found.

Then we moved from CO to ID. One one of the last trips North we wanted to get our cats moved, Alex and Sticky.
Alex was gone! She never showed up..... we sold our house, we moved, we were in Idaho.
We only had sticky left.

My mother in law back in CO was in touch with the new owners of our old house and they were aware we lost our cat Alex.
Still no sign.
45 days.................. yes 45 days later,
I went to storage to get some snow tracks out of our huge trailer full of stuff from the move. We needed our snow tracks. Guess who was in there? Alex!!!!!!!!!!!!
Skin and bones, scared to death... she had climbed into the trailer before we left CO and she made the move INSIDE the trailer.... overnight in Bozeman Montana it was well below freezing.
She was inside the trailer in a storage lot for 45 days during December and January here in North Idaho. She live by drinking melt water that drained down inside the back door of the trailer.
We opened the trailer and saw something run inside there, immediately we knew it was Alex! Snagged her up... brought her home and nursed her back to health. She was now at her new home in Idaho with her sister Sticky.
Well sticky only made it one year here, We found her half dead outside one morning, apparently she was pulled up into the air by a owl or other bird of prey back here and dropped onto a rock. Poor kitty, had to put her down poor thing her skull was crushed. She made the whole ride to the vets purring in my lap.... poor cat.

So Alex is still with us, she has been through ALOT! Her hip was bad well before we moved from CO she was bit by a fox on her hind quarter. She is the last from her litter (unless Larry is still out there) and so we give her a nice comfortable home for the remainder of her days. Our shop kitty Alex! Still kicking, slow, shes not real mobile, but she is happy! We have two new cats now, she has two other females to hang out with.
Alex is now 13!!
Good kitty, she makes it into alot of my pictures
This was a great story full of sadness and happiness which describes life as we know it

thanks for the information.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With this sweet rig, you seem the the guy to ask about my problem. Swapped a 92 T-Bird 5.0 in to my 87 Ranger. Much the same harness as your BII..

The only factory gauge I can't get to work is the ammeter. Nothing I've tried will make it show that it's charging. It does show when it's discharging, like when the headlights are on, etc, so I know the gauge still works. I just don't know how to wire the alternator to the factory 87 Ranger harness to have it show charge status. I think I'm missing the factory shunt?

I used a Ron Francis efi harness and left the Ranger body harness intact, but unplugged/ditched the underhood engine harness, etc. If that matters..

Any tips for me? I've read the EVTM manual for the 87 until I was blue in the face. Even gave myself CO poisoning trying to keep warm in a shop for several hours trying to figure this one out, which made me even more stupid in the long run. lol

Sorry to clutter up your thread.

GB :)

Back