Self-Sealing Tires on 2020 Explorer Platinum? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Self-Sealing Tires on 2020 Explorer Platinum?

Ima DingBat

Reaction score
City, State
ChocolateTown - USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check out this story from Driving.ca!

The 2020 Ford Explorer Platinum will come standard with self-healing tires

Say good-bye to paralyzing flat tires—self-sealing run-flats are for the first time making their appearance on a mainstream SUV

Could this be True?

It is indeed true and there are 2 links to articles discussing these tires (one of them being this one) on pg 28 of the thread "2020 Explorer".

This can also be confirmed through the 2020 order guides and through the "Build & Price" on Ford's American site (Canadian version doesn't have that option yet for some reason).

This is old technology. Nothing at all groundbreaking or cutting edge about it.

I personally wouldn’t want it in my tires. Most tire shops have extra fees for dealing with tires that have junk like fix-a-flat in them, I wouldn’t be surprised if this ends up adding a surcharge when replacing tires.

After Googling the words "self sealing tires 2020 Explorer Platinum" I received a number of hits for this item on the 2020 Explorer Platinum. Apparently Ford announced this self-sealing Michelin tire as being OEM for Platinum and Hybrids in early March, but I missed seeing that announcement. However, I'm wondering if this type tire will only be provided in the standard 20" size, or will it also be featured in the optional 21" size for the machined aluminum wheels (which I selected for my new ride). If anyone knows about the 21" size, please post a response. Thanks. Ima

However, I'm wondering if this type tire will only be provided in the standard 20" size, or will it also be featured in the optional 21" size for the machined aluminum wheels (which I selected for my new ride). If anyone knows about the 21" size, please post a response.

The Order Guide only mentions self-sealing in conjunction with the 20". The 21" is only described as All Season. Accordingly, I do not believe you get self-sealing with the 21".

If it’s important you can just dump a bottle of Slime in ANY tire, and have this “amazing” feature. It’s not a tire technology, it’s an additive.

Check out this story from Driving.ca!

Say good-bye to paralyzing flat tires—self-sealing run-flats are for the first time making their appearance on a mainstream SUV

Could this be True?
That was included as a wording change in the Order Guide revisions. See this post; 2020 Explorer and Aviator Order Guides It refers to P255/50R20 tires only.

Peter

The latest word from Ford is that ONLY the 20" sneakers will have self-sealing Michelin tires. The 21" rubber will very likely be Pirelli brand, but the exact model is not yet known. As the story goes, Ford had to guarantee Michelin a minimum production run quantity in order for the 20" sealing version to be produced. Inasmuch as the consumer attraction for the 21" size was unknown on an Explorer, Ford decided to use standard type tires on that optional equipment. Enjoy. Ima

Ok, so I noticed the 2020 has-------
Quote: All-new Ford Explorer is available with new Michelin Selfseal tires; these proprietary tires are lined with an environmentally friendly rubber sealant designed to fill most common tread punctures from nails and screws, dramatically slowing the rate at which air leaks.

I realize there are multiple issues that I assume may be logistical based on assembly plant.

But this appears to be something (new) added to the convenience for the owner.

Believe me, I know how fix-a-flat works and gravity and gyroscopic motion !

This glue will not fully stick-seal to the inside of the (tire which heats up first) !

I acquired a 944 without a spare, & generously installed SLIME in each wheel with all new tires. With moderate driving it took 2 years to fully settle out and rebalance. The spare would have been more than the cost of new tires installed with puncture protection. Oh, and I have a full sized spare in reserve for trips just for the hell-of-it.

ANYWAY,....... [ has anyone experimented by replacing the whole set of wheels & tires with a set without this feature with a road test to see if any bump vibration or whatever might be removed ? ? ? ]

......................ANYWAY,....... [ has anyone experimented by replacing the whole set of wheels & tires with a set without this feature with a road test to see if any bump vibration or whatever might be removed ? ? ? ]
I'm going to go out on a limb and say NO. I don't really see any reason why anyone would.

Peter

I have a Platinum with the optional 21" wheels, it has Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires on it. They seem fine, although they do flat spot on cold mornings if the vehicle has been sitting for a couple of days.

TBill

I have a Platinum with the optional 21" wheels, it has Pirelli Scorpion Zero tires on it. They seem fine, although they do flat spot on cold mornings if the vehicle has been sitting for a couple of day.

TBill
That is normal for 20" and 21" tires.

Back