How many people have had the airbag warning light activate | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many people have had the airbag warning light activate

Have you had the airbag warning light activate?

• No - my airbag light has never activated

Votes: 26 21.0%
  • Yes - I took it to the dealer and it has been fixed for more than 6 months

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Yes - I took it to the dealer and it has been fixed for less than 6 months

Votes: 11 8.9%
  • Yes - I took it to the dealer and the problem was not fixed. It has come back on again.

Votes: 18 14.5%
  • Yes - I have not taken it to be fixed.

Votes: 54 43.5%
  • Yes - I fixed it myself.

Votes: 5 4.0%

• Total voters
My airbag light has come on and off intermittently over the past year, usually on for a few days, and then off for months. I've made appointments at the dealer, but they state that if the light is not on, they cannot do anything. My 2016 has just run over 36,000 miles (36,095 to be exact). I am worried that this issue will a) not be covered now, and b) cost me lots of money over time.

I just got it back from the dealer today (after replacing the battery harness), and it was on. There was no mention of it.

Wondering if I should buck of for the the premium warranty that covers just about everything.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My airbag light has come on and off intermittently over the past year, usually on for a few days, and then off for months. I've made appointments at the dealer, but they state that if the light is not on, they cannot do anything. My 2016 has just run over 36,000 miles (36,095 to be exact). I am worried that this issue will a) not be covered now, and b) cost me lots of money over time.

I just got it back from the dealer today (after replacing the battery harness), and it was on. There was no mention of it.

Wondering if I should buck of for the the premium warranty that covers just about everything.
If you opt for the ESP warranty print out the brochure and check the items NOT covered at the bottom of it to avoid any surprises. Also, there is a thread in the 'Sticky' section about getting the ESP warranty.
If you check your Warranty Guide I think you'll find that the Safety Restraint System is covered for 5 years/60k miles.
Did the dealer check to see if there were any stored trouble codes?

Peter

If you opt for the ESP warranty print out the brochure and check the items NOT covered at the bottom of it to avoid any surprises. Also, there is a thread in the 'Sticky' section about getting the ESP warranty.
If you check your Warranty Guide I think you'll find that the Safety Restraint System is covered for 5 years/60k miles.
Did the dealer check to see if there were any stored trouble codes?

Peter
Thank you for the heads up, and I will read this.
Each time I have made an appointment at the dealer, the light has gone off. Each time they tell me they cannot do anything without the light on since they cannot run the codes.

Mark

Peter is correct in citing the 5/60k warranty on the restraints system.

ESP is generally a good idea on these cars, we have some dealer partners who work with members on the site that can score you a very good deal close to cost.

Good luck I'm still under warranty been in 3 times no results yet seems to happen in the more frigid days

I have a 2014 Explorer and the airbag light is on. It has been on for a while. I am due for MA inspection this month but I don't know if it will pass. Is there a way to diagnose this? I did a scan with Torque but there are no codes.

Dealership. The codes won’t show on a regular OBD-II scanner, you need one that can read Ford specific codes.

So i used FORScan and got a B141B - Second Row Driver Side Inflatable Seatbelt Deployment Control message. Additional Fault Symptom - Circuit Open. Any chance I can fix this myself?

Well you can add me to this list. My airbag light has come on for the second time now. Dealer fixed it till I got home then light came on again! Three times a charm lol

Well you can add me to this list. My airbag light has come on for the second time now. Dealer fixed it till I got home then light came on again! Comes on and goes off. Back to the dealer.

add me to the list as well, I have an appointment with ford on Tuesday morning

we have an appt for the 26th of july...lets see if it works this time. we are also getting the CO / exhaust thing handled as well. i'll report back on the outcome.

So i used FORScan and got a B141B - Second Row Driver Side Inflatable Seatbelt Deployment Control message. Additional Fault Symptom - Circuit Open. Any chance I can fix this myself?

Try cleaning the connector (unplug/clean/re-connect).

we have an appt for the 26th of july...lets see if it works this time. we are also getting the CO / exhaust thing handled as well. i'll report back on the outcome.
Any update?

Try cleaning the connector (unplug/clean/re-connect).
FYI, the member you quoted hasn't been active here for a year. Not sure if it ever was fixed.

Peter

This info is specific to the 2012 Ford Explorer with airbag code 1212:13.

2012 Ford Explorer, base, 30,000 miles. Airbag light came on. Fixed the problem. Used Forscan software to analyze the problem. Code was 1212:13. Looking at the factory service manual this is the Driver Seatbelt Buckle Pretensioner Deployment circuit high impedance. NOTE!! This is the driver's seatbelt BUCKLE, i.e. on the driver's right hand side where you buckle your seatbelt into. I did not know before reading up on this problem that there is a small explosive in the seatbelt buckle mechanism that will "cinch" down in the event of a crash to prevent someone from sliding out from under their seatbelt. There is also an explosive on the seatbelt "winder" on the driver's left. This one is to pull your torso back into the seat. I knew about this one. These two work together in a crash. There are separate codes if that mechanism is the culprit.

WARNING - do NOT try to measure the resistance of the pretensioner directly with an ohmeter. You may explode the airbag!!!

Note also, this may be specific to the 2012. I also looked at the 2013 wiring diagram and it is different than this. The seatbelt pretensioner goes to a small connector (C3065) that is easy to see on the right side of the driver's seat cushion. This then goes to a large connector (C311) below the front of the driver's seat. This then goes to a large connector (C211) which is behind the carpet at the driver's kickpanel area. Finally this goes to connector (C310A) which is one of two connectors on the Restraint Control Module at the bottom of the front center console.

I used the Forscan software to snoop at the impedance it was seeing in the pretensioner circuit (DEPLOY_18_R). It was seeing 4 ohms. Acceptable is between 1.7 and 2.78 ohms. Then I disconnected C3065 and shorted the pins (1 & 2) that are for the pretensioner. I then used the Forscan software to see what the impedance was now. In theory is should be 0 ohms. Instead it was reading 2 ohms. This told me that there was something in the circuit that was not a solid connection. I simply disconnected and reconnected about six times the connectors one a time. C311 (under the seat) was not the culprit. Turns out that C211 was the problem. NOTE - I did NOT add any dielectric grease. That was not the issue. You get to C211 by popping the driver's scuff plate up and then popping out a single large round fastener that holds the carpet in place. If someone really needs it I can take some pictures and post.

Hi there!! I have this same issue on my '12 can you provide some pictures?? Thanks in adavance!!!
This airbag light is driving me nutz!!!

This isn't a guaranteed fix. Mine is on 2x replacement. Its easy to disconnect just unlatch it. Also, there is a tsb about this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

update..Installed FU2Z 14S411 RA :WIRE ASY
Perform replace 2 wire pigtails.....this and a bunch of other code but this worked and the light in her truck hasn't come on since. job done 9/2018.

Back