Detail guys ruined matte finish with leather conditioner. Help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Detail guys ruined matte finish with leather conditioner. Help!

Joe Sardone

Reaction score
City, State
WATERTOWN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 / Platinum Explorer
So I recently had my 2018 Platinum Explorer detailed by pretty reputable guys (I've used them in the past) but apparently they didn't use whatever specific matte finish leather interior cleaner/conditioner (and just a regular one). The interior is gray as well.

Now the matte finish is this lack luster glossy - they've tried to remove it (I had them wipe it off immediately once I got there) but the finish seems to be forever changed.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to strip the conditioner from the matte leather without harming the underlying leather interior? It's driving me CRAZY.

Thanks again! -js

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Joe.:wave:
If the conditioner has seeped into and bonded with the material, I would think it would be almost impossible to remove it. Is it not possible to apply the correct conditioner over it?

Peter

That's a good question Peter - they removed most of it after it was applied (while it was still wet). It's still a little glossy- does it ever wear off/evaporate? Has been about a week with no change. This stiff is terrible - I would think that adding another layer of conditioner (even the right kind) is probably not going to change much. Thoughts?

I've never applied any type of condition to mine so I don't know what effect it would have if you apply another coat to the seats. I lease my vehicles and seldom get to the end of the 48 month lease before the dealer calls. My vehicles are all extremely low mileage making them attractive for resale

Peter.

Try using Tuff Stuff spray foam cleaner, that has served me well over the years on leather. That should get the shiny look of the seats.

Try using Tuff Stuff spray foam cleaner, that has served me well over the years on leather. That should get the shiny look of the seats.
That's a good idea - so the issue is mostly just with the dash board - could it damage the leather?

I've never applied any type of condition to mine so I don't know what effect it would have if you apply another coat to the seats. I lease my vehicles and seldom get to the end of the 48 month lease before the dealer calls. My vehicles are all extremely low mileage making them attractive for resale

Peter.
Yeah they really should have asked me if I wanted that - or maybe not? Idonno... I mean it's very clearly matte leather and adding a conditioner is pretty drastic. They didn't even apply it very well which pisses me off even more.

The secret to using anything on leather or any other upholstery is to apply it to a spot that is hidden and see if you like the results.

If it doesn't come out the way that you expected or wanted you can switch to something else before you have problems.

Real leather should only have proper leather products put on it, but the whole point is to clean it and restore it with the chemicals of the conditioner.

So if it really is leather, than most good leather products will be absorbed by the leather, which is very good. If it's leather than you just want to return the surface appearance/texture to what it was.

Most leather products unfortunately include both cleaners and conditioning chemicals. The best is a separate product for each. So I suggest using a very good brand of leather cleaner product, or the one the maker calls for, and gently "clean" it again. A real leather cleaner will remove most of the prior conditioner product, except what has been absorbed.

So clean it again as possible with proper cleaner, and then reapply the recommended conditioner. Hopefully that will get it close. Good luck,

Its Pleather in an Explorer.... not real.

You can use lots of other products for the other materials, and they are not porous.

Hopefully the OP can remove the top surface chemical that altered the appearance, and get it back to how it was.

Leather needs proper care using products made specifically for it. Leather can last forever and stay soft, but without care, and treatments, it will dry out and crack, especially exposed to a lot of sun.

That's a good idea - so the issue is mostly just with the dash board - could it damage the leather?
In all the years that I have used Tuff Stuff, never had it damage leather. It can leave the leather a lighter color, as it does a good job of opening the leather pores, but once it dries, it will darken back up.

Once cleaned, use Lexol on a microfiber cloth and apply only to leather portions. The Lexol will soak in and not be shiny.

If the Lexol is applied to a non-leather surface, it will leave a shiny/oily residue.

This based on my experiences over the years hope that helps. :)

Lexol has been recommended here by several members in the threads about detailing and overall care of the vehicle.

Peter

I've used Lexol conditioner a few times on my Ex. interior with good results.
I apply it to a rag, wipe into the leather and let it soak it up.
I go back over it about 5 minutes later and buff it (I think the instructions say to do that). I don't know if anything is really buffed out, but gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that my clothes won't be coated in the conditioner.

Another :thumbsup: for Lexol products!

I've tried Lexol also and still have some left. My favorite was from Eagle One, but that was in the late 90's. They had a pure conditioner, and it was great to smear on by hand, after the cleaner product. My 91 Mark VII loved it. But they stopped making it by the next time I looked for more.

The last brand I've tried is called Leatherique. It's more expensive and is two steps, the conditioner having no cleaners in it. I like it also, still have most of it, but it doesn't seem as thick as the Eagle One I liked so much way back when. I recommend this, but most people won't spend $75 or whatever it is for the two products.

Another :thumbsup: for Lexol products!

I liked the Lexol too, but I preferred a final pure conditioner, and when I bought it long ago it was a combination cleaner/conditioner. If I run out of what I have now, I'll look at what's new again. It is hard to make time and do all of the leather regularly(6-12 months).

Use Lexol on my interior as well. Very happy with the results. Widely available at most auto parts stores too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back