Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Center Console for Ford Explorer Police Interceptor

Or, I don't know. You could buy and add the correct console from any number of retailers instead of half ass-ing it.
Meh. Seems like alot of money, time, and effort. Also I would have to relocated my aux and USB inputs for my sync radio, as well as my 12v plugs. No thanks, this one is perfectly functional, has more storage than the factory unit, and doesnt have gaping holes where non-existent equipment goes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Meh. Seems like alot of money, time, and effort. Also I would have to relocated my aux and USB inputs for my sync radio, as well as my 12v plugs. No thanks, this one is perfectly functional, has more storage than the factory unit, and doesnt have gaping holes where non-existent equipment goes.

Probably best you actually do your research.

20190531-172404.jpg

Street1049 that is a sharp ride, well done my friend.

My PIU came to my driveway as a second duck hunting rig, if I don't take my 1997 truck or don't need a truck, I can take the Explorer. Rubber floor, pulls a boat, 305HP good for out of state trips to Arkansas and the all wheel drive will get me out of most situations, the bambi slammer front push bumper will help bump the furry critters to the ditch, but it's a hunting rig. Inside modifications for securing gear, carabiner attachment points (thanks to leftover cage stuff) etc. So just screwing down the "rugged" console was the way to go, plus it provides the back seat folks a pair of cup holders too. Mud, blood and wet dawgs, nothing fancy, redneck engineering. Whoo-hooo something for everybody out there. :D

I may buy another one for swanky driving, they are fun. :burnout:

Probably best you actually do your research.

20190531-172404.jpg

Considering i dont give two flips about throwing the actual center console in there, my time, money, and effort are spent on other things. Worry about yourself.

If anyone is looking for the oem propper center console. a guy in richmond Va on facebook marketplace is selling them new for 300 i think plus shipping. He has like 50

Hello can someone help me if you have been successful on converting the shifter to the center console, I have a piu 2016 with the oem center console. If anyone have good leads or any tips I will appreciate it. I will submit pictures shortly. The center console donator was an xlt. I am missing the shifter, just a bit afraid on what parts do I have to actually order at this point.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I did a quick search on the Forum and didn't see anything as to how to do that. I don't think it may be as easy as it seems. Does the PIU have a Brake-Shift Interlock like the retail units do?

Peter

Hello can someone help me if you have been successful on converting the shifter to the center console, I have a piu 2016 with the oem center console. If anyone have good leads or any tips I will appreciate it. I will submit pictures shortly. The center console donator was an xlt. I am missing the shifter, just a bit afraid on what parts do I have to actually order at this point.

Unless you actually want the floor mounted shifter, you can just order the PIU top panel that only contains cup holders with no shifter hole.

I still have my OEM retail console collecting dust. Folks have robbed a few pieces off it but it’s free to anyone that wants to pay for shipping.

Unless you actually want the floor mounted shifter, you can just order the PIU top panel that only contains cup holders with no shifter hole.

I still have my OEM retail console collecting dust. Folks have robbed a few pieces off it but it’s free to anyone that wants to pay for shipping.

Sure, i will shoot you a PM.

Mine came with a console and someone stitched the leather so it forms a pocket. The front electric socket doesn’t work. The rear DC outlet doesn’t work either :(. I did see someone on here that has a piece that fits switches and a smaller cup holder behind it. Would love to find that.

2013 Install.

Septer Console 1.jpg

Septor Console 3.jpg

Septor Console 2.jpg

Hello '16PIU, I'm in admin and basically drive back and forth to the office so I don't have a computer mount. Siren / light switches and radio / repeater are all hidden so I really didn't need the free space the column shifter affords you between the seats. (And I'm a professional coffee drinker and I haven't found an aftermarket police console yet whose cup holders will beat OEM!)

I ordered it with the interior upgrade package so the factory console is there, just with a different top plate. I miss the column shifter arc of the Crown Vic's, so natural. The PIU feels good, kind of rolls towards you. I remember we tried some Charger Pursuits when they came out in 2006 and the shifter was a joke, awkward as hell. Today's "Caprice" is even worse but that car is a different story for another day!

Unixadm, the conversion was easier than expected. The big plus is that the retail and the PIU use the same shifter cable. To go from colum to floor, you'll have to adjust the linkage out on the tranny just a bit to lengthen it (there is plenty of adjustment available in the cable). The biggest pain was wiring up the brake interlock, park detect and key removal inhibitor from the column down to the floor shifter. I broke down and bought an OEM wiring manual on eBay for $30, money well spent! I took the "low gear" button on the end of the column and put it on a small, momentary push button on the steering column. I also replaced the steering column cover so to do away with the huge rubber boot from the column shifter. Believe it or not, that whole cover was $7 from Ford.

Possibly the best part, the floor shifter allows the tranny to physically go into "sport" mode. Now just got to pull my airbag and see if the wiring for the paddle shift steering wheel is there. Will have to check a few other leads as well, but it may be possible.

Do you have the factory console already? If so, you're in pretty good shape.

I plan on doing a write up very soon.

I have a 14 piu 3.5L. this is my first time seeing someone reference converting to a floor shifter and enabling sport mode. What does the floor shifter have to go with that?

Welcome to the Forum Nick.:wave:

Peter

Good day all, hoping for a little help, i just bought a 2017 Explorer PIU, ive purchased a factory center console with the terrain dial option, the console has a large male wiring harness, unfortunately i cant seem to find the corresponding female connector, should it be there or is it not possible to get this terrain option working? The console also has rear HVAC, but from reading this form it looks like thats not going to work, any help is greatly appreciated, ive always found forms like this VERY informative

Good day all, hoping for a little help, i just bought a 2017 Explorer PIU, ive purchased a factory center console with the terrain dial option, the console has a large male wiring harness, unfortunately i cant seem to find the corresponding female connector, should it be there or is it not possible to get this terrain option working? The console also has rear HVAC, but from reading this form it looks like thats not going to work, any help is greatly appreciated, ive always found forms like this VERY informative

Ripster54, I just bought mine, I should be picking it up Friday or Saturday, I got a console and need to do the same but also want to relocate the shifter to the console. I'm looking for detailed instructions on that process but haven't found them yet.. I'm thinking of starting a blog for site ups on these installs, so if you figure it out, want to contribute, let me know.

If anyone has write ups on the console installs, shifter, installs, wiring for the console, HVAC, Seats, whatever else. I want to put it all on one site so it's easy to find and well documented with pictures and/or video rather than trying to search and scroll through pages of conversations from the last few years. If anyone knows of existing threads, write-ups , etc. PM me and I'll try to aggregate this. If this already exists, let me know and I'm happy to contribute as I start my new project with my PIU.

Welcome to the Forum Ripster54.:wave:
I don't know if you can get the Terrain Management System working or not since the PIU didn't come with it. I guess it all depends on whether all the other components it interfaces with are set up for what in your case is essentially 'plug and play'.

Peter

I appreciate the input, DHG2496 ill let you know how it works out, but im thinking ill just be removing the terrain knob and just 3D print some inserts, if anyone had those dimensions that be greatly appreciated, its a bummer it wont work, but the corresponding harness just inst anywhere to be found, i honestly thought all these explores carried the same wiring harness and the correct plug would just be tucked away somewhere, any insight on this would be awesome

Ripster, I'm doing my research too and I'll make sure to let you know if I find anything on Terrain Mgmt. I was looking at the service manual and parts diagrams today and it looks like for those without terrain management, there is a factory cup that you can buy to go in there, but I think it was $30, so 3d printing might be the better way to go if you have the resources to do so.

I'm also now trying to figure out what wires and cables have to move down to the console to get A) the Shifter working, B) get the USB and Aux port working.

Aux and USB will probably be easier, from parts it looks like I just need simple USB cable to go from the back/bottom of the radio to the plug in the console. AUX, I haven't figure out the cable and where it plugs in yet.

One good note, I did manage to get my 10-way leather passenger seat in and powered. Now to finish what the seller started on my drivers seat. Just needs some re-wiring to get the additional switches working.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I found the following in the wiring diagram. It looks like a very simple wiring to the BCM if you knew where to route the wires. This also means that adding Terrain Management is likely something that has to be enable with Forscan to get it working, but that's just a guess.
Wiring Diagram for Terra: TerrainMgmtWiring.png

Back