Ghost puddle lights

david sherk

Reaction score
City, State
richland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 explorer platium
Does the 2020 ST have ghost puddle lights with ST logo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, it is a red "ST" that shines down on the ground.

I love that! I haven't seen any images, but I also haven't really researched if the edge ST has them, what they looked like and if so if they were the same as or different. Any ideas?

I love that! I haven't seen any images, but I also haven't really researched if the edge ST has them, what they looked like and if so if they were the same as or different. Any ideas?
The puddle lights are really cool. I have those on my Mustang ( projected mustang image) and they are really cool at night to see! as well as a functional benefit of lighting along the car at night.

Screenshot_20190630-131249_Chrome.jpg

Do you guys know if they classify it as "Approach Lighting". I had a MKC with "Approach Lighting" which of course meant as I walked towards it, the LIncoln Logo would shine on the ground etc. My Platinum F150 with all the bells and whistles it has, does not have the approach lighting or any cool shine on the ground outside the door logo.

Also the MKC had menu options to control the approach lighting. I went through all the menus in the ST I drove (it was daytime) and did not see any mention of a similar terminology.

The only reference in the manual mentions that “some exterior lamps illuminate when you unlock the doors. . . “. 25-second fixed duration unless a door is open or you keep clicking unlock on the fob. Collectively it’s described as “Illuminated Entry” and “Illuminated Exit.” No other official description that I can see. Also doesn’t appear to be any configuration option. See the pic above for the red “ST” projected image. Very impressive at night.

Do you guys know if they classify it as "Approach Lighting". I had a MKC with "Approach Lighting" which of course meant as I walked towards it, the LIncoln Logo would shine on the ground etc. My Platinum F150 with all the bells and whistles it has, does not have the approach lighting or any cool shine on the ground outside the door logo.

Also the MKC had menu options to control the approach lighting. I went through all the menus in the ST I drove (it was daytime) and did not see any mention of a similar terminology.
I don't believe the Explorer lighting is considered as being an "approach lighting" feature as in the Lincolns. I believe more than the puddle lights come to life in the new Lincolns upon approach.

Peter

So that ST that shines on the ground, that happens when you unlock the doors? I need to go drive one when it dark out ;)

Cool thanks... not as cool as the Approach Lighting, but I guess they have to save some things specifically for the Lincolns.

The way I see it, I Approach the ST, unlock it remotely, and the Lighting goes on. Same thing ;)

Yup... "Approach Lighting" you nailed it!!! ;) And actually it probably resolves a engineering challenge. The 2015 MKC I had (along with lots of folks that had them) we had issues with dead batteries, or the vehicle going into battery save/shutdown mode as if you had the Key Fob in the house and the MKC was close enough in the garage... and lets say your body moving between where you keep the Fob and the vehicle was enough to make the car think it just saw the Fob come nearby.. boom the lighting would come on. Rinse and repeat over and over say on a long weekend of maybe not driving it.. and I would come out to a car that would not start. They seemed to have found a way to fix that though as my 2016 MKC never had the issue. I parked it in the same place in the garage and stored the Fob in the same basket in the house.

So I run the new ST by the maintenance dept today. One of the younger deputies notices the colored, mirror light ST ground effects. " Cool ....... Wonder if we can get those on the patrol units ......... Wired to work along with the mirror strobes ........ That would be way cool during a traffic stop at night" he says.
rofl.gif
"Ah youth ....... Ya gotta love it !"

I didn't even realize the ST had the lights until I got home from the dealer. I remember the salesperson commenting on the car making a batman symbol at night, and had no clue what he was talking about, lol.

The Aviator shows the Lincoln logo upon approach.

Yup... "Approach Lighting" you nailed it!!! ;) And actually it probably resolves a engineering challenge. The 2015 MKC I had (along with lots of folks that had them) we had issues with dead batteries, or the vehicle going into battery save/shutdown mode as if you had the Key Fob in the house and the MKC was close enough in the garage... and lets say your body moving between where you keep the Fob and the vehicle was enough to make the car think it just saw the Fob come nearby.. boom the lighting would come on. Rinse and repeat over and over say on a long weekend of maybe not driving it.. and I would come out to a car that would not start. They seemed to have found a way to fix that though as my 2016 MKC never had the issue. I parked it in the same place in the garage and stored the Fob in the same basket in the house.
The Welcome feature on the Aviator, which includes lowering the vehicle if equipped with dynamic handling along with approach lighting, will shut down after activating twice. It takes another ignition cycle before it works again. That keeps the battery load down.

I test drove the ST at night 3 times before I drove it the final time in the daytime so I was aware of these from the start. I test drove a Nautilus before deciding on the ST and the Nautilus light bar and DRL's would light up sequentially as you walked toward it and then turn off when you walked away. The window sticker on ST's says:
MIRRORS-PWR/HTD/AUTO-FOLD
ST PROJ LAMP/SIG/MEM/DIM So they are mentioned there too!

Ordered the strobe modules for mine last night. Can't wait for them to get wired in using a separate under dash switched power feed.
grin.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back