2021 Explorer Timberline - "Offroad" Edition | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 Explorer Timberline - "Offroad" Edition

Exit32

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, Mass.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Aviator Reserve
Interesting article by Car and Driver Magazine about the design of the ST's exhaust tips. I'd guess the Platinum gets the same tips:

2020 Ford Explorer ST's Exhaust Tips – Fake or Real?

The article says Ford has confirmed the reason for the weird tips is to prevent soot buildup. That may be one of the benefits, but I think the tips also help address the famous exhaust-smell-in-the-cabin problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder how downward exhaust would be impacted by high water, snow or grass? Seems that it could become stopped up a lot easier than rear exhaust and allow gases into the vehicle. I got the CO recall and the next recall may be the quad tips.

I wonder how downward exhaust would be impacted by high water, snow or grass? Seems that it could become stopped up a lot easier than rear exhaust and allow gases into the vehicle. I got the CO recall and the next recall may be the quad tips.

After seeing some of the youtube videos where the driver really floored the ST, I noticed that great mustang sound coming from the ST. This may be why the tips are fake, to get that sound without changing the exhaust system. "Down-turned tips, particularly those that dump underneath the car, can deepen the exhaust note by bouncing sound off the ground and using the undercarriage as a resonator."

fake tips.JPG

Good example of fake tips and downward exhaust.

STUPID STUPID STUPID I hate non functioning beauty items!! /rant

Tesla S with tips and sound:

Did you notice the 130MPH in the video, 518HP. Impressive
NOTE: Video from Germany, 130KPH = 81MPH, fake tips and sound

Lmao.. that's so stupid.

Check out the exhaust sounds of this 2020 Explorer ST:

Since when does Ford let 16yr olds test their vehicles?

Mixed feelings about the "Fake" tips. They will stay cleaner, but its kind of cool to see water vapor come out of the tips on cold mornings like here on my old Escape;

6945F89E-293F-4014-A152-57B5A70C0857.jpg

But I had to frequently take WD-40 to the tips and bumper to clean off the soot;

26123742-6BEF-4807-9FFD-3AF594302BB3.jpg

No, not stock. Magnaflow CatBack system. Not much was stock on that Escape, it was my custom 2016 Escape ST.

STUPID STUPID STUPID I hate non functioning beauty items!! /rant

They’re not non-functioning, they just exit downward.The block is recessed inside so you can’t tell unless you actually stick your fingers in the end of the pipe. And the Sport sound is fantastic. I engage it on a daily basis :cool: .

They’re not non-functioning, they just exit downward.The block is recessed inside so you can’t tell unless you actually stick your fingers in the end of the pipe. And the Sport sound is fantastic. I engage it on a daily basis :cool: .

Most reviews said that ST lacks exhaust sound. The sound from inside sounds nice but it is artificial. Maybe I am wrong.

Most reviews said that ST lacks exhaust sound. The sound from inside sounds nice but it is artificial. Maybe I am wrong.

No, you’re right. Same external sound regardless of mode. The sound from inside in Sport mode is artificial. And it sounds great. So is the performance. I don’t need exhaust noise on the outside; the view of the ST taillights gets the point across.

It is lame its artificial, but it still enhances the driving experience.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back